Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-09, 01:33 PM   #1
Nater1300
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile Yell or give advise

OK, some of you may want to yell and tell me to search for my answers, but some may want to share their do's and don'ts with me.

I am getting ready to take my boat out this weekend for the first time after getting her running The boat is a '95 Nitro 170dc with 115hp Merc. Until now, the most experience driving a boat was an aluminum boat with a outboard and a handle throttle (I did have electric trim though).

Just wanted to ask the seasoned vetrans some things I need to watch for, besides the obvious:

- Make sure the plug is in
- Make sure the rear tie-downs are removed before backing in
- Make sure the motor is up before backing in (and pulling out)
- Make sure you hook a rope to the front of the boat before pushing off trailer

I am taking my two daughters and don't want to ruin their first fishing trip!
Nater1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 01:40 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Put in gas and make sure you have oil. Check your batteries to make sure they are fully charged. If you can and have muffs, I would start it before you get to the lake.

Oh, and bring food/drink for the girls and maybe some toys if you are planning on fishing. It'll give them something to do.

Good luck!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 02:02 PM   #3
bcklash

cell phone
Old 08-20-09, 02:11 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Duct tape, screwdrivers (slotted and phillips), several crescent wrenches, LED FLASHLIGHT!
Old 08-20-09, 02:16 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
cell phone
IF you've got your cellphone, don't fall in! (I know woody would want someone to pass this advice on for him! )

BB
Old 08-20-09, 02:22 PM   #6
Abbeysdad

I'm not a seasoned veteran with a mere 6 launches in the last month or so, but thought I'd offer a couple of things.
> In your launch procedure, disconnect your trailer lights and leave the bow safety line on until just before you crank the winch to set her afloat. Depending on their ages, you can let the girls take the ropes or tie off to the dock before you push off the trailer.
> Make sure you have the appropriate safety gear (for me that means CGA fire extinguisher, flares, distress flag, first aid kit, throwable flotation device preferably w/rope, paddle/hook).
> Make sure those girls wear a PFD (If it's not the law there like it is in NY, tell them it is!)

Good call on drinks, snacks and books/toys (abbey likes her DS and last time out she even brought a portable DVD player (jeez).
Also good call on tools/tool kit.

Our first few times out were tough - hope yours are easier/better!

Oh and one more thing - no matter what happens stay cool and think calmly before acting - the girls will follow your lead to the tenth power - if you're concerned, they'll be scared. I remember when we had motor trouble, Abbey got real scared (we're not sure why, but we had to reassure her that it would be okay.)

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 08-20-09 at 02:46 PM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 02:52 PM   #7
Nater1300
BassFishin.Com Member

Good call on the tools, would have forgot them as well as first aid kit, flares, something for girls if they get bored (6 & 8 years old and LOVE to fish). I would not have forgot phone, but thanks to BB144 I will put it in a zip-loc to keep dry. Girls will definately be wearing PFD (law here in IN too if under 13 I believe). What about bathroom? I am covered, but don't know if I can talk the girls into going in a bucket
Old 08-20-09, 02:55 PM   #8
flfireman

TP any island or let them jump in the water. All works out. My 4 y/o goes off the back w/ me holding her from falling in. Little trickier down here, we have large things that might like a shiny,white hiny to bite.
Old 08-20-09, 03:24 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
TP any island or let them jump in the water. All works out. My 4 y/o goes off the back w/ me holding her from falling in. Little trickier down here, we have large things that might like a shiny,white hiny to bite.
Haha, yeah...I used to be sweating bullets sometimes cast netting near the jetties. Crazy hungry critters in FL for sure.
Old 08-20-09, 06:03 PM   #10
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
IF you've got your cellphone, don't fall in! (I know woody would want someone to pass this advice on for him! )

BB
Thanks for passing that on, BB.

Who needs enemies, when you've got friends like this! LOL

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 06:07 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Awww...cummon, you only hurt the ones you love!!!
Old 08-20-09, 07:03 PM   #12
bamabassman

i got your back woody. lol, enough of the kidding ol woody now, hahaha. he just might THROW ya'll in next year. ( looking out for number 1 here,hehehe) looks like you got everything covered except for the "bathroom", go to wally world or any place like that and get yourself a little protable potty. i got one, works great. just take a beach towel to hold up as a screen. oh yea, toilet paper, remember that now. lol. take sunscreen and bug spray too.
Old 08-20-09, 07:08 PM   #13
JB

lifejackets and have everyone wear them when you run and keep one on those who can't swim
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 07:09 PM   #14
bamabassman

jb is right, also have a throwable perserve. seat cushion type is what i have.
Old 08-20-09, 07:47 PM   #15
Bob Smith

I like the Muffs idea, always good to make sure the motor runs before you get to the lake. You can avoid an embarrassin moment on a busy ramp trying to get it started while it's sitting on the trailer.
Once you get it launched, everyone crawls in and get's seated. Now it's time to punch the throttle and go, well maybe but first trim the motor all the way down. This is especially true if you have quite a load in the boat. Once it falls over onto the pad you can start trimming it up. If you have a waterpressure gage and an RPM gage, trim it till you get the best RPM without compromising too much water pressure (with a GPS you can also tell what your max speed is while you are trimming. If you go too high you will actually lose speed, so there is definitely a sweet spot).
Now coming off the pad/plane, first trim the motor back down and let it glide in. Just before the boat settles completely into the water you'll need to goose the throttle a little to keep from getting a backwash onto your back deck (or worse yet into the cockpit and down the back of your britches!).
Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-09, 07:49 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
...avoid an embarrassin moment on a busy ramp trying to get it started while it's sitting on the trailer.
<whistles>....
Old 08-21-09, 07:46 AM   #17
Nater1300
BassFishin.Com Member

How do you guys usually launch? Back in, hook up rope, push her out and pull in to shore??? I DON'T want to be the idiot that everyone laughs at while gettin her in the water
Old 08-21-09, 08:52 AM   #18
Abbeysdad

Pre-launch:
1) Remove back straps
2) Check plug (I put mine in before I leave home)
3) Tilt motor up
4) Pump fuel Primer
5) Run bow/stern dock lines to front
6) Put fenders out
7) Disconnect trailer lights.

Launch:
1) Back down the ramp into the water (With my bunk trailer, I need to make sure my trailer fenders are just under water so the rear floats)
2) Put in park and set emergency brake, leave vehicle running
3) Hand the ropes off to helpers or tie bow line off
4) Disconnect bow safety cable
5) Work wench and disconnect strap
6) Push boat off trailer
7) Ensure boat is secure (with helpers or tie off on dock)
8) Drive rig to parking area
9) Leave float plan on dash*
10) Lock vehicle

ALWAYS make sure somebody knows you're going out on the water and when you plant to return.
* A (seldom used) float plan form has description information about the vessel, # in party, arrival/departure time, intended destination etc. Although recommended during the NYS boating safety course, they seem rarely used. However, if you were reported missing, the info could become invaluable to searchers.

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 08-21-09 at 09:01 AM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 09:39 AM   #19
nofearengineer

I usually take the transom straps and saver off, make sure everything is ready to fish, and attach my dock lines to my cleats. I back in, disconnect the bow strap, climb on, drive over to the dock, tie off, then go park my truck. Come back, and go get skunked (usually...it is Summer, right? )
Old 08-21-09, 09:41 AM   #20
Bob Smith

Abbeysdad gave you a good idea of how a lot of people do it. Personally, it depends on whether or not you someone with you who is competent at backing a vehicle -or- operating the boat.
If you have one or the other, then get the trailer lined up on the ramp (after checking to make sure all the plugs are in, the motor is raised, the straps are off and the bow is unhooked, etc). Then one of you needs to crawl in the boat and the other needs to back down the ramp. once the boat floats off the trailer, the driver can pull the trailer off the ramp and park it while the boat operator can start the motor and idle over to a pickup point to gather the passenger/s. This is best case scenario.

When I am by myself or have an inexperienced passenger, I do all the preparatory stuff before I position the truck and trailer on the ramp. I then disengage my bow winch and pull about 3-4' of slack in the web strap. Then I ease down the ramp, float the boat, then pull the truck up far enough to crawl in the boat from the trailer. I start the motor and idle over to a spot nearby that I can either beach or tie the boat off. I then go remove my truck and trailer from the ramp, load my passenger/s into the boat and go fishing!
Old 08-21-09, 01:35 PM   #21
Randy
BassFishin.Com Member

As for an on boaed "potty" for the lady's. Took alot of convincing to my wife that the livewell makes a great potty. Carpet to sit on, rear fold down seat to lean back on, but she still makes me hold the towel up so no one will see her little butt. Leave the pump on for a while and she's all done. Beats the heck out of finding a RR at a park or going all the way back to the ramp. She won't even think about getting in the water. She has seen way to many gators and snakes for that.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 01:57 PM   #22
Nater1300
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the input guys! This forum is GREAT
Hope to get the boat out this weekend...wife blew up last night because I was going to go out with the girls and not her (mind you, she has to work) It was an ugly discussion so not sure what the weekend will hold.
Old 08-22-09, 10:22 AM   #23
Wags
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Wags Send a message via Yahoo to Wags

Nater....glad to see I wasn't the only one somewhat intimidated about the process of launching a full-sized bass boat. This has been my first full-season with a 19 ft. Ranger and to be honest, I had second guessed the purchase in the early stages because of the anxiety I felt when it came to launch and load the boat fearing total embarrassment at the launch. I really loved my 12' Meyers which was all decked out with platforms and bow troller and the like,....and I could could throw that thing in and out of the water in my sleep!! I had just recently told my wife that I no longer miss that little boat and am starting to get really comfortable with the new (used) toy. It will get easier every time you go out, try to get into a routine, doing things in the same order which will make it more difficult to forget something !! Have a ball my friend, especially with the girls!!!
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-09, 02:59 PM   #24
Nater1300
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok all,
The first outing is under my belt and we had a blast!! Thanks to all of your input, launching, driving and loading went very well. No embarrassing moments I could not get the motor going at first. The only thing I noticed that was different than starting it in the driveway was that in the lake, I had the trim up quite a bit to keep the prop off the bottom. I pushed off and used the trolling motor to get out a bit, cranked her over and popped it into gear. She ran a little rough at first (been sitting for a couple years) but once I ran for a while it really smoothed out. Everyone caught a fish! My wife caught the biggest, both the girls caught a bluegill and I caught a SMALL largemouth! All in all a good day. EVeryone came home with a smile...that's all that matters right?

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 08-22-09, 03:07 PM   #25
Nater1300
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh, before I forget, on the trip back my screen went out on my fish finder?? It still chirps when I hit buttons and the light works but nothing on the screen. Anyone else ever have this problem? It is a Tracker Wide Eye that came with the boat.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.