Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-09, 08:31 AM   #1
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default How to dock a boat.

How do you glide into a dock and then put the motor into reverse or whatever to cause the boat to settle gently alongside and paralell to the dock. I've never been able to figure that out.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-09, 08:42 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I turn off the motor and use my troller most times I am alone. Otherwise, it is trial and error. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 09-05-09, 09:13 AM   #3
Culln5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
How do you glide into a dock and then put the motor into reverse or whatever to cause the boat to settle gently alongside and paralell to the dock. I've never been able to figure that out.
It's all about the speed and angle. I use a "bump" method most often. No, not bumping the boat into the dock, LOL, bumping the motor in/out of gear. Slow and almost parrall should help you out.
Old 09-05-09, 09:37 AM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culln5 View Post
It's all about the speed and angle. I use a "bump" method most often. No, not bumping the boat into the dock, LOL, bumping the motor in/out of gear. Slow and almost parrall should help you out.
I agree with George here.. What sucks is getting it perfect, and the frikkin wind blows ya away from the dock..Add string of cuss words here...

zooker
Old 09-06-09, 10:36 PM   #5
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My 3rd time or so out and back I was waiting my turn to dock. I saw this guy head into the dock at an angle, cut his motor with just enough momentum to reach it and he just casually stepped out of the bow and tied it off (while his prissy looking lady friend just sat and watched).
I've been doing that since and it works really well. The only downside is that sometimes the stern swings too far away - I need to work on that some more.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-09, 10:52 PM   #6
Christopherkeene9

If the stern swings out after you've tied it, just use the motor to bring it back in.

I can't comment too much on method for the low profile single motors. But a large side area twin motor vessel is fun and actually very manueverable until you get the side area into the wind and tide.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 10:34 AM   #7
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9 View Post
If the stern swings out after you've tied it, just use the motor to bring it back in.
Well the motor is off and I'm on the dock so I just have someone else in the boat throw me the stern line - If I was alone, I still think I'd just get back in and step out with the stern line...but your right, if the motor was still running and the bow is tied off, idle speed in reverse would bring the stern into the dock nicely. I think with what I'm doing, a slight 'rudder' maneuver just before the bow kiss would bring the stern in close to the dock - just need to fine tune a bit more.
Old 09-09-09, 11:44 PM   #8
Christopherkeene9

Didn't realize you cut the motor. I'm used to never turning the motor off, from the time we leave till we get back, even if its on for 18 hours.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 09:46 AM   #9
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9 View Post
Didn't realize you cut the motor. I'm used to never turning the motor off, from the time we leave till we get back, even if its on for 18 hours.
With a large twin engine, I'd likely leave it on as well - saw a cool, new twin engine with a joystick and the boat would move true sideways for docking. Pretty slick.
Old 10-05-09, 02:18 PM   #10
BeaverIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
My 3rd time or so out and back I was waiting my turn to dock. I saw this guy head into the dock at an angle, cut his motor with just enough momentum to reach it and he just casually stepped out of the bow and tied it off (while his prissy looking lady friend just sat and watched).
I've been doing that since and it works really well. The only downside is that sometimes the stern swings too far away - I need to work on that some more.
Exactly how I do it. Easy as can be.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 07:33 PM   #11
woody

Hey Abbey,
Here is another approach that you could try using the next time you're docking your boat by yourself. Throw your stern-line onto the dock during approach, so when it does try to drift away from you, you can pull it back around easily.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 08:50 AM   #12
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Hey Abbey,
Here is another approach that you could try using the next time you're docking your boat by yourself. Throw your stern-line onto the dock during approach, so when it does try to drift away from you, you can pull it back around easily.
-Mark
Yep...Last couple of times, just before stepping up into the bow, I turn the motor off and turn the wheel which then has the motor act as a rudder and brings the stern in. Alone, I could toss the stern line or, since I have 20' lines, I might step out of the bow with both bow and stern lines in hand. The key I think is the angle, speed and coast into the dock. The last several times it's all worked really great. Last time out I had to wait my turn to get in and boats were stacking up. It was like dance there in the channel as boats docked and came out - but it was all good and smooth. Time before last, we came in with some wind and choppy water. That was just a little trickier adjusting for it, but just another test (B+).
Why before long, I'll just drive this thing right into the parking lot and jump on the trailer! <hehe>

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.