Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-06, 07:17 PM   #1
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Back from Kentucky/ Barkley Lake trip!

Just got back from Kentucky/Barkley Lake. It was a nice trip....went down Sunday morning and we stayed at Barkley State Resort Park.....I fished that afternoon and got 7 bass.....one on a senko on marina ramp, one on a ribbon tail blue fleck worm, one on a carolina rigged sweet beaver on a rocky point, and 4 on a drop shotted robo worm around the dock....hecj U even got a good sized rock bass....first one I have ever gotten....went swimming to cool off cause it was really hot then got back at them that night about 9 pm.....caught 4 more with the biggest about 3lbs on a white tube rigged weightless thrown around the dock.....they were suspended off in the light........
Day 2...
Got out at 5 AM and got 10 bass on senkos along all the rip rap down from the resort....three of them were keepers about 16 or 17 inches.....measured them with my rod and just checked it out.....they were about 6 inches off the bank and they were only hitting on green pumpkin senkos....fished them on 17lb green line.....great morning action....after the bite slowed went back to dropshotting and I got two more shorts and then picked up a camo lizard and went to work on the dock and got three pretty quick one of them was a small kentucky bass about 12 inches.....it was a good morning all together... my dad didn't get out until the morning bite was over and we ate breakfast and we went to check out Kentucky lake.....we both fished the point by the 68 bridge and I got two smaller largies about 13 and 14 inches...blah! My dad didn't get anything....I got them on a t rigged power worm in green pumpkin by throwing it on the weed beds and pulling it off.....we then decided to go see what was on the ky lake side and it was kinda a mistake cause there really isn't much up that way....we both thought it seemed like there was more up there....well we checked out Moor's to see what it was....fished around the docks and I got a couple on a 12 inch plum worm.....one of the bass picked the worm up and didn't even get a hook in him and I pulled him out on the tail of the worm....I guess they liked it! The sandy flat I cranked and didn't get jack.....don't think there was nothing there!.....Then we came back and went swimming and cooled off and hung out.......
went out to do some fishing later that night and it started to get pretty dark out as a storm with lighting was blowing in....so went back to the room....big storm hit...knocked out the tv.....got some good and much needed rain! The clock got knocked out too I guess cause I woke up and it said 5 am and I went out of the room and went fishing and the sun wouldn't come up...lol.. My dad came down with a rod and said .....man its 2:30 in the morning only! Since we were both up we fished and we got some nice shorts on 12 inch worms along the rip rap down from the hotel......fished to about 3:30 and went back to sleep...we were both fishing and we heard this noise that sounded like a engine starting and we were like what the heck is that....it was the rain moving across the lake...got poured on. went back... I got up at 5:30 again and I went down but my dad opted to stay in....got 25 bass and 3 were about 4lbs....two big ones were on senkos and the biggest one I got on a black sweet beaver....I hammered them all morning as it was cloudy and windy...got a couple on a white crankbait....also a few on the drop......my dad got down about 8:30 and the sun was just comming out and we both couldn't get anything! I didn't even get any pics cause I left the camera back in the room! This was the best moring by far....the water had gone up about 6 or 8 inches and it was more stained....we got some breakfast and decided to go into Paducah...we got some lunch at CC cohens...we talked and looked in some of the stores....one had a 350 dollar baseball card....found out some interesting information there and looked at the murals and walked the town some....went back that afternoon and checked out the bison/ elk trail in LBL and only saw 4 Elk there.....blah....no bison.....my dad said to get out the car and go find them...jokingly.....we got back and went swimming and went to bed early.....
got up at 5:00 am and and fished....I finally tried some topwater and got a 2 1/2 lb largemouth and a 2 pound 17 inch kentucky bass on a Clear Rico popper! the bite didn't last too long but it was pretty neat to see bass hitting on topwaters.....dad came down late again and got a couple on the dropshot but he had missed out on some topwater....

more to follow
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-06, 07:22 PM   #2
officerhoyt

It sounds like you had fun, and caught some nice fish too
officerhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-06, 07:58 PM   #3
Fishie1

thanks....caught a couple more that morning on senko and gulp turtle back worms......I had about 8 topwater fish....shad and baitfish were flicking everywhere....it was tight!.....used 17lb line we then rented a fishing boat and fished from 10 to 4:30 on Barkley and fished some bluff banks, a island....some back of coves around docks, points, rip rap banks and some shady spots....we got 8 in the boat....I got 6 and he got two...one of them was 19 inches and came on a camo lizard at about 4 o clock....we didn't fish the whole time...we also cruised the lake a lot to check it out.....it was fun and we got pretty taned up.....it wasn't too hot either.....just some quality time with dad....other fish were on dropshoted watermellon senko, 12 inch blue fleck purple worm, white crankbait, senkos t riged.....had a clear very high blue sky the whole day to work with and almost no wind...but it was like 82 degrees........ came back and got some dinner and went swimming and then went back down to the marina and fished back behind the slips and got some .....talked to a local angler a lot about the lake and learned some stuff....found out what was working for him and he talked about how this year there was a couple of people that got killed on the lake.....sad stories.....well he was catching them on blk blue paca craws......so .....I tied on some blk blue zoom craws that I got from FLFIREMAN and hammered some fish around the marina.........about 4 or 5....nothing big....went to bed at 9....tired as heck.....got up at 5 again and went to do some topwatering..one eye open..lol.....not the same as the day before but I did get some...got a few on a lizard in camo and some on worms....bite ended quick and nothing! The water was pulled down about a foot...He didn't get anything either!.... then we ate a quick breakfast and went and did some trap shotting I got 8 out of 25 and he hit 3..lol...he is a vietnam veternan but that was 30 years ago.....he said if I had a M 16 I would have hit some more...lol... It was the first time I ever fired a gun...now I can see what its about! We came back went swimming....we then took a road trip to hopkinsville. ..which is where we should have gone to get stuff....man I wish we would have gone this way sooner....theres not much on the KY lake side.....got some ribs at THE WOODSHED....nice little place....then we came back and chilled in the room........did some bassing around the marina and got a few on a buzzbait...two over 15 and got some on the crawl worm......got asked for a license by the warden and had a 15 day one...at least they are checking people! Went back to the room and we went down to the game room and played some pool.....and went to the fitness center to see what is going on there.....didn't feel like working out on vacation...lol....got late and we watched some samurai movie...people stabbing each other and stuff.....one with tom cruise in it...tight movie...went to sleep....got up today and fished a buzzbait cause of the success the other night and got a nice 16 incher on it....and got a couple on senkos and a powerworm....nice trip.... the bite was tapering off as the week went by cause of the pressure my dad and I were putting on the the area....lol... the water dropped about 2 feet since were were there and it made the fishing a lot harder......there also wasn't any shad getting pushed to the surface really today like the previous days.....whether it is cooler weather which might allow the fish to feed all day instead of really hitting in the morning like before or the water droping the fish were not cooperating that much.......guess we were leaving at the right time.......I have always gotten a fish at least 5 when I am down at the lake but not this time.....I didn't even get a pick of the bigger ones....just the keepers or little ones....I think it was pretty good in all.....I only saw one fish caught by someone else from a boat and it was small.....every one I talked to when they came in to put there boat on their trailor said they caught only a few.....they said that I did better than them...lol....

If your going down use
Green pumpkin senkos and watermellon
white bps crankbait 6 foot diver....
white buzzbait......
white and gold robo worms
12 inch worms in blue with blue fleck
camo lizards
zoom blk blue crawls
rico topwaters
white tubes......
17lb line 8lb for dropshot....
Old 08-19-06, 11:06 PM   #4
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well why don't you write a book! jk Long posts, but sounds like a lot of fun.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 07:26 AM   #5
Fishie1

lol thought some peeps on here would like details.....
Old 08-20-06, 12:41 PM   #6
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yeah I enjoyed it, just being a smartass.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.