Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-09, 04:10 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lawn Care Help

I have a newly seeded lawn , it was done last september. The grass is not real thick yet , it is kentucky 31 fescue. I have 4 acres. I want to do the lawn care myself. How many pounds per acre of triple 12 would be good ? I dont want to burn up what I got. Thanks for your input.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 10:02 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

triple 12? man, that's kinda harsh i think pal. ifn it were me, i would LIME it. 1 ton per acre. every other month. then triple 8 on the off months.
Old 04-29-09, 10:39 PM   #3
CMorg

Thanks for the input. I had it limed in september before I had it seeded. I had this big 3 wheel jobby hammerin down in my dirt. It was kinda cool.
Old 04-29-09, 11:12 PM   #4
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Forget the lime (no offense bama) and forget the other fertilizer. Get you 4 50 lbs bags of Amonia Nitrate 34-0-0 and put it on with a whirly bird. Grass will green right up. You could also throw some triple 10 if you like but I bet its not needed. Just guessing on the trip 10 but if you want it to thicken up in a hurry nitrogen is the way to go.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 07:16 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I built in the woods. One of the reasons was so I didn't have a lawn. Doubt this helps. I'm sorry
Old 04-30-09, 07:37 PM   #6
bamabassman

barkely...you are right my friend on the amonia nitrate. but it is hard to get ain't it? if not, where? for real. i am wanting to do some things in my yard. i got spots of grass, and want it to spread. gonna re-seed the whole thang with something. don't or can't decide which seed to use right now. decisions, decisions......hahahahaha.
Old 04-30-09, 07:42 PM   #7
CMorg

Awsome guys , thanks very much. I am gonna get on it as soon as this rain quits....if it ever quits.
Old 05-01-09, 08:28 AM   #8
Captmikestarrett

My lawn just grows like krazy. Wife cuts it so if I make it grow more or better I am in trouble.

Capt Mike
Old 05-01-09, 01:54 PM   #9
barkelypup

bama,

Nitrogen is readily available up here in Kentucky at our Southern States dealer. KY 31 is one of the best seeds to sow in my opinion. Its a good endophyte free fescue so if you want to feed it to cows you can do that too. But it is great for yards. I got a farm and don't do no hay or anything like that however I do have a U pick berry buisness and I go through about 5 or 6 bags a year. I have not had any trouble getting it however they do ask for your drivers license every time due to its other uses. That is why it is such a pain to get. I would try any local farm supply store.
Old 05-01-09, 05:21 PM   #10
66KingFisher

I'm just surprised any of the guys on this forum would know anything about lawn care...hehehe....I figured all anglers would be too busy fishin to mess with lawns....lol.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 05:37 PM   #11
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
I'm just surprised any of the guys on this forum would know anything about lawn care...hehehe....I figured all anglers would be too busy fishin to mess with lawns....lol.

My lawn care consists of a 2 gallon spray bottle and 2 gallons of diesel.
Guaranteed to let you go fishing on the weekends for 2 months before you need to do any more "lawn care".
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 07:50 PM   #12
bamabassman

hahahaha 66 and doc. well i don't have 10 acres like i did in south bama. 100 by 200 lot now. don't want a feild to mow twice a week anymore either. but i do want a nice yard. and thanks barkley. i'll look into the seed you mentioned. and the nitrate too.
Old 05-02-09, 12:15 AM   #13
MississippiBoy

If you're having a problem with coverage, just plant some kudzu. That'll solve all your problems.

What, you don't know how to plant kudzu? Easy...take a little piece of it, say 6 inches long. Just a single straight piece, you don't need any leaves or anything. Walk out to where you want it to grow, throw it on the ground, and RUN LIKE HELL!!
Old 05-02-09, 07:47 AM   #14
Bo Dale James Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
If you're having a problem with coverage, just plant some kudzu. That'll solve all your problems.

What, you don't know how to plant kudzu? Easy...take a little piece of it, say 6 inches long. Just a single straight piece, you don't need any leaves or anything. Walk out to where you want it to grow, throw it on the ground, and RUN LIKE HELL!!

Now.....That is funny!!!!
Old 05-02-09, 08:24 AM   #15
bamabassman

funny........but true too. that stuff is everywhere down here in da south. good for cattle. lots of protein. good fer snakes too though.
Old 05-02-09, 08:25 AM   #16
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post

Damm , I didnt know anything about kudzu , until this post....which makes this post funny now....

http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/
Old 05-04-09, 05:45 PM   #17
3dkicker

Anybody have advice for gettting rid of Bermuda grass?
Old 05-04-09, 09:07 PM   #18
barkelypup

Depends on what and how your wanting to get rid of it. Are you wanting to save other grass around it? If you are wanting a clean kill get some round up. If you are wanting a select type herbicide there is non I know of. gramoxone will also do the trick but its liable to come back next year. It would be a cheaper quick fix but the risk of coming back is there.

bP
Old 05-05-09, 04:22 PM   #19
3dkicker

This stuff I'm dealing with takes showers in Round up and laughs at me!!! I'd like to keep the grass and I tried the Bayer brand Bermuda Control that cost me $30. I was told it works. I've applied it twice with no success as far as I can tell and will do a third time in a couple weeks. If it doesn't work I'm mailing the bottle back to the company with a receipt and pictures for a refund.
Old 05-05-09, 05:43 PM   #20
bamabassman

3d...go to the hardware store. pick out a sturdy pionted shovel. and DIG. only way i know of to get rid of it if ya don't want it.
Old 05-05-09, 10:08 PM   #21
barkelypup

HMMMM,
My college degree (which ain't worth much) is in Ag and I have worked alot with chemicals. Try Gramoxone. also know as Paraquat. That stuff will burn foliage off anything it touches. Does Round up stunt it any? That stuff you buy at lowes is very weak. Don't ever trust those pre mixed things. I'm not saying you are but they are not very good in my opinion. Buy the concentrate and mix your own. Also on the stuff you have for Bermuda. Is it a grandular? Some of that stuff if grandular needs a rain to activte. To be honest Nut Sedge is about the only thing I've seen round up not kill. It will stunt it but not kill it. Make sure to read the label carefully. And make sure not to get any of that crap on you. Not trying to sound bossy or anything but if it can kill a weed it can also do damage to you.

I say Gramoxone though. You might have to hit it after burns it the first time but if you need two treatments the second will dry it up.

Hope this helps.

bP

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.