Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-09, 10:28 AM   #26
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I really don't know. He never talked about it a lot. I know he was a electricions mate on a tanker in the south Pacific. I imagine my sister knows because she does the geneology stuff. One of the only things I really remember him talking about was when his ship got orders to head to midway for that battle. They got just out of harbor and one of the engines failed so they had to turn back. He said he felt like somebody was really looking out for the crew of his ship that day.
Old 05-09-09, 02:55 PM   #27
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Here it is.
My mistake about the midway thing. But there was something about one of the times the ship brokedown that if it hadn't it would of been cruising right into some sort of battle. Least that's what I remember pop telling me.

Klaskanine

Klaskanine (AOG-63) was laid down 24 April 1944 by the East Coast Shipyard Inc., Bayonne, N.J., under a Maritime Commission contract: launched 3 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Thomas Harris; acquired by the Navy 26 February and commissioned 8 March 1945, Lt. R. O. Kostelak in command.

Klaskanine cleared New York 26 March; and, after shakedown in Chesapeake Bay, steamed to the Pacific, arriving San Diego 27 May. The small tanker loaded diesel oil and sailed for Pearl Harbor 4 days later. When her main engine broke down 6 June midway to her destination, she was towed to Pearl Harbor, arriving 14 June. Klaskanine operated as a shuttle tanker among the Hawaiian and mid-Pacific Islands through the summer.

After getting underway for Eniwetok 31 August, the oiler once again was stopped by engine failure before completing her cruise. Following repairs at Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor 21 September 1945 to 24 January 1946, Klaskanine put into San Francisco 7 February 1946 and decommissioned there 25 March 1946. She was returned to WSA the same day and later sold to Brazil. She at present serves the Brazilian Navy as Raza (G-19).

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.