Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-05, 03:04 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Personal best smallie

Hit the lake yesterday evening after the storms rolled through and was not having any luck in the usual spots I fish, so we decided to try a steep rocky bank. One of the baits I hardly ever use is a hula grub but had decided a couple of weeks ago to try it on some steep rocky banks so I had a football jig head tied on. I rigged up a smoke pepper grub and on the second or third cast had a hard hit. Set the hook and landed a beautiful pound and a half smallie. Considering I am in south Texas the fact there even are smallies down here is surprising. I missed a couple more-still getting used to that heavy jig head, but considering all I usually catch are largemouths it was a nice surprise, not to mention the biggest smallmouth I have ever caught. Forgot the dang camera, though .

Nitro-we were on Canyon on the south side of the lake east across the cove from Comal Park. There is a real steep bank and we were sitting in about 25 feet of water about 30 feet from the bank and threw up shallow and stair stepped the jigs down into deep water.

Last edited by Rebbasser; 07-17-05 at 03:11 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-05, 05:32 PM   #2
Justin Case
BassFishin.Com Member

Rebbasser, Way to go, Remember the hula grub can be dropshot bait as well, remember to use a slender cylinder type weight in weeds to come through the weeds. Your on your way to be the Texas smallmouth Guru. P N J
Old 07-17-05, 07:33 PM   #3
lizardsrule

Congrats, makes me jealous just reading it.

Lizards
Old 07-17-05, 07:41 PM   #4
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm sorta surprised to hear that there are smallies that far south. That 1.5#er probably fought pretty well if it was anything like northern smallies. To paraphrase Will Rogers, "I never met a smallie I didn't like."

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-05, 08:05 PM   #5
Rebbasser

It did, Marty-felt a lot bigger than it was. Sure was fun, though!
Old 07-17-05, 08:13 PM   #6
JB

I wish we all could go up to Lake Eric and fish for the smallmouth up there around middle bass island.

There other spots to, but that is closest to us, its about 200 miles,
Ya throw twister tails or tubes, just like bass fishing, we take a ferry over and most days the waves wont swamp ya, a big red tourist boat comes in close every hour and throws a helluva wake that almost floods out any ranger,
but its well worth it...every smallmouth up there is 3-4-5 or bigger, they look like footballs, bad thing is, most anglers go up there and keep the smallies to eat..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.