Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-07, 10:31 PM   #1
Labman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default River Bassing help???

I was wondering if you guys and gals can give me some help. Im going to start fishing a wednesday evening bass tourney on a river system. Its in Illinois Where the Illinois river starts. It is acually the Kankakee and Desplaines rivers. They merge to form the illini. There is a good population of smallies and largmouths. I have looked at the satelite view and see alot of backwaters, islands and bridges. What presentations would you start with and what is your setup? Let me me hear it...

I have been checking this site out for a while and see alot of hardcore finatics here. So come on and impress me!!

Thanks for all your help.

Labman

P.S. Anyone from around there?

revise: I meant kankakee not kaskaskia

Last edited by Labman; 06-07-07 at 10:43 PM.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 09:22 AM   #2
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome aboard -great signature by the way -Check this thread in the new to fishing section- it's a good place to start. Good luck!

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=12244
Old 06-08-07, 11:16 AM   #3
NJBassDevil
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Soft JerkBait works really good for smallies in the river where I am from. I fish the Delaware River and have caught some nice bass (from the banks) using a soft jerkbait. Other lures are Zara Spooks in low light condition and in slack water. Not to much success in current with the spook. White tubes. Supposedly the white is supposed to pi$$ them off. IDK why but they love this bait. Spinnerbait are another good choice for laydowns and trees. Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-07, 11:18 AM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

lab,
downsize the lures you use on the river, look for edy's (calm water) that is right next to a current, for instance a log has one side that is getting hit with the current, fish the other side...I'd also just target any creeks that feed the river system...You may want to stick with black plastics if the water clarity is murky, or a junebug...
River morning fishing usually means a smaller size buzz bait or popR.
Small jigs work too...under or around any bridge or ramp is good, many tournament release fish are near ramps...stick to smaller crankbaits or single colorado spinnerbaits.
River fishing can be tough, but the fish pull really hard when caught. good luck
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 01:20 PM   #5
BassAddict

Most of the tournaments I fish are on a river system (James/Chicahomany/Potomac). I have my best luck like JB said with smaller baits. I use 4" worms, 3/16 oz. Baby Boo jigs, and small cranks and spinnerbaits. You can still catch bigger fish with these smaller baits in the river. Wing dams, pillings, trees, are all things to look for (current breaks). A lot of times fish will be shallower in rivers in the summer time then they will be in lakes. You can still catch bass in 6" of water in a river. It's better though if you have deeper water close by. Black/blue, junebug, blue fleck, and green pumpkin are my favorite colors. If the river your fishing had pads or grass... then flip it. You may have to fish long stretches of it to get bit but a lot of times you'll find better fish in there. One other thing to consider is the tide. I catch most of my fish the last couple hours of out going through the first couple hours of in coming water. I'm on my best stuff with this tide and I usually run with the tide to fish as many spots as I can with that tide.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 02:04 PM   #6
Labman
BassFishin.Com Member

Sweet. Thanks for the replys. I have most of what you talk about in my boat already. So I wont have to spend a bunch of money. When you say small spinners, are you refering to maybe 3/16-1/4 oz? Lake bassing, I always use 1/2 or 5/8 oz. even 3/4 when fishing deep. So Im thinking I should target smallmouths? Do you agree? I know they are the best fighters but will my chances at heavier fish be large or smallmouths in a river? Thanks Again. Im building confidence as the plot thickens!!!!Labman
Old 06-08-07, 03:46 PM   #7
3dkicker

Do you have any more information on the river? Like the current flow? and how much cover? Is it Rocky? Wood? Pads? Grass? What's the water color? What type of bottom? Sand, mud, pebble, rocks? How deep is the river? The bends and feeder creeks?

I looked up the river and was wondering where you'll be launching from? The state park, Kankakee, Joliet, or Morris? Looks like there is plenty of man made structure, islands, and feeder creeks. Do you have access to the ponds or lakes? How long of a run is it from one town or city to the others?
Old 06-08-07, 10:00 PM   #8
BassAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Sweet. Thanks for the replys. I have most of what you talk about in my boat already. So I wont have to spend a bunch of money. When you say small spinners, are you refering to maybe 3/16-1/4 oz? Lake bassing, I always use 1/2 or 5/8 oz. even 3/4 when fishing deep. So Im thinking I should target smallmouths? Do you agree? I know they are the best fighters but will my chances at heavier fish be large or smallmouths in a river? Thanks Again. Im building confidence as the plot thickens!!!!Labman
As far as spinnerbaits ... I'll use as small as 1/8 oz- 3/8 oz. We have smallmouth in the upper portion of the James River but I mostly fish for the largemouths. Where most of the smallmouth action is, is above the fall line and you can't run through the rocks to get there but if you could I would definately fish more for them. As far as weight ... if there are big smallies in your river then go for them but if the largemouths are huge then you have to think about them too. Your going to have to figure that one out by just fishing. With the smaller profile baits you stand a good chance of catching both.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 08:23 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

WEEDS man find the WEEDS. I fish several rivers down here in arkieslaw and weeds are the answer. A big plus is the addition of horizontal cover. There is an abundance of vertical cover. Find the weeds and wood cover where it will remain good water depth no matter what stage the river is at. For instance a bluff bank. When you have deep water plus the weeds and wood cover you have found some bass that will MOST likley be there all the time. Shallow bass will move with the water.
Old 06-16-07, 08:25 AM   #10
JB

Also keep in mind to downsize lures, like using a 4 inch redshad powerworm or smaller craw....I'd work that spinnerbait alot too over fallen timbers.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 08:39 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
WEEDS man find the WEEDS.
In the biggest river around Indiana, and Ohio, Kentucky, there are few weeds to find in the muddy Ohio river. I would love to have had more, but alas no such luck. The fish really were on the 1000's of laydowns as much as anyplace.

Pick up some Baby Paca Craws, and throw them arouind laydowns, they always work well in rivers. Also the downsizing usually was the ticket 4" worms were sweet.

Lizards
Old 06-18-07, 09:14 AM   #12
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

quarter ounce tandem willowleaf blades in silver, spinnerbait body either white or chartreuse. Take off the skirt and replace with a 3 or 4 inch smoke grub with silver metallic flake.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 01:36 PM   #13
Wishing2BFishing

Twin Tail Hula Grubs!!! For stained/muddy water, use smoke or junebug. If the water is clear, green pumpkin. Texas rig em' on a Katsu Pro Jobee Hook if you can find them. The river fish seem to love this presentation.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.