Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-07, 10:15 PM   #1
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Smile Hey Island Bass - Drop shot worked!!!

My son and I got in some fishing this evening at a big old pond - tough place to shore fish, very overgrown. The bite was almost non-existent, My son caught a 15 incher on a yum dinger wacky rigged and I was skunked until I tried a little drop shot rig. My son was chasing fireflies and I rigged the drop shot... Blam! solid 16 incher - ok it was skinny as heck, but it worked!

Anyway, I'm writing this to thank Islandbasser for the dropshot article he wrote and e-mailed me. It did a great job of teaching a newbie to dropshotting how it is done!! If you haven't fished this way before it is a great way to fish certain locations. If your extra nice to IB he might send it to you!

Thanks again IB!
Old 07-05-07, 11:11 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well done, BH-isn't it great to catch one using a new technique?
Old 07-06-07, 07:32 AM   #3
brushhog

What was neat Reb, was that I was really just trying to figure out how to work the presentation when the fish hit! By the way, my son caught a hell of a nice snapping turtle ... definitely the catch(and release) of the day!
Old 07-07-07, 03:23 AM   #4
islandbass

Yee ha!!!!!! Way to go, brush hog!!!! You are well on your way, my young padawan.

I am glad that you tried it. One neat thing is while many use it for light line/finesse fishing, drop shotting can be adapted for heavier cover by using more powerful gear and bigger baits, and you can even use a casting set up. One person referred to it as the "alpha male drop shot" but I condensed it to alpha shot. Power shot doesn't sound too original.

Thanks for making my day.
Old 07-08-07, 12:52 AM   #5
Rebbasser

Island, I do all my dropshotting with a baitcaster. Didn't like using a spinning reel so I got a light action Falcon Coastal topwater rod and it works like a charm.
Old 07-09-07, 04:29 AM   #6
islandbass

I have used a baitcaster and will use it if the conditions dictate (eg, heavier cover) and I only have one beef with it. I dislike having to pull off line to help the bait achieve a more vertical drop with 3/16 oz weights or less. In this aspect, a spinning reel has a bc reel beat. Other than that, I don't have a problem. I love "alpha shotting" with a casting reel.
Old 07-09-07, 08:23 PM   #7
Rebbasser

I use a heavier weight and cast it. Most of my drop shotting isn't completely vertical, but I cast it out and drag it back. I don't think the size of the weight matters so long as it gets the rig to the bottom. But, as I have long said, use what works for YOU, not what works for somebody else.
Old 07-09-07, 08:46 PM   #8
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

I was dropshotting in heavy cover this past weekend and made the mistake of not using heavy enough gear. I thought about it after a very large bass took my little #4 hook through a large weedbed and wapped it around a tree. I got skunked for the whole tournament and that fish could have really helped my standings. I will use heavier line and a baitcaster next time in thick cover like that. Nice to see someone else is already doing so.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.