Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-09, 12:39 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default dumb question

ok i have a question that is probably gonna seem dumb and out of no where.

ok lets say my livewells hold 30 gallons of water. and lets say that water weighs 8lbs a gallon (just for a round figure). that means with my livewells full i have an extra 240 lbs in the boat. but lets say i add 20lbs of fish to the livewell, at first it would seem that i am now carrying 260 lbs. but does the weight of the fish add weight to the boat. i know that things weight less in water but i am not talking about that, lets just say the fish weight the same in the water as out of it because my question is since the fish are suspended in the water and not sitting on the bottom of the livewell am i carrying their weight? i am carrying the weight of the water that they are in but since they aren't touching the boat i don't think i would be carrying their weight, they would raise the water level in the livewell but the extra water would also drain out so anybody have any thoughts?

by the way i was just bored at work the other night and started wondering this out of the blue.
Old 04-02-09, 12:45 PM   #2
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have no clue. I do know someone on another board who just finished school as a physicist, I can post the question there and ask him if you'd like, he's good with the math and stuff.
Old 04-02-09, 12:49 PM   #3
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

c-rig you have to much free time at work. LOL you should really check out www.hulu.com those online shows can really pass the time. BTW I have no clue about your question.

Jerry
Old 04-02-09, 12:50 PM   #4
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I believe it's all about density and displacement...water actually changes weight at different temps.. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wa...ght-d_595.html
Old 04-02-09, 01:21 PM   #5
Love of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
ok i have a question that is probably gonna seem dumb and out of no where.

ok lets say my livewells hold 30 gallons of water. and lets say that water weighs 8lbs a gallon (just for a round figure). that means with my livewells full i have an extra 240 lbs in the boat. but lets say i add 20lbs of fish to the livewell, at first it would seem that i am now carrying 260 lbs. but does the weight of the fish add weight to the boat. i know that things weight less in water but i am not talking about that, lets just say the fish weight the same in the water as out of it because my question is since the fish are suspended in the water and not sitting on the bottom of the livewell am i carrying their weight? i am carrying the weight of the water that they are in but since they aren't touching the boat i don't think i would be carrying their weight, they would raise the water level in the livewell but the extra water would also drain out so anybody have any thoughts?

by the way i was just bored at work the other night and started wondering this out of the blue.
Yes you still add thier weight to the boat. The fish is suspended in the water and the water is resting against your boat.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 01:29 PM   #6
bcklash

C-rig, you ever watched FLW weigh their fish -- they weigh them in a tub of water. Going by this I would say yes their weight will transfer to your boat.

I have heard some of their anglers complaining about weights being wrong. ( too high ).
Old 04-02-09, 01:31 PM   #7
Fishnngolfn

Love of the Sport is correct. There is another way you could figure it out if you don't believe it. Get a 5 gallon bucket of water. Put it on a scale. Then add a 2 lb fish.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 01:35 PM   #8
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love of the Sport View Post
Yes you still add thier weight to the boat. The fish is suspended in the water and the water is resting against your boat.
Beat me to it...
Old 04-02-09, 01:45 PM   #9
jcw1503

Yes the weight is added to it but not the entire weight of the fish...because some of the water will be displaced.... so the entire weight of the water and the fish will not be carried but I have no clue how to figure how much water will displace.....
Old 04-02-09, 01:48 PM   #10
cassidyta

Talking

If you can get them to jump , then their weight is negated. The falling elevator threory....
Old 04-02-09, 02:03 PM   #11
aikenyounggun

yeah they displace as much as they take up (volume.... actually how they teach it in elementary school) ..... but im not really sure if bass are denser than water.... i mean they do sink and all so i think they are ...... out they do maintain balance by an "air bladder".... so i think it does add weight but it also replaces a lot of weight when it displaces water..... ill ask my science teacher next period
Old 04-02-09, 02:30 PM   #12
MississippiBoy

Good point, Aiken...although I think everybody is thinking WAAAAY too hard about this...

Put this in your pipe and smoke it...if the bass can change its depth by inflating/deflating its bladder, then it's changing its density. If it wants to sink, it deflates the bladder, making it denser than water. If it wants to rise, it will inflate the bladder, then it becomes less dense.

Sooooo, if you put a bass in your livewell, it may have its bladder fully inflated, and will weigh less than the water it displaces when you put it in. Then over the course of the day, it may deflate the bladder, and weigh more than the water it displaced.

THEREFORE....your boat may weight MORE with the bass in the livewell, OR it may weigh LESS...

The definitive answer is.....IT DEPENDS
Old 04-02-09, 02:40 PM   #13
lowrider

wait, so the air, or lack of, inside a fish affects its weight? how much does air weigh? and how do you measure it?
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 02:45 PM   #14
jmartin

Its getting deep,but I love it. Makes my day go faster.

Jerry
Old 04-02-09, 02:46 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
Love of the Sport is correct. There is another way you could figure it out if you don't believe it. Get a 5 gallon bucket of water. Put it on a scale. Then add a 2 lb fish.
it's not the same though. a fish will raise the water level and in a 5 gallon bucket will weigh more. however in a livewell when the water raises it runs out the overfill drain so you are losing the wight of the water the fish displaces. i think the same thing goes for the flw weigh-in theory. one thing i don't understand about the flw weigh-ins is how they get accurate weights when a fish should weigh less in water than it would out of water.

i agree that we are thinking too hard about this but it was fun to get all the "smart" people at work scratching their heads over this question.
Old 04-02-09, 02:54 PM   #16
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
wait, so the air, or lack of, inside a fish affects its weight? how much does air weigh? and how do you measure it?

Well, all the air above your head, all the way to outer space, weighs about 14.7 lbs per square inch. How big is a bass's swim bladder? There's some kind of formula for figuring up how much air weighs, but it depends heavily on temperature and humidy. I'm guessing humidity would be fairly high (we are talking about something that's underwater), but temperature varies.
Old 04-02-09, 02:58 PM   #17
lowrider

don't call me an airhead... i've been googling and ask.com'ing, nothing so far but i'm not giving up. yet.
Old 04-02-09, 02:59 PM   #18
JB

this is all a ploy that once you figure its less weight it gives ya the "go ahead" to buy more tackle LOL

actually the water plus bass both add weight to the total rig, now go out there and fill up that livewell!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 02:59 PM   #19
MississippiBoy

There are 4 members looking at this thread right now....everybody must be bored out of their freaking minds...
Old 04-02-09, 03:02 PM   #20
lowrider

besides, when does c-rig have 20lbs in the well?? ha ha ha ha
Old 04-02-09, 03:03 PM   #21
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
this is all a ploy that once you figure its less weight it gives ya the "go ahead" to buy more tackle LOL

actually the water plus bass both add weight to the total rig, now go out there and fill up that livewell!
i can't go fill up the livewell if i have to take all my tackle out of the boat to compensate for the weight hahaha. my wife actually thought the same thing, she said "is this your way to justify buying more tackle"? lmao.
Old 04-02-09, 03:05 PM   #22
MississippiBoy

I agree, lowrider.....the whole premise of this thread is based on unrealistic parameters. All of our theories, suppositions, and calculations are bogus.
Old 04-02-09, 03:05 PM   #23
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
besides, when does c-rig have 20lbs in the well?? ha ha ha ha
it's been a few months haha.
Old 04-02-09, 03:06 PM   #24
cassidyta

I believe you also have to factor in barometric pressure in your equation. If I am not mistaken, the 14.7lbs per sq inch is an average. The higher the pressure, the more dense the molecules of the air are together. The greater density would throw off the PSI measurement.

Additionally, the water itself will displace differently. Brackish and warmer water will have a lighter weight than fresh, colder water for the same density based reasons.

Now, I believe that the weight of the fish should be something of a constant because it will not vary enough to change the results during the course of the day.
Old 04-02-09, 03:07 PM   #25
jmartin

Mississippiboy I think we are just waiting to see what comes up next, and yes slow day in the tire shop.

Jerry

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.