Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-09, 06:18 AM   #1
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Your best Dad story

I know alot of fisherman on here are young but what is your best Dad moment as a fisherman. My Dad died in 1986 and he himself did not fish but always was a part of taking me to the lake to fish because I loved it. My best memory was my Dad going with me to a creek, actually a section not yet a canal that in fact became a canal before I left L.A.. It feed from the Pomona fair grounds and there ponds so fish ended up in this creek. He actually walked their with me ( about a mile and a half ) and I used a lure I made myself. My Dad worked with wood and built stuff himself so I felt even more excitment fishing a lure I made myself. It was red and white and a sort of fly I made out of a #6 hook, I made him stand acrose the creek as I creeped to my spot. I cast out letting my made lure slowly fall into the water, suddenly wham it got eaten, I set the hook and reeled in a green sunfish ( no bass in this creek ). Of all my memories of my Dad and fishing this one seems to stand out as the best.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 08:18 AM   #2
Brute
BassFishin.Com Member

When I was about 5 years old, my dad took me out fishing on a boat for the first time.
On my first cast with my trusty Zebco 202, I sent it for a nice long ride.
I mean the rod and reel not the lure.
Luckily he had a topwater tied on for me.
We rowed over to where the plug was floating and he reached down to get it.
He pulled all of the line back up and guess what was still attached to the other end.
Now I know why you tie the line to the spool.
After he got all of the line reeled back in, he handed it to me and in a calm voice said " don't do that again".
40 plus years later, I haven't let go of another rod.
Thanks for the advice dad.

Brute
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 11:12 AM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hhhmmmm, probably when I was fishing with my dad and he hooked into a huge 10lber. That was really fun, next would be the times when we used to go salt water fishing and catch 20 jack a day!
Old 04-17-09, 02:13 PM   #4
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

ohhh man i have to sort through all the memories....... one of my favorite is the first time we were really nailen em on topwater and he was catchin em but the first strike i got it exploded so hard on that zara spook that i jumped up and never set the hook

another one was when we went back to Texas.....my dad tried to go pro in Texas so after my family moved and i was born in Aiken he always told me about Texas.... we went back one spring break and killed em.... i mean he knew the lakes like the back of his hand.... i was amazed by his knowledge..... he would be like its windy we need to get out of it and we want to catch fish but have a chance at a big one and we would motor over there..... one day 4 of us (dad, me , bro, and dad's friend) caught 40 fish over 4lbs in 4 hours..... one of the funnest weeks of my life..... we are going to go again sometime in the future

have a couple more but i will post those later.... bell is about to ring at school
Old 04-17-09, 03:00 PM   #5
zooker

my dad don't fish much...never has...now my uncle well.. lets just say he tends to do it as a livin..

zooker
Old 04-17-09, 04:41 PM   #6
cassidyta

No particular story sticks out for me. I can say that I never fish that I don't think about my dad. Additionally, I don't know of too many converstions that he and I held that did at least mention fishing.
Old 04-18-09, 04:10 PM   #7
keithdog

My Dad was always my best friend. Not that I was a kid without friends. I had many friends, but to me, my best friend was Dad. We fished together as long as I was old enough to hold a cane pole. In all those years, there were many many stories I could tell you about. Some funny, some inspiring, some just plain goofy. Dad got me started fishing, and I took it to another level. It felt odd when I was in my 30's and I was the one teaching Dad. One would think it odd, and would maybe expect Dad to smile and ignore me. But that wasn't the case at all. We were always a team and stayed that way despite who was teaching whom. Dad passed away 17 years ago. To this day I don't ever spend a day on the lake without thinking of him. When I catch a beautiful bass I can feel him with me, enjoying it as much as I did. Thats how he was. My favorite memory of fishing with Dad was our last time fishing together. Dads health wasn't very good in those days. Every year was a blessing to still have him around. But he did have a boat. He and mom moved to Florida after dad had severeal heart attacks and heart surgery. In his later years while he was still able, Dad and I took the boat out together for the last time. We had fished Lake Tarpon many times before, but this day would be different. The first 2 hours, the fishing was slow. In fact we hadn't even had a strike. Then we found a weedbed with the help of a friend of dads that was located about a mile off shore. It was about 50 yards wide and several hundred yards long. And for the next 4 hours, virtually every cast resulted in a bass being caught. To this day I have never experienced or seen anything like it. I don't know how many bass we caught over that four hours, but what I do know is that dad and I knew we were experiencing something special between him and I. It was as though we were being given a last special gift from above. I know it was special for Dad as well as myself. A couple years later when Dad was in the hospital, just days away from rowing to the great lake in the sky, he brought that day up. His body was week, but his eyes were bright and his voice strong when retelling that day. That is no doubt our special memory.

Last edited by keithdog; 04-18-09 at 04:17 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 06:18 PM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I remember when I used to beg my dad to take me fishing. He enjoys the nature, but he doesn't enjoy doing anything but observing, and that is fine and dandy, different strokes for different folks. But my Grandpa would take me on summer visits and I would beg him to take me when he came home. He finally broke in one day when I was about 6 or 7. I remember it started raining, and I asked him to go and he told me since I wanted to go so bad, I could wait it out. Well, I was glad we did. We started pulling them in almost before it would it hit the water. I don't remember how many we had, but we filled the stringer to the spike. It was a special day for me because he finally showed half an interest in something I loved.
I am gonna open up a little to the daddys and the daddys to be because there has been a lot going on around here. If you drink or enjoy other recreational habits, please don't do it exessively around your kids. I am not trying to down nobody or get the proverbial lash for what they do, because it is thier business and choice. But I see post like this and wish I could of had the same great moments and a lot more of them with my dad. My memories are filled with drunken and doped stupors that are hard to replace, but helped me change my life when mine came along. It only takes 1 oh sh!t to replace 1000 atta boys. We have been working on a relationship for the past 15 years since he started coming back down to earth, but it's still a struggle to overlook the past at times. Your little men tend to follow your steps, and your little women tend to marry some one with similar characteristics. And I'm not looking for sympathy or nothing, I just want you guys to think about the consequences of the actions around your kids. Sorry if I jacked the thread and got off center, just a little .02 I thought I would offer.
Old 04-18-09, 08:20 PM   #9
keithdog

Good food for thought Bubba. Something many men and women need to think about.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 09:19 PM   #10
chief7101
BassFishin.Com Member

I was never really close to my Dad while growing up, he was always either working, or teaching classes to EMT's that I can remember. Not to say that we didn't get out on the water now and again. I do remember a few times going out early with my dad on Pymatuning Lake fishing for walleye. I always seemed to be cold and rainy. I didnt really pick much up from him as far as what type of lures to use or when, but I do remember his tackle box being full of all kinds of lures. Primarily I fished with a worm and a bobber where ever we went.

As I got a little older my younger brother and I seemed to be always going down to the creek and drowning worms, all summer long.

My dad was for some reason big on making my brother and I attend Sunday School every Sunday... Well I have to say it was highly unlikely that you would actually see us in the church. He would drop us off in front of the church, we would take my youngest to his classroom and then slip out the back door and down to the creek to our stash of fishing gear. We got a few funny looks from the people passing by, standing on the bank in dress clothes, swinging a fishing pole. We would fish hard for about and hour and a half, then head back to the church to pick up my youngest brother and go home.

I am 46 now, both brothers have moved to the other end of the state. I have 2 daughters and 2 great grandsons, 3 and 5, who love fishing. I try to take them out on the water as much as possible, even if its just for an hour or so. The oldest one started with a kidde "spiderman" pole at the age of 2 1/2 catching bluegills from a local strip mine. He has his own gear...2 small tackle boxes full of all kinds of plastics, small lures, and bobbers. He is constantly trying one thing or another, most of the time just stuck on a hook, trying to catch anything or just standing on the edge of the pontoon boat or bank swimming them in the water and studying them. (Not a bad idea). You can just see it in his eyes, trying to figure out how he is supposed to make them act like a real fish. How many 5 year olds today are that in depth and have this much gear. This year for Easter my wife and I decided he was ready for a "Big Kids" pole and bought him a Zebco 202 combo. That was the trigger, later that afternoon we where on the bank trying to get the lure to actually go into the water and not in someones hair or grass behind him. After about 45 minutes it was at least hitting the water 5 feet in front of him.

It's still early in the season here in Western PA and warm, sunny days are becoming more frequent. Every day I get a phone call asking...PAPA, can we go fishing today?
chief7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 11:35 PM   #11
flbassman

Growin up my dad took me fishin as much as he could, which wasn't real often. He did the best he could, and I respect that. But when we went fishin, the man could pull fish one after another. Folks decided not too long ago that they'd be moving to brazil to be missionaries, so we've been trying to get as much family time in as possible. I think of the old man every time I'm in the woods or on the water, and I always feel bad that we never got to go more growin up. He grew up hard, and always had kind of a short temper, and would get kinda upset if the line got tangled up or I snagged it. Like I said though, he did the best he could, and taught me a hell of a lot about fishing and about being a man. I can't think of the best memory off the top of my head, but I'll never forget Easter dinner when I was about 13, and after supper at my grandmas, we were tossin leftover rollls to the bream in her backyard, and a big snapping turtle came up. With the whole family around, my dad jumps in the pond, in his Easter Sunday best ( it had a collar) and comes up with a pissed off 30 pound alligator snapper.
Old 04-19-09, 02:57 AM   #12
CCbass

Bubba mine is the opposite pain, since my dad did not fish I thought he did not care, yet now looking back realize how much he did for taking me. The night before he died I got into an arguement with him over my engine I was putting in my car, said if I did not stop being such a baby he would shove my teeth down my throat. Next morning he poked his head in my door and said he would help me with my engine when he got home. He came home sick and died that night, since then I have known many men like me that had issues with a father that cared. Only later to realize and have a great relationship, my dad died early so when I realized it I could not tell him. It has taken me years to deal with this and like writting this original post makes me very emotional at times.
Old 04-21-09, 03:07 PM   #13
Randy
BassFishin.Com Member

Just found this site today . Still learning how to get around on it . Sure do like the story's . I fish as aften as I can . With 3 daughters and a beautiful wife that all like to fish makes for alot of great memories I will take with me forever . I got big fish in 1989 tournament in Lk Kissimmee fishing with Tampa Pro Bass . My daughter was born in November , 2 weeks before the tournament . She weighed 8 lbs 6 oz. needless to say the fish I brought to the scales weighed 8 lbs 6 oz's. I have the News letter and her birth cert. to prove this fish story to all my buds.......To this day , she will hop in my Ranger boat with me anytime I ask her to go . Thanks for the storys , Randy Mumm
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 04:15 PM   #14
Captmikestarrett

My Dad and I where in a bar in St Pete FL. One of his childhood tormenters showed up and started giving my Dad a hard time.

At some point he looked at me a said "Mike please go call an ambulance."
The tormenter started apoligizing and got up and left.

Later my Dad explained that the ambulance was for him and he was sure the big guy would pound him into the ground...his quote to this day still rings in my head.

"If you can't beat them, out think them."

Capt Mike

PS he liked to fish a little now and then..
Old 04-21-09, 09:36 PM   #15
barkelypup

CC Bass your story of you dad was very touching. I talk to Pap 2 times a day. Sometimes I only get in one but I make it a point to call him and mommy. Thanks for sharing that. My dad had a heart attack in 97 while we were haning tobacco. He did survive. I have come to realize he is pretty smart feller for a retired gabage truck driver and I'm gettin more like him each and every day. He once told me "son I don't want the sun to set on my head unless I'm in my bed". I used to think that was nuts but now that I have a family, job and farm of my own I get where he was coming from. I guess what I'm trying to say is keep in touch with your parents even more than possible. Anyway on the the fishing. My Pap didn't really teach me a whole lot about fishing. As a matter of fact he hates it. However I took a liking to it at an early age and the Middle fork of the Kentucky river split our farm. Needless to say he took me down to it all the time. Once I hit about 9 years old he told me that I was old enough to go on my own now. We didn't have a boat and would wade or fish the bank. He said I alway "accidently fell in". I'm just so glad he took me. My Pap has been better to me than I ever deserve and this is just one of the reasons.

GREAT THREAD!
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 05:21 AM   #16
CCbass

Zooker.... please, if you have nothing positive to add to a thread please keep it to yourself. Your dad had no influence on you and your relative makes a living at it, why is this relavent and need of a post.
Old 04-22-09, 11:36 AM   #17
JB

geez Can'tCatchBasss,
you've just opened a big can of whoopass pal,

I know zooker and he's as close to his mom and dad as ANYONE you'll ever meet.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 12:09 PM   #18
MississippiBoy

Strike 1:

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...330#post223330

Strike 2:

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ighlight=kevin

Strike 3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
Zooker.... please, if you have nothing positive to add to a thread please keep it to yourself. Your dad had no influence on you and your relative makes a living at it, why is this relavent and need of a post.

You are the weakest link...Goodbye...
Old 04-22-09, 02:17 PM   #19
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would have to say, out of all the many memories was the time that my dad drove 12 hours to make it home in time to take me fly fishing for big bows and browns for my 14th birthday. I could tell he hadn't slept in two days, but we had a blast and caught some awesome fish.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 03:03 PM   #20
66KingFisher

Quote:
I dunno what kinda burr you got under your saddle CCbass, but I can't help but think that your statement was totally uncalled for.....

My dad or more accurately my Stepdad never had any interest in fishing and never bothered to take us boys, so I though I might tell a story about how Grandpa taught us to fish,but after reading this I think i'll pass.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 06:45 PM   #21
BassinBandit

Quote:
Ummm....ummmm. I dont understand this post...Post away Zook
Old 04-22-09, 09:49 PM   #22
barkelypup

CCBass this works pretty simple. You don't go stirring crap son. You gonna come out stinking. By the way Missisiisisisspi boy I was thinking along of the biggest looser. CCbass is OFFICIALLY on ignore. Like BassinBandit said. "Post away Zook". as if you need mine or anyone else's permission. What a terd.
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 04:56 AM   #23
CCbass

66kingfisher, if Zooker had actually told a story about how his cousin influenced his bass fishing life I would agree. No story just a reference to his ability. In this post I meant it to be taken as a memory for those that influenced us as we became what we are today. My father died and I still remember what he meant to me as far as my fishing, and did not respect it at the time ( and wish I did ) although I never had the chance to thank him for that because he died before I realized it.
Old 05-09-09, 08:15 AM   #24
1/4 stick

This one deserves a bump.
I’ve thought about this, and I can’t really think of just one favorite memory of my father. There are so many, good, funny, and down right sappy. But I have been thinking of him lately. His birthday is coming up, and he’s been on my mind a lot. Always is during this month and in November because that’s the time of year we had to make the decision to wait and hope his brain activity came back, or accept the fact that Pop had already left and let the doctors turn off all the machines and let his body go. Wasn’t much of a choice actually, we’d all had this discussion before, and none of us wanted to be held here by a machine.

I’m one of the lucky ones. No one could ask for better parents than I had. My father was always just the right amount of stern, fair, loving, and honest with us. If there was something I wanted to do, he’d be honest if he didn’t think I could, but when I decided to do it he and my mother were behind me full force with their support. Could be Pop knew the best way to get my bullheaded butt to succeed was to tell me I couldn’t.

I came along relatively late in his life. He was 45 when I was born. By the time I was ten he had already retired early because of arthritis in his hips and back, and was recovering from a heart attack. Which was nothing like it is today. He was in the hospital for what seemed like forever, and doped up on valium long after he finally came home.

After he healed we went fishing many times until I became an adult and had my hands full with things that were going on in my life. He and my older brother taught me how to handle firearms. I don’t remember a time when I didn’t know how to use a gun. I knew how to use one before I could lift it to shoot it. I do remember Going to the turkey shoot with them, I couldn’t of been more than 4 or 5. Pop would stand me in front of him and he’d squat down, put the shotgun against his shoulder and hold it while I aimed. “Let me know before you pull that trigger.” he’d say. I would and he’d whisper in my ear, “squeeze it, don’t yank it.”

He would take me hunting when I wanted. He couldn’t get out there and trek in the woods with me like he did with my older brother. But when I wanted to go he’d take me when he could. Sometimes when he really couldn’t. He’d check to make sure I hadn’t forgot how to carry and load the gun safely. Reminded me to keep the safety on till I was ready to pull the trigger, and send me into the woods to my tree stand. I’d get up in my stand and look over to see him sitting on a 5 gallon bucket behind the tree line of the field with his shotgun.

Sorry for the long read, just felt the need to share I guess.
If you’re interested here’s a short video I made with some pics of my father from WWII.

http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/o...rent=daddy.flv
Old 05-09-09, 09:16 AM   #25
MississippiBoy

Don't apologize for that being too long, QuarterStick. That's some great memories you've got there, and a good slideshow, too. What ship was he on during WWII?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.