Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-11, 11:52 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Post Looks like I might be down and out for a while..

Well Monday at football practice I took pretty nice slip on the wet grass and landed on a right wrist weird. Darn coach didn't tell us we gonna be running around outside, or I'da brought em.. far as we I knew, we were suppose to lifting weights is all. Next morning I could barley move my wrist, and it had swollen up pretty bad too, and was black and blue a few spots.

Took a trip to the Doc today for some x-rays. Firs thing he said just by poking around at it was he thinks I probably fractured it. He also said he fractured the same same area and it took him 5 months for it to heal. Well that's all of football season right there. The x-rays didn't show anything up thankfully, but Doc said they wont always pick fractures up and they become more visible after time. Got some more x-rays scheduled in 10 days. Doc says treat it tender and take it easy... no fishing either (can't cast well, or thumb a baitcaster any way). So I can't do any of the fun stuff in practice now either... just the runnin. Hopefully I'm all better before we have our first game early September, but I'll definitely miss a lot of important practice before then even if better by then. He didn't say anything about not lifting though... hope I can still do that. Ohh.. it's also kinda awkward typing, lol.

So if yall could just pray The Great Physician allows for a quick recovery.. and who knows, maybe this lil ol thing is preventing me from something really bad happenin.
Old 07-23-11, 12:41 AM   #2
keithdog

Boy, thats a tough break. I hope for your sake that it heals faster than they expect it to. Prayers sent buddy.
Old 07-23-11, 01:30 AM   #3
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Boy, thats a tough break.
Actually, it sounds like he did it pretty easily......

Too soon? My bad....

Seriously, though, I hate to hear that, Sammy. Maybe it won't be as bad as they're thinking. I hope it heals quickly....
Old 07-23-11, 01:43 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Sorry to hear about this Sammy. I hope things aren't as bad as first thought and maybe you can get back to hitting people soon.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 12:26 PM   #5
Bassboss

Thanks for your prayers and sympathies guys. And it's never to early, sippi, lmoa!
Old 07-23-11, 01:35 PM   #6
rrw4258

Wow man that has to suck.... no fishing?? I wouild probably kill myself!!!

Ryan
Old 07-23-11, 04:00 PM   #7
bamabassman

danit sam, tough start for sure man. if it makes any sense, ask if they can put a cast on it anyway. i have seen a lot of players who played with a cast on. but only if oyur parents agree now. i just hate to see oyu not get out ont he feild after oyu have done so much work. i missed over half of my senior year with a broken foot. i know how it feels not to ba able to play. i got in 3 games before i broke the foot. well i didn't break it, some defensive lineman we were palying broke it. twisted it , dislocated it. whe he got off of me it looked lie my foot was on backwards. paramedics (2 of them) grabbed it, pulled it out and twisted it back right. THAT is when i felt the pain. bout knocked them both out with my helmet, lol. but they gave me a shot of morphine afterwards. aaahahhhhh, lol. yeppers, the good old days..........

i truly hope oyu heal up fast man. keep running and doing as much as oyu can so you don't get out of shape. and keep us posted on it ok?
Old 07-23-11, 04:15 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
danit sam, tough start for sure man. if it makes any sense, ask if they can put a cast on it anyway. i have seen a lot of players who played with a cast on. but only if oyur parents agree now. i just hate to see oyu not get out ont he feild after oyu have done so much work. i missed over half of my senior year with a broken foot. i know how it feels not to ba able to play. i got in 3 games before i broke the foot. well i didn't break it, some defensive lineman we were palying broke it. twisted it , dislocated it. whe he got off of me it looked lie my foot was on backwards. paramedics (2 of them) grabbed it, pulled it out and twisted it back right. THAT is when i felt the pain. bout knocked them both out with my helmet, lol. but they gave me a shot of morphine afterwards. aaahahhhhh, lol. yeppers, the good old days..........

i truly hope oyu heal up fast man. keep running and doing as much as oyu can so you don't get out of shape. and keep us posted on it ok?
That's a really bummer john, makes for a good story though, lol. A senior at my last school was out a while cause he broke his ankle before homecoming... couldn't imagine missing half my senior year. I'll ask about the cast, and see how it goes. I got on of these wrist braces on, and it keeps it pretty immobilized... maybe it'll work. But it hurts to bend my wrist back pretty bad, might hurt driving them d-linemen back, lol.
Old 07-24-11, 06:05 PM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post

I've decided your WAYYYYY to hard on your poor feet John. hahahaha
Old 07-24-11, 08:24 PM   #10
Bassboss

Lmao, I think I'm with keith on this one.

The wrist was feeling pretty good today. Good enough to go fish! Caught decent 18" largemouth too, hook set hurt a little more then I woulda liked but I'm fine, haha. I'll see if I can get a pic of it later tonight on here too.
Old 07-25-11, 12:02 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Did you get some panties in your laundry? Put some butter on it and get out there and bust some head.
Old 07-25-11, 07:31 PM   #12
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Did you get some panties in your laundry? Put some butter on it and get out there and bust some head.
I agree. Sammy you gotta show the coach that your willing to do what it takes to play. Coaches love that. So get out there and make the other players pay because of your pain.
Old 07-26-11, 12:01 AM   #13
Bassboss

Hahahaaha! Sounds good guys.. guess now's good as ever to work on a left handed stance, lol. Got practice tomorrow.. see how it goes.
Old 07-26-11, 05:59 PM   #14
3dkicker

Did you see an Ortho or GP (regular doc)?? Can it be casted? Was it splinted? Were you cleared to play by the doc? Did you ask?
Xrays aren't always conclusive. Scaphoid fx's are tough to heal and don't always show on the first set of films. Sounds like this what you had the first time. Not an injury that you should play through if it is.
Old 07-26-11, 10:39 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Did you see an Ortho or GP (regular doc)?? Can it be casted? Was it splinted? Were you cleared to play by the doc? Did you ask?
Xrays aren't always conclusive. Scaphoid fx's are tough to heal and don't always show on the first set of films. Sounds like this what you had the first time. Not an injury that you should play through if it is.
Yeah, I saw my GP. He said don't play on it, or use it. He said just put it in a brace for now, not sure why he didn't put it in a cast though. And yeah, he did said he thought it was a Scaphoid fracture. He had the same injury playing basket ball.. took 5 months to heal.

I'm personally questioning whether or not it is a fracture. It don't hurt the much unless I bend it back to much, so I think may be a sprain??

Had practice today, couldn't do much... I tried pushing the lev sled, but that didn't work out to well! We also push these big ol tractors tires.. couldn't use my right hand for that, so I paired up with one of the smaller freshmen and used my left arm. We don't get out pads until the 3rd, so no head bashing yet, lol.

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-26-11 at 10:45 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 11:06 PM   #16
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I'm personally questioning whether or not it is a fracture. It don't hurt the much unless I bend it back to much, so I think may be a sprain??
Sprains improve with REST! Fractures stay fractured and don't improve as quickly. I've worked with a few athletes with Scaphoid Fx's and had one who saw the Ortho, got Xrays - neg. He also thought it was just a sprain and never followed up. He played through it but we protected it. Saw Ortho 9 months later and got new Xrays and showed Fx. Needed surgery and 2 months in cast.
It can take a while for it to show positive. Give it some time. REST for a couple days. Follow up. You don't want to ignore this one and "play through it". Necrosis or bone death leads to long term wrist problems....which you don't want if you want to continue fishing.
Old 07-26-11, 11:13 PM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
Sprains improve with REST! Fractures stay fractured and don't improve as quickly. I've worked with a few athletes with Scaphoid Fx's and had one who saw the Ortho, got Xrays - neg. He also thought it was just a sprain and never followed up. He played through it but we protected it. Saw Ortho 9 months later and got new Xrays and showed Fx. Needed surgery and 2 months in cast.
It can take a while for it to show positive. Give it some time. REST for a couple days. Follow up. You don't want to ignore this one and "play through it". Necrosis or bone death leads to long term wrist problems....which you don't want if you want to continue fishing.
Thanks for the warnings 3d... ya think it would be ok to fish if it don't hurt, and I wear my brace?

p.s. Are you doc, trainer, or something like that?
Old 07-26-11, 11:17 PM   #18
3dkicker

If it improves after you REST it for a couple days then see your ATC and start the rehab process and make sure it's ready to fish.

Athletic Trainer
Old 07-26-11, 11:26 PM   #19
Bassboss

Quote:
If it improves after you REST it for a couple days then see your ATC and start the rehab process and make sure it's ready to fish.

Athletic Trainer
Sounds good smitty, I guess I'll take the rest of the week off from fishing. I haven't lifted at all since the injury (gonna start doing it regularly monday), do ya think bench pressing would be ok on a Scaphoid Fx? Will it put it much strain on it, or will the pressure be spread out enough not affect it? I usually start with 135 and work my way up to 200.. should I just do less weight more reps?
Old 07-27-11, 04:58 PM   #20
3dkicker

I don't think I'm getting the idea across to you so I'll try again. Sorry if this is a little blunt. REST IT. DON'T FISH. DON'T HIT. DON'T LIFT.

Get it?

Then get cleared to begin lifting, hitting, and/or fishing by your MD (Ortho) and then the ATC (if you have one) at your school.

How's it feeling today?
Old 07-27-11, 05:18 PM   #21
bamabassman

sam.listen to smitty man. he KNOWS what he is talking about ok? jsut give it some time to HEAL man. oyu don't wanna be 50 and have a dead arm. i DIDN'T listen back when i was a high school player and now i am paying the price. LISTEN TO HIM PAL.
Old 07-27-11, 10:05 PM   #22
Bassboss

Quote:
I don't think I'm getting the idea across to you so I'll try again. Sorry if this is a little blunt. REST IT. DON'T FISH. DON'T HIT. DON'T LIFT.

Get it?

Then get cleared to begin lifting, hitting, and/or fishing by your MD (Ortho) and then the ATC (if you have one) at your school.

How's it feeling today?
Gotcha this time for sure, haha.

Not feeling to bad today, hurts a little bit more then it usually does, but kinda expected that after yesterday. Not sure if our school has an ATC, since we co-op with another school and the other school has all the "stuff".
Old 07-28-11, 10:36 AM   #23
3dkicker

I'm glad you got it. Don't think they make a 2x4 long enough for me to knock some sense into you from here!

Do as much conditioning as you can, with pads, or do more than the others. You just can't have contact until a Fx is ruled out or the sprain has healed. Be ready for two weeks to two months out. If it's shorter than it's a bonus.
Check with coaches to see if there is an atc at the other school and if there is see him or her.
Old 07-28-11, 10:46 AM   #24
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

3D is right, I was just razzing you. Wrist are delicate parts and you sure don't want to be limp wristed the rest of your life.
Old 08-06-11, 10:47 AM   #25
Bassboss

Went back for the x-rays on monday, didn't show anything thank God. They did refer me to an Orthopedic and got an appointment the 15th. Hopefully I can get this dadgum thin figured out soon. Been doing a lot better though, can bend me wrist every way but back now without pain.

p.s. Sorry if this kinda seems like a bump. Been living on the football field all week. Practicing twice a day, and sleeping in between... needless to say I'm sore. lol

Last edited by Bassboss; 08-06-11 at 11:59 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.