Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-09, 06:59 PM   #1
Bobby
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Charging 2 batteries

New here well not totaly new just do not post much and have a question. I just bought a 1970 Skeeter 85-90% restored. It has 2 batteries can I charge them by hooking up to 1 battery or do I disconnect them and charge seperatly
Old 02-13-09, 07:13 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bobby, how are the batteries currently set up? Are they for a 24V TM or is one TM and the other the cranking? I have 2 batteries 1 cranking and one TM and use a 2 bank charger. Some guys that run with 3 batteries will run a 3 bank charger.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 07:18 PM   #3
Bobby
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Bobby, how are the batteries currently set up? Are they for a 24V TM or is one TM and the other the cranking? I have 2 batteries 1 cranking and one TM and use a 2 bank charger. Some guys that run with 3 batteries will run a 3 bank charger.
They are hooked up togather looks like they run the trolling motor. They do crank the motor but they are wired togather looks like 24 volt set up Positive to positave and neg to neg jumper wires

Last edited by Bobby; 02-13-09 at 07:30 PM.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 07:38 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Bobby, that is a parallel setup for 12V. If it was TM+ to battery 1 +, battery 1 - to battery 2 + and battery 2 - to TM - it would be in series for a 24V system. To answer your question, if you have a 2 bank charger do both at once. If you have a 1 bank charger do one at a time but disconnect one of the jumpers from one of the terminals.
Old 02-13-09, 07:41 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett

That is not normal but it works. Two batterys in paralel provide more cranking amps. But has a few drawbacks like single cell failure means no amps. Also corrosion build up is much faster.

I think the main reason for dual battery setups is a bad starter. If an engine kills a single good battery on starting and crank is slow it is a sign of a bad starter. Also wires will get hot on starting.

It will also burn up an alternater as it will never fully charge.

So separate the batterys via dual throw switch and add a dual bank charger.

Capt Mike
Old 02-13-09, 07:44 PM   #6
Bobby
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok thanks was not sure And do not have charger yet. Now I know what to buy 2 birds with 1 stone. Now I have to get good at Bass fishing i'm a catfish guy But I want some bass
Old 02-13-09, 07:51 PM   #7
Bobby
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
That is not normal but it works. Two batterys in paralel provide more cranking amps. But has a few drawbacks like single cell failure means no amps. Also corrosion build up is much faster.

I think the main reason for dual battery setups is a bad starter. If an engine kills a single good battery on starting and crank is slow it is a sign of a bad starter. Also wires will get hot on starting.

It will also burn up an alternater as it will never fully charge.

So separate the batterys via dual throw switch and add a dual bank charger.

Capt Mike
I'm not 100% sure but I do not think the old engine has an alternator Its a 1970 chrysler 45 hp Did they have altenators on them back then?
Old 02-13-09, 08:02 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

Yes in 1970 I was fishing the Poor Boy Tourny series on the east coast.. My Terry had an alternator..

Capt Mike
Old 02-13-09, 08:10 PM   #9
Bobby
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
Yes in 1970 I was fishing the Poor Boy Tourny series on the east coast.. My Terry had an alternator..

Capt Mike
Ok will do what you suggested Have never seen batteries hooked up that way. Have not removed the engine cover will do it tomorow if there is an alternator I will be able to tell.Bought the boat from a person I know. It fires off first try every time and its my first boat. Thanks for the help guys
Old 02-13-09, 08:26 PM   #10
Captmikestarrett

I had racecar once that required two batteries in parallel in order to start it.. It ate starters up too. But that was not from the batteries it was from the torque and twist breaking the starter in half against the crossmember..

I ran two chains to the top of the motor and welded in a second crossmember the connect the chains to.. No more broken starters..

But the left wheel would walk at the line..

Capt Mike
Old 02-13-09, 08:47 PM   #11
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

you can have them hooked up for 24 volt for a TM and have one of them hooked up to the starter as 12 Volt you would not be able to charge both at the same time if this is the case unless you have a 24 volt charger and I personaly would not recomend it because you don't know if one is charged higher than the other
or if one is not chargeing right, MY >02
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 12:38 AM   #12
Bobby
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
you can have them hooked up for 24 volt for a TM and have one of them hooked up to the starter as 12 Volt you would not be able to charge both at the same time if this is the case unless you have a 24 volt charger and I personaly would not recomend it because you don't know if one is charged higher than the other
or if one is not chargeing right, MY >02
I seperated them 1 starts the motor now and 1 runs the trolling motor. Both are being charged over night Gonna check it out tomally at the lake Joe Pool. Still fired off just fine

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.