Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-09, 04:55 AM   #1
oregon bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default boosting performance

I have a 2005 nitro nx750w/ 2006 merc115 4 stroke. I have tried a few different props to get the most speed and hole shot. I found that a 17 pitch gives me pretty good hole shot and top speed of 53mph. But I would like to get a little more out of it. I can get 56 mph from a 19 pitch but the hole shot is terrible.I have been thinking of installing a jack plate but I'm not sure of witch one to use or if it would even help. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help?
oregon bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 06:07 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

LASER!!!! ZOOKER!!!! BOATER!!!! CALLING ALL OF YOU THAT CAN HELLP THIS FELLER OUT!!!!!!!!!! just wait a bit pal. these guys and a few others will tell you EXACTLY how to do it. welcome to the site. have fun and feed that monkey.
Old 02-26-09, 07:57 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok first things first is it an aluminum or stainless prop..
not to sound dumb or insult ya but a bad hole shot with a 19 on a 115?? you sure it is a 19 my buddy runs a 19 on a 90 horse merc..
i checked around and alot of guys running a nitro seem to like the 21 p on a 115....

a 21 ss sounds about right to me.. i find that this link to merc props to be spot on..

http://appcenter.mercurymarine...me.do

i would definatly find a turbo plus in a 21p stainless

when i changed from a tin prop to a ss prop i gained 5 mph at wot after some serious work on that prop i gained 9 mph at wot.. i like power tech props they difinatly know there stuff.

find some one you can borrow a ss prop from.. if your still getting crap-ola hole shot try a 4 blade in the same pitch. with a small moter like that 115 the differance between a 3 blade and a 4 blade on your top end likly wont be more than 1 mph..

let me state here and now I HATE A 4 STROKE MOTER..reguardless of who makes them. they definatly have a place but never on the back of a bass boat..

jackplates normally will not boost your hole shot time.. a hydrofoil is a frikkin band aid over a bullet hole..hole shot problems are mainly sovled thru prop adjustment. stainless is exspensive but in the long run are the best.. since they can be fixed and adjusted to YOUR taste.

zooker
Old 02-26-09, 11:30 PM   #4
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am under the impression zooker is not a 4 stroke fan ....me either I do not know anything about 4 stroke torque I don't think they are lowend motors or high end for that matter Mostly enviromentaly freindly.If I was to guess I would say you probably won't get both hole shot and high end numbers out of one.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 10:42 AM   #5
oregon bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default thanks

Thanks guy for your advice. I'm thinking it is what it is, but I haven't given up. There is a boat dealer close to me that is participating in Merc's demo prop program and I am going to try some different props to see if that helps.
oregon bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 02:33 PM   #6
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The motor is what it is. Forget about trying to get more out of it. What you posted is a PRIME example of a boat that could use 2 things.........one a jack plate and 2 a prop that is tailored for your rig. You stated speeds with the 17 and speeds with the 19. he topend with the 19p is just about right but the holeshot suffers. What you need is a prop that has been balanced and blueprinted for your hull and running on a motor that is sitting on a 5 1/2"CMC or equivelant manual jackplate. The 19p will probably be your ticket.....as far as which one I am thinking either a Laser II or a Tempest tailored for your rig. Then after playing with jackplate heights and finding that sweet spot.........where you have a decent holeshot and decent topend............collect all the numbers and send your prop to a GOOD prop guy. I personally deal with 2 now. Both are artists when it comes to props. Bottem line is your looking at speeds of maybe high50's to low 60's. Cost.........used plates are around 100-150...........used props are again around 150-250.............balancing and blueprinting 150-200. Rewards are better holeshot,better topend,better fuel economy,longer engine life.
Old 03-01-09, 02:37 PM   #7
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
I am under the impression zooker is not a 4 stroke fan ....me either I do not know anything about 4 stroke torque I don't think they are lowend motors or high end for that matter Mostly enviromentaly freindly.If I was to guess I would say you probably won't get both hole shot and high end numbers out of one.
You know bud I would LOVE to have the funds and equipment to play with say a hammer 4 stroke in the 150-200 range. Change up the valve opening and closing rate,open up the induction system and make it more flowable and of course open the exhaust..............WOW....lol sounds like I am working on the 4.3 in my sons truck. Get the picture.
The way I see it the only reason no one is playing with the 4 strokes is one the cost to make em wake up and there are still to many 2 strokes out there that will make more hp quicker and cheaper. BUT in the future we better figure these motors out dont ya think.
Old 03-01-09, 02:41 PM   #8
aikenyounggun

listen to those guys but you could get your prop worked on
Old 03-01-09, 08:35 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

Try a different prop or two but a 4 stroke Merc is a gas sipper. As stated it is what it is.

Capt Mike
Old 03-02-09, 08:44 PM   #10
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

them sucka's weigh about 50% more too don't they? I am with ya I would like to trick some motas out it would help to be a machinist like some guys on the other boad
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 08:56 PM   #11
Chargepro
BassFishin.Com Member

4 strokes are great engines for what it was designed for. But holeshots and topend speeds are just not two of them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.