Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-09, 11:06 PM   #1
Caligula
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trolling Motor Wiring Question

I just purchased a new 70 lb. / 24V MotorGuide for a Nitro. The old MotorGuide used a plug. The back of the plug had 4 posts - each goes straight back to the batteries. The new MotorGuide is set to be hardwired; however, I'd rather use the plug set up. The issue is that the hardwire set up only had a positive and negative and not a ground, as the old plug had. Is there a way to install a plug on the new MotorGuide while ensuring a ground? I've attached photos of my set up and the old plug that I took apart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TM1.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	3260

Name:	TM2.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	3261

Name:	TM3.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	3262

Name:	TM4.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	3263
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 11:41 PM   #2
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

CALIGULA,
You should have gotten a wiring diagram with your TM, it should tell you how to wire your new TM! If not, it is a simple hook-up. Since it is a 24V unit, you will not need the 4wires running to the plug, only 2. Go back to your batteries and hook the red wire to the Pos (+) post of batt#1, now hook the black wire to the Neg (-) post of batt #2, then hook a short jumper wire from the Pos (+) post of batt #2 to the Neg (-) post of batt
#1. You now have 24 volts running to the front of the boat in 2 wires. Hook your TM wires to the plug posts that coincide with the + & - wires in the socket. You may need a test light to find the right polarity in the socket wires.

JackL
Old 03-06-09, 08:01 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You should consider installing a 50A breaker between your batteries and the connection up front, with a minimum of #8 cu wire (#6 wire would be better) for a straight 24v T/M.
You can install the breaker in the battery compartment where it is easily accessible.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.