Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-09, 12:04 AM   #1
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham
Exclamation Help me!!!

Ive got a 1990 19 foot Ranger with a Yamaha 175 Pro V and the back end sunk and got water in the gas tank, fuel lines and carbourator. Ive already drained the gas tanks as much as i could and i need to know what to clean it out with? ive also cleaned the fuel lines out and have grit in my carbourator but im going to flush it out with gas. any suggestions on how to help me get it runnin? ideas would be greatly appreciated
bingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 12:13 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

seafoam is the best thing i can tell ya buddy. but you better ask someone else before ya run it through. i am sure you need to get as much grit out as possible first. then refill the tank and run a couple cans of seafoam in it.
Old 03-03-09, 12:14 AM   #3
bingham

what is seafoam? never heard of it
Old 03-03-09, 12:15 AM   #4
bamabassman

you can find it at wally world, it in a can. takes out all the water in the gas lines. it is called seafoam.
Old 03-03-09, 12:18 AM   #5
bingham

okaythen preciate it bama... ill try it out tomorrow and let ya know how it goes>>>
Old 03-03-09, 12:19 AM   #6
bamabassman

make SURE you have as much cleaned out before you do this now, ok? i ain't o motor man. ask zooker, laser, boater, joel too now. i would hate for you to tear it up before you checked everything out, ok?
Old 03-03-09, 12:41 AM   #7
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Another thing to think about is if you have water in your cylinders. One way to check is to take out your plugs and if you have water in there. It happend to our old boat once (back fired and sucked in water). You have to turn the motor over w/plugs out and then let it air dry or blow a lot of air in there.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 09:52 AM   #8
mont_lunker_hunter

I'm not mechanic either, but it may be possible to pull the drain screws from the bottom of the carbs, then pump your bulb to flush gas/seafoam mixture through the carbs.
Old 03-03-09, 10:47 AM   #9
zooker

the 175 pro v is a wicked moter. but if you have the multi carb set up.. do your self a favor take it to a pro yammer wrench. they will have to rebuild the carbs -which is the easy part but not cheap $300- then they have to sync the carbs which is a pain in the azz and will take FOREVER and a day for a back yard wrench turner to do..the pro wrenchs have a tool/gauge set up that test the sync of each carb..

use a hair dryer to dry the cyclinders out.. you may have to pull the head to make sure there is no sludge-mud- in the cyclinder.. seafoam is the snizzle for the yammer and you should always use it in a yamaha moter.. just to keep everthing nice and clean.. i buy it at advance auto around $8 a can. i buy it in gallon cans my self..

by the way the term "sunk a ranger boat" is like saying "non fat butter milk" it just don't happen..

zooker
Old 03-03-09, 04:26 PM   #10
bingham

hey i appreciate all the help guys... i have pulled the plugs already and there is water in them and i know how to blow it all out, and i have also already pulled the drain screws and thats where the grit is. i dont know what that means but i know how to get it out by running gas and seafoam throughso thanks for that too...

zooker, am i going to HAVE to take it to a mechanic? are you saying the carb HAS to be rebuilt no matter what or is it just a maybe? and also what cylinders do i dry out and how do i pull the head and is it very hard? i can do it but id like to know what im getting into...

and for everyone... MY BOAT DID NOT SINK (Thanks zook for correcting me)
My RANGER was tied up to the dock and the bilge wasnt working when the hurricane came... motor sunk the backend under but once untied, the boat came back up motor water and all... rangers dont sink, its like sayin "nonfat buttermilk'' it just dont happen lmao

Last edited by bingham; 03-03-09 at 04:27 PM. Reason: ok
Old 03-03-09, 05:25 PM   #11
zooker

the head is easy about 20 bolts and a new head gasket. basiclly all the bolts you see on the head where the spark plugs go in are head bolts. -you'll need to torq them to a psi-i don't have a yammer manual in front of me so i can't say what the torq specs are.

a picec of grit in a carb is a time bomb. definatly get the pro wrench to rebuild -it'll be worth it in the long run-and re sync the carbs.. if ya have grit in the bowl you got grit everywhere..

zooker
Old 03-03-09, 06:00 PM   #12
bamabassman

see bingham, told you there was some folks smarter than i,hahaha. i never would have thought to tell you what has been posted so far. better to things right....ONCE. than to have to do it over and over, till you would have been better off buying new after all the muhla you put in using bandaids. better make sure it is right before ya hit the water pal.
Old 03-03-09, 06:03 PM   #13
bingham

ya thanks for all the help guys ill let ya know how its goin with the boat in a few days
Old 03-06-09, 09:01 AM   #14
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Water and or dirt in a fuel system ESPECIALLY on the big carb motors is just exactly like stated.............A TIME BOMB.......Either one hits the cylinders while you are turning say 5500 rpms on the way to your honey hole and WHAM...........there ya are srcatching your watch and winding your azz. No way should you chance this. MAKE SURE its clean before you fire her up. Was the motor under water or just the back of the boat. A little fuzzy on that one. The grit in the fuel bowls could have been there already. No way for dirt to get in the bowls unless the engine was running.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.