Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-06, 10:28 PM   #1
SFLbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Mercury 150 2-stroke problem

I have just recently bought a boat with a 1996 150 2-stroke on it and i bought it from a older man who had cancer so it hadn't been run in awhile.

The oil alarm will not turn off even when the oil tanks are full. its done it once before and I took the float out of the oil resevoir on the motor and moved it up and down and put it back, then I made sure the caps were tight and not leaking on the oil tank that is on the boat, started it up and the low oil alarm turned off, so the next day im driving the boat stop to fish and begin heading for the trailer when the alarm goes off so I shut the motor off and repaet the process I did the time before, start it up and the alarm is still on. I troll back to the trailer and take the boat out of the water, start it up and the alarm is still on, so I figured the problem was with the float on the outboards oil resivor, so I disconnected it but the alarm still stays on, so that tells me its not the float, so I read the manual and it says the oil alarm and water in the fuel filter alarm are the same but when its water in the feul filter a red light on the front of the outboard will be on, but its not. so I disconnected the fuel filters water sensor but the alarm stays on, so thats not the problem either.

It has me baffled. I am familiar with 2-stroke dirtbikes and I know older bikes had oil injection and the pumps would go bad all the time and you would have to premix your fuel

oh and when I turn the ignition on the oil injection pump makes a buzzing noise.

I've also heard that the pickup tube for the oil could have sludge in it.

I dont want to run the boat unless I know its getting oil cause i dont want it to seize up on me.

I also heard this problem is pretty common. If its the oil injection pump, any idea on what a new one would cost, cause if it expensive im gonna start premixing.

If anyone is familiar with this engine any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
SFLbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 10:03 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

where is laser when ya need him..

i would check the injection feed tubes they can get blocked. it may be a injector messed up. question when you crank it up does it smoke?? if it aint smoking it aint getting oil..

zooker
Old 07-16-06, 02:43 PM   #3
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i believe mercs did have a problem with oil injection at one time.not sure if it would pertain to your motor..however,if it were me i'd take it to a pro..or...disconnect the system and mix the oil in the tank..seems like your only 2 options.
unless laser comes up with something.
Old 07-20-06, 10:34 AM   #4
Tohatsurep
BassFishin.Com Member

I used to be a Mercury outboard mechanic. You need to start by checking your oil float sensor. Dissconnect the two wires from it and check it for continutiy. If it has continuity when the float is in the up possition then the float is bad and you have to buy the whole cap to replace it. If not check to see if it has continuity in the down possition it should have it here, this means that the low oil warning system is working correct. If that does not work take your water seperating fuel filter off and pour the fuel in a glass container that you can look at the fuel to see if you have water in it. You can replace the filter you do not have to buy a new one. If it has water in it, it will set off the alarm and my not turn the red light on. Try that if that does not work let me know.
Tohatsurep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 12:50 PM   #5
SFLbass
BassFishin.Com Member

I have already took care of the problem, i removed the oil injection system and blocked it off to prevent any futher hassle, so i pre-mix now.

Thanks.
SFLbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-06, 06:22 AM   #6
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That is the best thing to do since the earlier mercs had the plastic oil drive gear. And we all know what happens at high rpms and no oil.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.