Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-10, 11:55 PM   #1
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Spinnerbait Trailers

Does anybody use one? I'm thinking about finding something along the line of a twin tail grub or something similar to use as a trailer on a spinnerbait and the occasional Silver Minnow spoon. I've never tried one so don't be bashful about telling me what you think about them.
Old 10-27-10, 12:14 AM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't fish spinnerbaits without a trailer, it's a confidence thing for me. I usually use standard split tail trailers.

I do have a some spinnerbaits that have a few longer stands on the skirt (like this) that act as the trailer. I don't normally add anything to them.

I use trailer hooks most of the time too.
Old 10-27-10, 12:50 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I fish the split tail trailers like Jrob showed when I am fishing a spinnerbait slow or when I am flipping and pitching it. If I am just chunking and winding or burning a spinnerbait I usually don't use a trailer because I figure the fish isn't getting too good of a look at it anyways, but if I notice a lot of missed bites I will add one. For me it's one of those some days they like it and some days they don't type of deals.

I too use a trailer hook all the time. The only time I won't use a trailer hook is if I am fun fishing around a bunch of brush because I don't want to get hung up all the time. In a tournament though I will trade a few hangups for a few more hookups so I always use a trailer hook when money is on the line.
Old 10-27-10, 05:33 AM   #4
bassboogieman

I always use a plastic trailer and rarely a trailer hook. Several plastic baits do the job the most popular is the "standard" split tail and I also use a grub, twin tail grub, fluke or the back half of a worm.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 06:58 AM   #5
keithdog

I've always used a trailor with my spinnerbaits. While I to will use a split tail trailer, most of the time I'll use a 4-5 inch single twist tail grub. And here is something I'll share with you. Most of the time the common advice is to keep the trailer the same color as the skirt. However, over the years of using spinnerbaits, I often find my number of strikes goes up dramaticly when I choose a trailer that is a different color from the skirt. Most of the time, I'm using a white skirt, and I'll add a yellow or chartruese trailor. I think the contrast helps the trailer to stand out and fish zero in on it. Lately, I've been using the new Strike King Perfect Skirts with the Magic Tails. With these skirts a trailer is not needed. They have been fantastic skirts for me since I started using them, especially in the bluegill color with a gold bladed spinnerbait!!!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 08:47 AM   #6
walkeraviator

I have never used anything but a 4" curl tail grub as a trailer. And just like Keith, I thought that matching teh trailer to the skirt was teh only way to go for years. Then I started using Red, Yellow, Green, and even Blue trailers on my white spinner baits to great success... In clear water, I will even use natural brown/green jig skirts with natural color trailers... that blue gill color skirt looks killer, gonna give that a try in teh near future.

In recent months I have tried using slightly larger bulkier trailers. I like the Bass Assassin Salt Water Assassin paddle tail swim bait as a trailer. They have a whole world of colors to try. Also have tried the smallest Yum Money Minnow, but no luck catchin a fish that way yet.

Which brings up the question. Have any of you fished a spinner on a jig head/swim bait with no skirt at all? This is very popular with Redfish, but dont know how well it will work on Bass.

As you can tell, I like trailers that ad action to th ebait as well as bulk. The twin tails add mass to the bait, but not so much action. Is there such a thing as "finesse" spinnerbait fishing?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 05:15 PM   #7
bamabassman

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Just a preference thing in my opinion.
Old 10-27-10, 05:54 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

I forget where I saw it,but I wanted to try it sometime.
It was a spinnerbait with a little spoon trailer..I thought it looked interesting.
Other than I use 3'' curly grubs,swimbaits,etc
Old 10-27-10, 08:20 PM   #9
woody

3" Big Hammer swimbaits.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-10, 08:59 AM   #10
keithdog

I have to tell you this story about what my brother did back when we were kids. He was fishing for bass with an old Fleck Spinnerbait. You old timers will remember those. Anyways, he goes and throws on a 9 inch Manns Jellyworm for a trailor. I looked at him like he was out of his mind and told him so. I really got a good laugh out of that, untill he started landing bass after bass. Probably around 40 or so bass hit that monstrocity. So I guess you never know what might be the ticket for the day when it comes to trailors. haha
Old 10-31-10, 10:58 AM   #11
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Never seen a reason for one yet.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 12:55 AM   #12
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm like you guys on the color matching. I can count the number of times I have used any type of trailer on one hand, but I've always matched the color with the skirt. I'm going to try the mismatched concept. Thanks for the idea Keith.
Old 11-01-10, 01:00 PM   #13
juggernoob
BassFishin.Com Member

Do you guys use trailer hooks along with trailers? Or just one or the other?
juggernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 06:51 PM   #14
keithdog

I prefer not to use trailer hooks, but I know there are a lot of guys who will argue that with me. I just don't seem to have any trouble hooking up without one, so why add one? It only adds an additional hook to remove from the fish which if your practicing catch and release, a single hook should be less damaging to the fish compared to two. Plus I always felt having a trailer hook would cause the bait to be more prone to snagging weeds. But I have to admit, when I did use a trailer hook, weed snagging didnt seem to be much of an issue.
Old 11-03-10, 05:17 PM   #15
Bob Smith

I'm with Kieth on the no trailer hook. I like the regular 4" curl tail grub (white, Mr. Twister) day in and day out for a trailer. At night I like using the 5" Yamatmoto twin tail grub in Cinnamon Black Flake on my black and spinner single colorado blade spinnerbaits and the black/red 1/2 oz Buzzbaits. I have used black, black and red, black and blue, black and chartreuse, but for some reason that cinnamon color is great at night. I sometimes use #11 Uncle Josh pork frogs on my spinnerbaits. I used to wait until the water temps cooled, but found out that I was missing the boat with the pork by not using it year round.
Old 11-21-10, 05:42 PM   #16
philipj
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

We anchored at the mouth of a local river. Casting Erie Dearies with a 4 inch white Mister Twister trailer really paid off. Lady friend spent a lot of time sqaueeling about the fish that she was fighting.
philipj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-10, 11:59 AM   #17
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernoob View Post
Do you guys use trailer hooks along with trailers? Or just one or the other?
Almost always use a trailer hook with spinners and buzzbaits . when i have a trailer on I will thread the trailer hook into what ever i am using so it runs true with the bait

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.