Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-10, 07:55 PM   #26
Stew
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I'm proud of you, Stew. I had faith that somehow this would be George W. Bush's fault, and you didn't disappoint. Death, taxes, and the hysterical left.
As The Times-Picayune summarized a few days ago,
It was George W. Bush who pushed to rewrite the rule books for energy development on public property, rolling back protections for fish, wildlife, air and water under the banner of streamlining the nation's race for energy. That movement sought to turn 40 years of bipartisan environmental protection on its head, and it did. Industry lobbyists and officials were appointed to key environmental positions with orders to make the environment safe for business -- especially the energy business. Agencies became boosters for development, not protectors of the public trust.
And here's some material on just how deregulated it was: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6518694.shtml

Facts are stubborn things. They're not left or right, liberal or conservative, just facts.

Last edited by Stew; 05-29-10 at 08:04 PM.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 07:59 PM   #27
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm sensing some seriously good chatroom chat if both parties would like to debate it out. lol.
Old 05-29-10, 07:59 PM   #28
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Look, I don't want to get personal here, and as it is still, for the time being, America...everyone has the right to an opinion.

But what I'm not going to do is argue complicated matters such as physical chemistry, energy production, and global economics with a teenager who has yet to have so much as a job delivering newspapers.

Sammy, you're a good kid, enthusiastic, and fun to talk bass fishing with. But a man of the world, you are not.
And I will say a little in this thread, I am not trying to pick on you Sammy. All that Nofear just said is true. You're a good guy. I just think you need to spend a little more time considering alternative viewpoints. You arent ready yet to know everything, and we all have been teenagers. I remember a time when I thought George W Bush would be a good president. Man, how could I have ever been so naive, inexperienced, unwise. It took getting away from home and getting my *** handed to me in a few discussions to come up with a more comfortable, nuanced world view which I can defend better. And I still learn more every day, and there are many angles that I never get challenged on in politics here. We all need to be challenged from time to time.

Last edited by WTL; 05-29-10 at 08:09 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 08:10 PM   #29
nofearengineer

Stew...you're falling squarely in the "need someone to blame" crowd. The funny thing is, even if you were right, it wouldn't solve one bit of the current problem...that of 5,000 barrels a day of oil floating out into the Gulf.

I'll refer you to a former post concerning the adage, "SHT HAPPENS!"

I know it's incomprehensible to you that something bad might happen and there be nobody to blame it on, but it really does occur.
Old 05-29-10, 08:30 PM   #30
TN_Bassin

No matter what happens, I believe......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIWb8HJ5gLo

Still though.. I would love to see this continued in the chat room... I'll bring the popcorn for the spectators.
Old 05-29-10, 10:46 PM   #31
1/4 stick

I just want to know, and I admit to lacking knowledge of the current technology, but.... where nuclear energy is conserned, what are we gonna do with the radio-active waste? And how are we gonna handle the clean up when one of the plants has a melt down? My honest opinion is it's no better of an answer than what we already have.
Old 05-30-10, 12:02 AM   #32
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

You mean to tell me they can clone a sheep and a cow, but they don't have an alternative energy source? It is there under lock and key somewhere being guarded by men with bigger guns than you care to deal with. BP, Shell, and Exxon probably know what they are. There is just too much money in the oil industry to put it in the market. Just my opinion though, not bucking the system hehehehe.
Old 05-30-10, 12:17 AM   #33
Stew

Quote:
Stew...you're falling squarely in the "need someone to blame" crowd. The funny thing is, even if you were right, it wouldn't solve one bit of the current problem...that of 5,000 barrels a day of oil floating out into the Gulf.

I'll refer you to a former post concerning the adage, "SHT HAPPENS!"

I know it's incomprehensible to you that something bad might happen and there be nobody to blame it on, but it really does occur.
Sh*T does not just happen. We live in a cause and effect universe, not one of random happenstance.

I'm not playing a blame game, but simply laying out some history of how we got where we are. I said the point was to learn. The blame game is seriously counterproductive to that.

Deregulation of oil was stupid. Like with highways, we need some rational rules of the road for the common good, and some cops keeping eye out. Simple as that.

Also, Sammy will vote soon (and thank God there is no spelling test as prerequisite to that ). If he thinks he's man enough to venture out into the middle of the street and voice views, don't brush him off, but neither spare him any heat. We all learn throughout life by voicing forming views, and having alternative ways of looking at things pointed out to us, and then repeating the process at various intervals.

Last edited by Stew; 05-30-10 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-30-10, 12:32 AM   #34
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
You mean to tell me they can clone a sheep and a cow, but they don't have an alternative energy source? It is there under lock and key somewhere being guarded by men with bigger guns than you care to deal with. BP, Shell, and Exxon probably know what they are. There is just too much money in the oil industry to put it in the market. Just my opinion though, not bucking the system hehehehe.
You have to wonder how many inventions were bought and killed because there was inadequate profit to be made by profiteers of a current system. This goes not just for energy but fields like medicine.
Old 05-30-10, 12:36 AM   #35
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
I just want to know, and I admit to lacking knowledge of the current technology, but.... where nuclear energy is conserned, what are we gonna do with the radio-active waste? And how are we gonna handle the clean up when one of the plants has a melt down? My honest opinion is it's no better of an answer than what we already have.
Right. People who are all gung-ho for nuclear energy suddenly become quiet when you ask them to also commit to store the waste in or near their home town. They get the "NIMBYS", the Not In My Backyard Syndrome.
Old 05-30-10, 10:03 AM   #36
nofearengineer

And they also catch NIMBY syndrome when it comes to solar and wind.

Ted Kennedy, the so-called "lion of the senate" roared the loudest when they wanted to put a wind farm off the coast of his family's "compound" in Massachusetts. It took his death to make it possible.

Land-based wind farms get protested because the greenies actually believe millions of birds die by flying into the guy wires bracing the towers.

Barbara Boxer and Nancy Pelosi raised a big stink when a solar power installation was planned in the Mojave Desert, one of the sunniest places on Earth, because the tortoises living there might not like the shade.

These people actually think they can have it both ways.

It seems those who really hate the internal combustion engine offer only criticism of it, but resist any good solution.

They also love conspiracy theories of the oil companies quashing new technology; i.e, the famous "100 mpg carburetor". This boogeyman is offered up to a mystified populace, who in their desire to just see something done, will believe almost anything.

Why is it these conspiracy nuts will believe the oil companies are all about their bottom line (and they are...all successful businesses should be), yet refuse to accept that these new technologies, if real, would make the oil companies more money than they do on oil?

If they don't, they will just be more expensive to you, the customer...and then the complaining would start anew. I hear it every single time the price of gas climbs another ten cents per gallon.

Oil...can't get it cheap enough...can't deregulate it. Take your pick, geniuses. Either that, or you better get used to global poverty, pandemics, and famines. Every one of us ought to be thankful for the oil companies. Otherwise, we'd still be living life "Little House on the Prairie" style.
Old 05-30-10, 01:59 PM   #37
Stew

Yes, the NIMBYs have been known to infect many people on many things. It afflicts both the tall and small. Unlike other infections, it's mostly likely to infect in a small crowd, where inadequate numbers of stakeholders are hammering things out.

So help me out here.

I've driven through Iowa, and actually made it all the way through alive.

I did not die from boredom of scenery.

Corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn.

I fail to see how replacing some of those corn farms with wind farms can be a bad thing.

And we don't need to make eye sores, like off the Mass sound. I fail to see how it is that most states can all find suitable places.

Here in Florida, we don't want them icking up the sights at our tourist beaches, but in Belle Glade, the entire enormous town used to be devoted to sugar cane. Now the state owns all that land. Parts would be p-e-e-e-e-e-rfect for wind farms, and the people would like the jobs.

If the feds seeded a little block grant money to states to develop areas for wind farms, you'd see them hammer it all out and find places, I think. The NIMBYs would not infect.
Old 05-30-10, 02:22 PM   #38
WTL

Yea, lets drop corn subsidies for wind subsidies, and then 70 years from now, after we have found our miracle solution to energy in cold fusion or hamsters rigged to generators or something else, we have something else to complain about with the wind lobby.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-10, 02:30 PM   #39
1/4 stick

Oh yes. Let us put more farmers out on the streets. We do love to take land from farmers and indians don't we? Guess we could lease the land from the farmers, but given what the government pays people for such deals it's the same as putting them in the streets. And then food prices skyrocket caused by less corn being available. Sounds like a plan to me.
Old 05-30-10, 03:00 PM   #40
TN_Bassin

Stew there is a reason you see all that corn... you and everyone else in America uses corn on a daily basis... At the risk of creating a huge circle I am going to leave it at that.
Old 05-30-10, 03:48 PM   #41
1/4 stick

What do we need all that corn for anyway?

Products that use Corn

Adhesives (glues, pastes, mucilages, gums, etc.)
Aluminum
Antibiotics (penicillin)
Asbestos insulation
Aspirin
Automobiles (everything on wheels)
xxx- cylinder heads
xxx- ethanol - fuel & windshield washer fluid
xxx- spark plugs
xxx- synthetic rubber finishes
xxx- tires
Baby food
Batteries, dry cell
Beer
Breakfast cereals
Candies
Canned vegetables
Carbonated beverages
Cheese spreads
Chewing gum
Chocolate products
Coatings on wood, paper & metal
Colour carrier in paper & textile, printing
Corn chips
Corn meal
Cosmetics
C.M.A. (calcium magnesium acetate)
Crayon and chalk
Degradable plastics
Dessert powders
Dextrose (intravenous solutions, icing sugar)
Disposable diapers
Dyes
Edible oil
Ethyl and butyl alcohol
Explosives - firecrackers
Finished leather
Flour & grits Frozen foods
Fructose
Fuel ethanol
Gypsum wallboard
Ink for stamping prices in stores
Insecticides
Instant coffee & tea
Insulation, fibreglass
James, jellies and preserves
Ketchup
Latex paint
Leather tanning
Licorice
Livestock feed
Malted products
Margarine
Mayonnaise
Mustard, prepared
Paper board, (corrugating, laminating, cardboard)
Paper manufacturing
Paper plates & Cups
Peanut butter
Pharmaceuticals - The Life Line of The Hospital
Potato chips
Rugs, carpets
Salad dressings
Shaving cream & lotions
Shoe polish
Soaps and cleaners
Soft drinks
Starch & glucose (over 40 types)
Syrup
Tacos, tortillas
Textiles
Toothpaste
Wallpaper
Wheat bread
Whiskey
Yogurts

Question: Of 10,000 items in a typical grocery store, how many would you guess would contain corn in one form or another?

Answer: At least 2,500 items use corn in some form during the production or processing.

http://www.ontariocorn.org/classroom/products.html
Old 05-30-10, 07:42 PM   #42
bamabassman

Bwaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-10, 07:55 PM   #43
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Bwaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
LMAO! hehehehe...
Old 05-30-10, 08:24 PM   #44
nofearengineer

I like corn. That is all.
Old 05-30-10, 08:52 PM   #45
Jrob78

Corn tastes just like it smells.....DELICIOUS!!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-10, 09:41 PM   #46
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Corn tastes just like it smells.....DELICIOUS!!

With enough butter to stop your heart so fast that the sudden stop restarts it.
Old 05-30-10, 09:55 PM   #47
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
With enough butter to stop your heart so fast that the sudden stop restarts it.
That's right!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-10, 11:28 PM   #48
bamabassman

look gang, i am laughing at this entire thread. NOT cause i think the situation is at ALL funny. just that here we are....trying to discuss a major problem, when there is NOTHING that we can do about it. it is OUT of our hands gang. no sense finger pointing at ANYONE any more. the only thing we can and should do is remember this and use our 1 vote at the poles. WE have to somehow get some folks in D.C. who is truly for the PEOPLE. i ain't gonna say who is to blame anymore on this. it is a sad ,SAD thing. but there is NO sense in us fighting each other over it. RIGHT? so let's just try to use our power of the elections, WHOMEVER you are for, and elect some people with love for our country and the people IN it. that is all...........carry on.
Old 05-31-10, 08:57 PM   #49
bcklash

Default plugging the leak

This will work I am positive.

Old 05-31-10, 09:17 PM   #50
nofearengineer

Okay...that settles it.

Bcklash for President in 2012!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.