Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-06, 10:22 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default An inauspicious beginning to a decent day

Met up with Flyrod this morning to hit the lake. We got there around 6:15 to strong winds and whitecaps. This is an electrics only lake only about 100 acres, so that ought to give you an idea of the wind. We finished our coffee and got the boat ready to launch. Flyrod went back to get the rest of the gear and I stowed the tie downs and transom saver. I moved the rods that were on deck out of the way and closed the lid to the storage compartment and heard one of the noises bass fisherman fear the most: SNAP! It was then I realized I missed one rod, and Flyrod's Team AllStar flipping stick was now 8 inches shorter. He was wondering why I was banging my head against the boat as he came back with the rest of his gear. Fortunately, Flyrod is not one to freak out over something like that, although he isn't going to let me forget it . So now I get to buy him a new rod, which I don't mind doing at all-especially since I broke his old one. Anyway, we launched and worked up the dam and across the south end of the lake. Flyrod said he had a surprise for me a few days back, and what it was is a new Team Daiwa reel(See my post on Buzzbait reels). Tuned it up, tied on a buzzbait, and threw INTO the wind and did not backlash once-WOO HOO! Thanks again, buddy-I REALLY appreciate it. Didn't get one on the buzzbait, or anything else until we got back in the main feeder creek. We started picking up a fish here and there, no size to speak of except for several keepers. I think we ended with 15, and all but one came on a wacky rigged 4 inch green pumpkin/chartreuse Tiki Stick.

The wind was bad enough to pull out the drift sock to slow our drift down, but we had a good time. We both missed several fish but had a good time-Flyrod keeps me laughing the whole time we are on the water.

Trailering the boat was a real adventure-ever try to trailer a bass boat without using the big engine? In a 20+ MPH wind? Beats going to the dentist but it is a challenge. Think of the Three Stooges trailering a bass boat-or in our case, the Two Stooges. Anyway, after 3 or 4 passes with the boat blowing perpendicular to the trailer it occurred to us to lower the big engine-we raised it to reduce drag going back to the ramp. That got it positioned well enough for me to crank it on the trailer. Even with the wind, the busted rod, and assorted misadventures on the water we had a great time!
Old 04-15-06, 10:42 PM   #2
JB

reb,
i know what ya mean about the electric only type lakes, on windy days about all you can do is get close enough to wench it on the trailer, glad ya got to fish today!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 02:24 AM   #3
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

And he "Anit" gonna be allowed to replace the broken rod! Everyone's allowed an honest error now and then.
We indeed had a decent (even a "good") day on Beautiful Boerne (Ber-nee) Lake and I look forward to fishing with RB on the 28th!
BTW, that's the second time we've caught phish WITH 'nanners in the boat. I did notice, however, that he caught more bass AFTER he ate his.

F.Rod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 06:31 AM   #4
pig n jig

See if All star might replace it. Its worth a shot.It sounds like you guys had a great trip . P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 06:32 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Ah electric only lakes ....what memories. Picture this. An old bomber style bass boat enough batteries to start a battery store....25+ mph winds and here he comes across the lake saying "MAN these 12 volt trollers fly when hooked up to 48 volts" all the while leaving a trail of smole from electric troller and batteries. Needless to say that was last trip for said troller. This was a scene at a lake in NJ a few years back at our local club tourney.
Old 04-16-06, 07:43 AM   #6
FlyRod

Default Are you serious???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
See if All star might replace it. Its worth a shot.It sounds like you guys had a great trip . P N J
That would be dishonest...now wouldn't it? Not gonna do that. I'll replace the rod, maybe even upgrade although I was perfectly happy with...sniff...the deceased one.
I believe that warranties will soon be a thing of the past if people abuse them and that's exactly what I would be doing if I "filed a claim" on this rod. It was an unintended human error that can be blamed on the darkness in which we were fumbling about...not in any way on a defect in the stick or, for that matter, a defect in my partner.
I'm totally at peace with the matter and will ever be so.

FlyRod
Old 04-16-06, 08:10 AM   #7
crankybait

hey, it was way to windy for anyone to land a fish here. i told my dad we should go to the pond, since it is protected, smaller, probably less choppy and warmer, but my dad wanted to show my new aunt some scenery
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 10:21 AM   #8
zooker

fly rod
lucky you 1 of these days i am just going to load my stuff and show up in san ann.. i knew reb messed up when he started using big words.. there is nothing dishonest about getting a replacment rod -tell them it broke setting the hook into a stump-that should get it replaced that and engineers scratching there heads...

zooker
Old 04-16-06, 12:13 PM   #9
JB

Denny broke one of his rods throwing a buzzbait at casesars creek lake friday, it happens...
Old 04-16-06, 12:34 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Quote:
i knew reb messed up when he started using big words
I figured using one of them $10 words would get your attention . We did have a lot of fun even with the wind-looking forward to the next time!
Old 04-16-06, 02:02 PM   #11
pig n jig

Fly rod, I wasn't asking you to be dishonest.I know that Fenwick rod company gives you at least a 55% discount towards the purchase of another Fenwick rod, even if it was your fault the rod got broken.I told them it was my fault that 4 " of the tip got broken off the rod,because the braided line looped around the rod tip and I wasn't aware of it at the time I set the hook on a fish.I was asking about the 55% discount I read on their warranty card. She asked me if I had a receit, which I did. They exchanged it for a new one, no charge. Did I lie to her to get a new one ? No I did not. Did I take the new rod ? Yes I did and you know what ? They sent me a HMG Carbon veil rod instead of the HMX series I broke. Getting back to your response. You can clearly tell All Star what happened, therefore it wouldn't be dishonest and if they will give you a new rod, Its up to you to accept it, or maybe they would give you a discount on the next All Star rod you purchased like Fenwick does.You don't know if you don't ask. P N J
Old 04-16-06, 03:50 PM   #12
pig n jig

Rebbasser, You going to tell us what it means ? P N J
Old 04-16-06, 03:54 PM   #13
pig n jig

Never mind Reb, I found it. You went through the trouble to type that word for that ? http://www.bartleby.com/61/56/I0075600.html Why couldn't you just say it anit been a good day ? That way all of us common folk can understand it better.You anit got to prove nuthin to us, we already know your smart. p n j

Last edited by pig n jig; 04-16-06 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-16-06, 05:46 PM   #14
FlyRod

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
fly rod
lucky you 1 of these days i am just going to load my stuff and show up in san ann.. i knew reb messed up when he started using big words.. there is nothing dishonest about getting a replacment rod -tell them it broke setting the hook into a stump-that should get it replaced that and engineers scratching there heads...

zooker
And that's not dishonest?
Sorry, but when Congress made me an officer, they insisted I also become a gentleman (I read the fine print three times..."Yep, gotta be a gentleman too...Damn!") So far, I've seldom trangressed 'cept in matters of romance.
I'm not gonna branch out now.
I march to a different drummer, it seems.

FlyRod
Horse Soldier
"For the Honor of Your Regiment! Drive the saber to the hilt!"
http://home.wi.rr.com/glcm/tank2.jpg (Another day at the office, 1969.)

PS: Sorry, San Antonio cops have your mug shot and a "Deport to Meh-hee-Ko, butt nekkid." directive. Heh!

Last edited by FlyRod; 04-16-06 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-16-06, 06:43 PM   #15
JB

nice war pick fly, my dad was a lt. col. in the army,
my brother in law over in iraq, he's supposed to get out May17 or 22nd..
Old 04-16-06, 08:06 PM   #16
zooker

fr
aint been in the gutter as long as some of us i guess..it deals with a code of ethics really your code is much higher then mine..

in case you are wondering tackle as a whole has a 75% mark up. thats right production,pakaging,shipping only cost 1/4 of what you pay.. the old phrase fly rod" do until other as they do to you.." is just being observed that is all...

zooker
Old 04-16-06, 09:01 PM   #17
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Thanks, buddy, but that pic was taken as I was searching for the last of Quantrill's Raiders in Kansas. Got the scumbags too! Of course, they were around 120 years old at the time.
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...Fquantril.html
The tank is an M60A1, 105mm gun. We used older and upgraded M48A3s (90mm) in Beautiful Vietnam.

I sometimes reminisce about the happy days I spent in the turret of old "Ace Tank" (A-1: Unit commander's mount in Alpha Troop. Radio call sign was "Red Six", "Six" indicating the unit commander. "Red" for "A" Troop, "White" for "B" Troop, "Blue" for "C" Troop.)

"GARRYOWEN", THE Cavalry Ditty
(One word, not a guy's name. Rough part of Limerick Ireland. Often mistakenly written as "Gary Owen"...dammit)

Lyrics:
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...Fgo_lyrics.htm
The tune:
http://www.wood.army.mil/band/Music_Ceremonies.htm
(Scroll down to "Garryowen", or enjoy the whole repertoire.)
"St.Patricks Day" is the tune mixed in with "Garryowen"

"Garryowen" became the motto and marching tune of the Seventh Cavalry after Custer heard Major Myles Keogh (KIA, Little Big Horn) and his Irish troopers singing it. Keogh was an Irishman, born and bred.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...giment_dui.htm

Enjoy,

Rod, F.

Last edited by FlyRod; 04-17-06 at 08:14 AM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.