Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-08, 04:58 PM   #26
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Great advice Lancer.

I wear aquaboots (from my scuba equipment) only because my feet get wet getting in the boat. Other than that I remain completely dry. Fins are difficult to use since I raised the seat 11 inches. I will lower it if I am not using a trolling motor since rowing becomes slightly more difficult with the added seat height. A trolling motor will be purchased for the days I am lazy and for windy conditions. I have a waterproof bag with a piece of floating foam in it that I keep my cellphone, keys, and wallet with fishing license in.

I will get a small clip with a yellow cloth to hang on one of my vertical rods. I am looking into purchasing a small handheld gun and snake shot for those moccasins that get too close for comfort. I wonder if they sell nets that can be used to cover yourself in the event of bees?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 09:10 AM   #27
Abbeysdad

I still think it would be better to span the frame in the leg foot area - now I'm thinking marine painted or resin coated 1/2" plywood to turn it into a deck, secured to the tubular frame. Launch from the side by stepping on the pontoon, then the deck. 1/2" would allow you stand up if need be and best of all, you stay dry!
One step further would be to cut a 2x2" at a 45 deg angle, then mount a 4" strip of plastic on the very front to act as a splash guard.
Then it really would be a pontoon boat.

Edit: just realized that for some models they make a standing platform/leg rest.

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 07-28-08 at 09:24 AM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 09:59 PM   #28
Fishnngolfn

It would be difficult to permanently put a standing platform across the front because the footrests are adjustable and I like to adjust them depending on my mood that day. Some days I want to stretch more out, other days I like my knees bent more. The clevis pins make a board difficult since I don't want to damage them with any weight they were not intended for. Also the boat tips forward a little too much for me to stand for any length of time and be comfortable that I won't fall. I don't mind sitting the whole time with brief standing just to stretch. The seat is very comfortable.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 08:44 AM   #29
Abbeysdad

All I was saying is that a platform there, not necessarily for standing, turns that open foot wet waiting to happen area into more of a real [pontoon] boat - and they make a shaped platform that just pops right on there. From the look of it, it doesn't extend all the way to the foot rests, but would provide leg support and prevent a dip if a foot slipped of the pedal. If I was using it, I'd most often be intending to stay dry...not that using it as a swim toy wouldn't be fun too-
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 06:26 PM   #30
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

Take a look at these little boats. The one man starts at $944 with a Motorguide trolling motor. They are really nice. I am considering one of the two man boats for a forty acre lake behind my property. I know it is not a pontoon boat, but you won't be in the water either.

http://www.watermoccasin.net/products.htm

Buddy
buddy_fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.