Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-10, 11:02 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Bass after a large thunderstorm

Well, last night we had tornado sirens, high winds, and heavy rain. Today, 20 hrs later, I went fishing and it was very hot out and sunny. The water was in the high 70's and I expected the fish to be shallow in slop and stuff. I went to some shallow bays and only caught two little ones. Did the thunderstorm push them deep? Why weren't they shallow like normally?

hmmmm...

Oh and the water stayed clear and didn't rise - it barely ever does in the natural lakes around here. The temps stayed warm too.

Last edited by jooleyen; 06-22-10 at 11:20 PM.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 01:23 PM   #2
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

There are tons of variables that can affect that scenario, but here goes. 20 hrs later, clear & sunny...The barometer had settled down. Rule of thumb=just before, during, & just after a storm the fish will be the most active. The closer in time you are to the storm, the more active the barometer is & the stronger the bite. The water stayed clear & didn't rise...With that rain you had, water transfer in the lake surely took place. Much of it through runoff. Rule of thumb=the richer in nutrients a runoff area provides, the larger in number and longer duration the baitfish, ergo, Bass, will congregate in that area to feed. Due to the strength & amount of rainfall, this concentration of nutrients & baitfish may not be in the shallows. Be aware that toxic runoff (field fertilizers, pesticides, large amounts of cow manure, etc.) will have the reverse effect. You'll have to examine the higher ground, feeding runoff, to establish this. Bottom line...Find the baitfish, & you'll find the Bass. This is just a tip of the iceberg, but things I would be looking at right off the top. Hope it helps. I'm sure many others here will offer additional insight. Good fishing.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 06:13 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

geezer is right. There are many variables to consider. And after a night of big storms, it's often a toss up as to what to expect. Two weeks ago, I caught 34 bass on a topwater after a night like you described. I would suggest that after a night like that, if there is still a good wind, head for the wind blown side of the lake and start there.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 06:20 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd think it would push them shalla?!

With all the wind and rain, it'll murk the water up and most likely push them shallla. Maybe they went deep finding current, or you just where not presenting the right baits or something?
Old 06-23-10, 10:20 PM   #5
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

20 hrs later, most likely they are shut off
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 12:28 AM   #6
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

But the water stayed clear boss. No current on natural lakes around here.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 09:20 AM   #7
Cavs1123

they are probably buried in the weeds
Old 06-24-10, 04:00 PM   #8
bassinbob

I have luck fishing laydowns and pads after a hard rain. Most of the laydowns are those that are next to deep water.
Old 06-25-10, 12:56 PM   #9
TN_Bassin

Well when I'm fishing just before, during, or after a large rain or T-Storm I throw topwater. Gennerally speaking if it was 20 hrs later and the storm didnt flood big time then I would think that the fish are back to doing what they "normally" do that time of the year. That's just my 2 cents and since it's a natural lake that doesn't react much to rain it seems like that would be the most likely scenario.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.