Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-05, 10:16 PM   #1
texasnitro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default pig and jig

hey guys i just purchased a black and red jig and a blue to black pig. so i dont have clue how to work it. so if yall could just help me out here a little.
texasnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-05, 11:15 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Fun bait to fish. The first thing to do is add a trailer. You can use chunks, which are made to be fished on a jig, worms, lizards, creature baits-whatever you want. I always try to match the color of the jig to the color of the trailer.

To fish it: There is really no wrong way to fish it-you can hop it, swim it-I experiment with retrieves to see what the fish want. I really like to throw them around flooded timber. The hit usually happens on the fall, so a dropping bait is a good thing. Fish it in and around cover much like you would a T-rig.

I use a heavy action rod and 50 pound braid because of where I fish them. My favorite tactic is to find a flooded treetop, throw the jig over it, and bring it through the branches. That's the reason for the braid. Mono would get shredded if I tried that.

Another way to fish it is to pitch and flip it-let it drop in front of the fish going for a reaction bite.
Old 10-06-05, 07:52 AM   #3
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Good post Reb.

Texasnitro....you can also simply drag the bait slowly along the bottom....this has caught many a bass. Another thing to try is to stop the bait for a few seconds, then lift it just off bottom and shake it with little rod twitches and then let it re-settle.

If you can feel the tonk, set the hook. There will be two "tonks" altogether, the first is when the fish picks it up, the second is caused when the fish spits it out.....not much time in-between.

If you use the "chunk" type trailer with the V tail.....mount it on your jig with the chunk up and the V tail coming off the bottom. You get much better action in general with the tail on the underside. A lot of folks mount the chunk straight through from top to bottom with the hook, but this allows the chunk freedom to turn around and get in the way of the hook......try texas rigging by putting the point of the hook in the front edge of the bait and then coming out the bottom.....kinda like the first part of texas rigging a worm by going in the face of the worm and then out the side.

If you are moving the jig and bump into something on the bottom.....if you are sure it's not a fish (this takes time to learn), instead of yanking to pull it free, try twitching the lure.......thus making the lure seem like a crawdad trying to burrow under the obstacle in an effort to hide. Sometimes this works well to persuade the fish to hit.

You get a variety in the types of hits when jig fishing.....sometimes a bass will drive it into the bottom trying to kill the bait....other times just a little tonk or tick as some say.

Overall, maybe a good idea to have a dark jig, then one that is natural colors in greens and browns, and one white one for swimming just off the bottom.

Hope this helps, good fishing, Mac
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-05, 09:17 AM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I can't really add much, other than always keep the line tight, and set the hook fast. I know they catch fish, and usually bigger fish, but I have gone more to soft craw baits t-rigged because the fish will hold on longer IMO.

Lizards
Old 10-06-05, 10:01 AM   #5
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've gotten away from pork and have done very well with plastic chunk trailers. I pour copies of Zoom's largest chunk and thread it up the hook shank to the lead or rattles and find that the compact profile gets as many bites and allows the chunk to stay on longer.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.