Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-08, 01:19 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Baitcast Reels and their Lower Weight Range Limits

I was just thinking that this could be helpful for newbies looking to getting their first baitcast reel(s) and not be surprised that some reels may not fare as well as others the lower a lure's weight is.

So making things equal, let's leave out line and rod action by noting that these two are given factors that need to be considered by the angler and assume that the right line and rod are used for the baitcaster.

What is your lower weight limitation with the reel(s) you use for 1/4 oz and below?

I know all of us will have different answers, but the information given could give others a good idea of what to expect from different reels.

In my case:

Curado D tosses:
1/4 oz - Easily, no problem
3/16 oz - Easily, no problem
1/8 oz - It can do it but maybe 70-80' max before trouble

Pflueger Trion
3/16 oz - Getting Iffy
1/8 oz - Asking for trouble, especially with wind

Round Abu
1/4 oz - Okay, definitely excels at 1/2 oz and greater
3/16 oz - Getting iffy
1/8 oz - Asking for trouble, especially with wind. Forget about it.

CardiffA
3/16 oz - Fair
1/8 oz - Getting Iffy

Curado BSF
3/16 oz - Easily, no problem
1/8 oz - It can do it but maybe 70-80' max before trouble
Old 04-30-08, 12:43 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I just bout a Abu Morrum SX 1600 Forrell Ultra Mag, its as far as I can tell one of the only Abu's designed for light lures. I had the 1600SX before, lost it in a lake, but it was superb down to 3 inch senkos. I pretty much used it instead of any spinning reel, except for the lightest stuff.

From what I heard, the Diawa Pixy and Shimano Scorpions are very good with light lures. The Japan market really is what is pushing the smaller baitcasters, I am having that Abu imported from Japan actually. Kevin has some sponsors like JapanTackle and I believe is it Ichiban? that deal with supertuning small reels. They supe up reels over there like we do cars.

Last edited by WTL; 04-30-08 at 12:55 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 12:57 PM   #3
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
So making things equal, let's leave out line and rod action by noting that these two are given factors that need to be considered by the angler and assume that the right line and rod are used for the baitcaster.

What is your lower weight limitation with the reel(s) you use for 1/4 oz and below?
This would have to be for just a jig with no trailer or something similar (spinnerbait) because a T-rigged Brush Hog w/ a 4/0 EWG hook and 1/8 oz wt. wouldn't cause a problem with most reels.

Some may not understand.
Old 04-30-08, 01:01 PM   #4
WTL

Well yeah, a brush hog and a 4/0 hook weigh a decent bit though. That is probably close to half ounce when you add a 1/8 weight.
Old 04-30-08, 02:46 PM   #5
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
This would have to be for just a jig with no trailer or something similar (spinnerbait) because a T-rigged Brush Hog w/ a 4/0 EWG hook and 1/8 oz wt. wouldn't cause a problem with most reels.

Some may not understand.
Yes, quite true! I appreciate your point and it provides clarity for sure. Let's say that the weights in question should be the overall weight. A 1/8 oz jig with a trailer of any kind is no longer a 1/8 oz lure for sure.
Old 04-30-08, 03:37 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

This would almost have to be something like a crankbait, or if you wanted to be really accurate, a plain sinker. Even a spinnerbait would not work. The wire form and blades and other components would make it heavier than the say 1/4oz head. As for the Brushhog, soft plastics are quite heavy when dealing with measurements as small as 1/8 oz.

Great Idea though, IB. anytihng on reel like Revo's or Daiwa's or Quantums?

BB
Old 04-30-08, 08:17 PM   #7
rrw4258

I ordered a special sale reel off of Bass Pro (promotional deal), and it has been one of the greatest reels for casting light baits i have ever used. I can cast a Strike King Mini 3 Crankbait over 100 feet with the thing. It is a very small reel, and only holds like 90 yards of 12 lb. test... an awesome reel with a smooth retrieve, great casting, and a good drag for $29.99...

Ryan
Old 04-30-08, 08:35 PM   #8
WTL

Those BPS Extremes are good light lure casters. I have the smallest extreme and it has been serving to cast my light lures. It can't go as little as the Abu Morrum 1600 went, but it easily handles weightless worms and stuff.
Old 05-01-08, 03:48 PM   #9
WTL

Another thing that must be kept in mind is the influence the rod has. Not many great baitcasting rods out there for super small stuff and they all seem to be pretty pricey. I've been looking myself and I might be leaning towards making my first rod just to get everything I want.
Old 05-01-08, 09:50 PM   #10
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
The wire form and blades and other components would make it heavier than the say 1/4oz head.
BB
Are you saying a 1/4 or 1/2 ounce spinnerbait will really weigh a 1/16 or 1/32 ounce more than listed? Don't they make them so they come out to the labeled/expected weight when completley assembled?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 10:07 PM   #11
3dkicker

Yep, think about a single #2 colorado vs a double w/ #2 and a #4 blade. Both are labeled 1/4 oz but which actually weighs more?
Old 05-02-08, 08:02 AM   #12
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm not exactly a newbie, but I think it's a very considerate post. I remember trying to cast a 1/8 oz. Rapala Countdown with my first baitcaster and being completely befuddled as to what to do. Of course, I'd set the brakes all the way down and backlash because of wind.

Oh, if only this site was available when I began.
Old 05-02-08, 05:51 PM   #13
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post
I'm not exactly a newbie, but I think it's a very considerate post. I remember trying to cast a 1/8 oz. Rapala Countdown with my first baitcaster and being completely befuddled as to what to do. Of course, I'd set the brakes all the way down and backlash because of wind.

Oh, if only this site was available when I began.
I know exactly what you mean and that is why I posted this, to help out newbies when they choose their reels. My first one was my round abu g and I couldn't figure out why I could never ever toss my 1/4 oz casting weight without difficult and little distance. I kept overrunning to the point I got frustrated and nearly quit with the baitcaster all together. I did learn that at 1/2 oz and greater it was fine but below 3/8 oz was nothing but trouble.

Then, along comes my curado bsf. My first LP reel. I learned it had no trouble with 1/2 oz. So for fun, I went down incrementally and was pleasantly surprised it easily handled 1/4 oz. Until this point, I made the assumption that baitcasters general don't handle 3/8 oz and less well, all based on my abu g's capabilities. I was wrong.

I learned that some reels can handle 1/4 oz. I then went down to 1/8 and the curado could do it! I even tried the same rapala minnow and it could do it too but other factors that WTL pointed out had to be considered, such as wind.

Also not all 1/8 oz lures are equal. Especially with the wind, less aerodynamic lures like a floating size 5 Rapala, or a 1/8 oz spinnerbait, are not going to fare as well (distance wise) as say a T-rigged worm.

It is far more convenient to use spinning gear for sure, but I still like to use casting gear and like to test their limits because it is fun.

So having this type of data out there for newbies and others I think is good information to have, especially when you are planning to buy the reel. If you know that you're going to be casting say, 1/8 - 1/4 oz jigs, then you can see based off of the list that some reels might not be ideal candidates for you and this is the point of the thread; to have people post what they're lower weight range is for the reels they use.
Old 05-03-08, 05:31 AM   #14
zooker

i use an 1/8 oz speed trap on a quatum mag gear. the line has quite a bit to do with the ability to cast any distance. i use 8 pound test as i find it cast quite well with that light line..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.