Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-08, 10:43 AM   #1
roadrunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Default pond fishermen

for all the pond fishermen who don't have a boat or access to a large lake, this is for those who have a hour to a hour and a half to fish at a time. what do yall use. when I go I have realized that I do not have time to constantly change baits. I usally go to the pond see what kind of water clarity i have, the type of cover: weeds, wood, rocks, etc..., then the time of season, type of light and so on. so far this is what i tend to bring most of the time:
  1. clear water/ bright strike king trick worm, strike king zero watermelon or green pumpkin, maybe a pearl fluke, topwater when overcast, frog in the grass, raodrunner when windy, sometimes drop shot
  2. stained/ top poppers when overcast, frog in the grass, toads, strike king spinner baits when windy, power hawgs t-rigged, zeros in heavy cover t-rigged
  3. murky water/ lipless cranks(red craw in the spring, chart. rest of the year), finness jig black/blue with a electric blue ultra vibe speed craw.
i want to knw what yall think. most of the time i go with a 7ft spinning rod rigged with 10lb braid and a 6,6ft baitcater with 14lb mono. let me know what you use and what seems to work in your area.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 06:12 PM   #2
k-money
BassFishin.Com Member

When I go fishing on small lakes I like to use the Booyah Pond Magic spinnerbaits. They have at walmart most of the time, if that isn't working I go with a texas rigged 7" yum zellamander which is also sold at walmart. I use these baits with a 6 foot rod and a spinning reel with 8lb test. Just an idea
k-money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 08:04 PM   #3
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
clear water/ bright strike king trick worm,
First off, Trick Worms are made by ZOOM unless this is a special worm made by SK.

As for the pond fishin', try working outside weed edges toward the center of the pond with a spinnerbait or T-Rigged soft-plastic like a Senko, Zero, Dinger, Fluke, etc.

When fishing grass, I like to take a weightless Senko, (This will also work with ZOOM Flukes, YUM Dingers, etc...), and cast beyond the grass. I then procede to work it very fast, sort of like a topwater, making it twist and turn. Make sure to use a barrel swivel or else!

Make sure to also give flippin' and pitchin' laydowns and overhanging grass/branches a try! It really works! That baitcaster should do quite well for this. As for all the other things I mentioned, try the spinning rod with a mono or fluoro leader, depending on what and where you're presenting a bait.

-Lunk-
Old 03-16-08, 08:44 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Crankbaits, Crankbaits, Crankbaits. Small Bandit 100's have been the best for us this year, especially the Bluegill color.

BB
Old 03-16-08, 08:48 PM   #5
Preacher
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Preacher

I have to agree with the fluke...I love them, lake or pond. If you love a real fight...tie on a 4" fluke with no weight, if you're in an area where you can cast that way...use spinning tackle, or at least something along the line of a good spincast...no more than 6lb. line. 8 if there is heavy cover at the top of the water. Course i don't know the water temps rite now where you live. The ponds & such here are just getting to prespawn temps generally. I've had fun the past week!!
Old 03-16-08, 09:39 PM   #6
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

great advice from all. the only thing I would add is not to make your decisions on what to throw based on water appearance.... Thinking outside the box often brings home the biggest fish! It sounds like yo got all your bases covered with what you have, just don't be afraid to try new stuff - Lunk has a good point about flippin' from shore into ponds it is a great way to fish...
Old 03-17-08, 10:03 PM   #7
roadrunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Default crankbaits?

crankbaits never really seem to be my friend, i never catch much with them. most of the ponds i fish typically have to much vegetation. i know that one problem is that i do not have any confidence with em, if someone would tell me what to use in really small ponds and when to use them i'll be more than willing to try them.
Old 03-18-08, 07:14 PM   #8
BigBassin144

roadrunner, I've fished some pretty small ponds, some you'd look at and go, "There's no fish in there" And trust me, You can't go wrong with the Bandit 100 or Footloose Series.

BB
Old 03-18-08, 07:15 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Oh, and with Bandit's selection of colors, there's no doubt you'll find one that works for you.

BB
Old 03-18-08, 09:22 PM   #10
bamabassman

well for me on a pond, i have always taken the old rooster tail spinnerbait. yellow or white. cast in shallow water. and then i always liked the manns grape 8" jelly worm for all over the place, and last but not least, a white spinner with willow and spade blades (mostly for the dam area). always took a buzz too. good early in the morning or late evening. had a pond within walking distance and that is what i took. good luck. looks like you have what you need already. good choices.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 09:27 PM   #11
roadrunner
BassFishin.Com Member

i have got some bomber flat A cranks in chartruse and fire tiger, also a manns baby -1, i haved tried them but with out much luck. the manns seemed to cause more of a wake than i liked but maybe that was a good thing. can any one tell me what are the perfect crankbait conditions. as in when they might beat using a spinnerbait
Old 03-23-08, 09:43 AM   #12
BigBassin144

roadrunner, they actually make baits nowdays that are designed to just make a wake. they don't even dive 6". bama makes a good point though. we always used to catch bass in our pond with rooster tails and little mepps. They're those old, effective, yet forgotten lures.

BB
Old 03-23-08, 08:02 PM   #13
bamabassman

i still use the rooster. catches alot of fish. may not be big.....but alot of fun.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 12:09 AM   #14
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I love fishing ponds. The smallest pond I fish (my 6 yr. old can cast to the other bank) has 3 to 4 lb. bass in it. We've caught them on huge baits, 10 in. worms, spooks, 8 in. lizards, etc. I use all types of lures on every pond I fish regardless of the size of the pond.
Old 03-24-08, 12:48 AM   #15
Redneck4woodmont
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Redneck4woodmont

I fish mostly smaller ponds and i can always depend on a watermelon/ red flake tiki stik or a zoom u-tail (preferably motoroil or tequila sunrise) on a 3/0 gam. hook
Old 03-24-08, 08:08 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post
I love fishing ponds. The smallest pond I fish (my 6 yr. old can cast to the other bank) has 3 to 4 lb. bass in it. We've caught them on huge baits, 10 in. worms, spooks, 8 in. lizards, etc. I use all types of lures on every pond I fish regardless of the size of the pond.
hehehe I've got a pond I can practically jump across.

all kidding aside, I too love small ponds, they hold great bass! (except my pond... )

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.