Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-08, 01:18 PM   #1
sacco60
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New Need Help

I am new to lake fishing and I am going to a lake with my 4 year old son. The lake has bass, bluegills and sunnies. You are only allowed to fish from shore so please let me know from start to finish (if possible) what equiptment to use and how to do it. I am used to fishing from a boat in the ocean for much heavier fish and trolling off the back of boats. Any help you could give would be appreciated. Thank you all.
sacco60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 02:22 PM   #2
RIP LIPPER
BassFishin.Com Member

Hello there sacco. I do alot of off shore and in shore salt water fishing also. Pretty new myself at lake fishing, but for what its worth heres my 2 cents. First I would go to wally world and buy some cheap spincast rod and reel combos(I say cheap if your only going once). Then I would get some plastic worms some offset shank hooks, and some small crimp lead wieghts. You could also pick up some small corks for the blue gill. Bass- tie the hook, rig the worm weedless(pics online if ya look) crimp on a wieght 18" up the line. Fish brush, weeds, trees in water. Weedless for your son will be great cause u might get to fish a little yourself do to no snags. Blue gill- same rod/reel put on cork, tie on hook, crimp wieght around 18" up. Need some crickets for this. Put on cricket, GO FISH! Short version but I'm sure more people will elaborate.Good Luck!!
RIP LIPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 05:19 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

earth worms and bobbers for the littl tyke. you'll be busy keeping him loaded with worms ifn you catching gills. great thing you're doing with your son. DON'T FORGET THE CAMERA!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 06:57 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd agree, start with that for your son. He'll have a blast cause I've almost never caught bluegills when I fished for them.

As for bass fishing: we'll need a bit more info about the water your fishing. water clarity, depth, cover, structure, etc.

BB
Old 04-02-08, 07:41 PM   #5
BERKLEY83
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thumbs up

I Just Took My 3 Year Old Daughter Fishing This Past Weekend. The Best For This Is A Small Spinning Outfit, Some Corks And Small Hooks. Also The Line Only Has To Be 4 To 6 Lb Test Nothing Big. I Also Picked Up Some Little Jars Of Gulp Worm You Can Always Keep Them For The Next Trip Cause You Will Only Cut Small Parts Off The Worm And The Last Along Time.best Of Luck And Have A Ball.
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 08:30 PM   #6
bamabassman

zebco 33 and after you are through fishing for the day. put da worms in da fridge till next day. they'll keep for at least a week. good luck!!! and what berkley said too.
Old 04-02-08, 09:58 PM   #7
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERKLEY83 View Post
The Best For This Is A Small Spinning Outfit, Some Corks And Small Hooks. Also The Line Only Has To Be 4 To 6 Lb Test Nothing Big. I Also Picked Up Some Little Jars Of Gulp Worm You Can Always Keep Them For The Next Trip Cause You Will Only Cut Small Parts Off The Worm And The Last Along Time.best Of Luck And Have A Ball.
I agree, except make that a spincast reel, really small jigs, and small bobbers. Also, Gulp! makes jars of maggots that are even better, they just fit on the really tiny jigs, you get more, and the bluegills can't nip them off.

Please be patient with him. Kids his age like to reel in the bait too soon. Just try to explain that he needs to wait for the fishies to swim by (although that rarely works). Sometimes my four year old is too busy checking out the rest of the nature around him to fish. It's cool, it gives one time to do their own fishing.

A trick my grandpa used to use on me was to hook the fish and then ask me to hold his rod for a sec. Then he'd act like I caught it and say that I must have the best luck fishing than anyone he ever met. I fell for it and it began my lifelong passion for the sport and I've pulled it on all of my kids.

In my opinion it is the best bonding experience a father can have with a child.

Last edited by Patrick Krueger, Jr.; 04-02-08 at 10:05 PM.
Patrick Krueger, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 10:09 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum, sacco!

You will find a lot of crossover from salt to fresh water-just downsized big time.

I'll echo the others. Get a Zebco33 combo, some small hooks, small pinch-on or rubber core sinkers and small bobber(s). Tie on the hook, add the sinker up the line a bit, the bobber above that, thread a worm on the hook and keep the camera handy.

For most of us here the obsession we call bass fishing started pretty much the same way-perch jerking
Old 04-03-08, 10:55 AM   #9
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

some small gold hooks 50 to 100 crickets. Your all set to go!!! Crickets are like powerbait next to a night Crawler.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 12:16 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

i would go with the zebco 33 for starters as well. and for perch jerkin you can't beat night crawlers. just use a small crappie hook, add a few split shots above the hook and a cork above the split shot. there is nothing more fun for kids than watching the cork dance when they get a bite.
Old 04-03-08, 04:36 PM   #11
sacco60
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you all for the great advice. This is his fist trip fishing (times to remember) thank you all. Patrick Krueger, Jr the trick your grandpa used on you to hook the fish and then ask you to hold the rod for a sec. Then he'd act like you caught it I hope he does not mine me using it that sound like the grate way to get my son to have the best time to remember
sacco60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 05:47 PM   #12
bamabassman

Do Not Forget The Camera!!!!!!
Old 05-04-08, 07:47 PM   #13
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you wanna catch a whole lot of sunnies and bluegills, use a bobber a small weighted hook (to keep in place and straighten the line) and use some meal worms (nasty little badge worms about 1inch in length) FISH this near weeds and trees. It will be a fun time with you and your son.

Good Luck!
Old 05-07-08, 02:49 PM   #14
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

we've taken my 5 & 7 year olds out a couple times this year while the 7 year old sees me throwing rigged worms and spinners and wants to do the same my 5 year old has been more than happy to have a bobber with a worm on it , the hardest thing is to try to keep them focused on fishing but be patient and they'll enjoy it and help them keep an eye on thier bobber while trout fishing last summer the then 4 year old caught a 18 inch rainbow trout while i was getting my other sons line in the water i turned to look at him and he was petting our dog while the bobber swam away .

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.