Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-10, 08:02 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Charging question

OK, boys, here is one for you:

I was reading Bass Times and one tournament note said a couple of pros had a small generator on board to charge their trolling motor batteries when out on the water when using their troller hard. It got me to thinking: I fish an electrics only lake and after fishing all day the batteries get pretty low, even with Optimas. Before I got the Optimas Lancer6 and I had to run the big engine to get back to the ramp on one occasion(we called the Sheriff's office and got permission). Anyway, I was wondering if I could hook a power inverter to the cranking battery-it has a cigarette lighter plug, hook it to the onboard charger and charge the troller batteries while I am fishing? This would be one 12 V charging 2 12vs. I don't know if this will work or not. Thoughts?
Old 06-10-10, 10:24 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would be suprised if the inverter could handle the amperage draw required to run the battery charger.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 11:05 PM   #3
nofearengineer

It would be pretty inefficient. Also, I am not sure your onboard charger would like the power your inverter puts out. A lot of small inverters put out some pretty "dirty" power (full of a lot of harmonics). It may work, but I think you would be better off buying a "charge on the go" type of charger, or looking into a Trollbridge.
Old 06-10-10, 11:22 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Nofear, I was hoping you would respond. I figured it probably would not be a good idea, just doing a little thinking out of the box.
Old 06-11-10, 10:54 AM   #5
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
It would be pretty inefficient. Also, I am not sure your onboard charger would like the power your inverter puts out. A lot of small inverters put out some pretty "dirty" power (full of a lot of harmonics). It may work, but I think you would be better off buying a "charge on the go" type of charger, or looking into a Trollbridge.
Thanks Nofear - that link also brings up a 'combiner' gizmo that does the same thing for those of us that have a 12v TM. Just need the charging specs for my 90hp Merc.
Now it doesn't work for those that are on electric only water slowly draining your batteries all day, but if your on water and use the TM intermittently, then motor to another fishing spot on the lake, this would be a great investment to keep the TM charged and not risk loosing power to the starting battery....Assuming the big motor has the 'right stuff' to keep multiple batteries charged
Old 06-11-10, 01:48 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Abbey, if I can run the big engine there is no problem-getting from point A to point B the outboard does the job, and I have never have had a problem with low batteries. It is getting from point A to point B using the electric the problem arises. Like I said, just thinking out of the box a little.
Old 06-11-10, 04:59 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Reb,

For those "electric only" lakes, I have actually heard of people using small solar arrays to trickle charge their batteries. They're not dirt cheap, and they don't provide a ton of power, but every little bit helps.
Old 06-11-10, 07:48 PM   #8
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Reb,

For those "electric only" lakes, I have actually heard of people using small solar arrays to trickle charge their batteries. They're not dirt cheap, and they don't provide a ton of power, but every little bit helps.
was it not tommy who had these massive 12volt floor buffer batteries in his boat??

zooker
Old 06-11-10, 07:49 PM   #9
nofearengineer

I'm not sure who Tommy is...maybe before my time?
Old 06-11-10, 07:51 PM   #10
zooker

bassintom

zooker
Old 06-11-10, 11:10 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Yep-bus batteries if I recall correctly. As in school bus batteries.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.