Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-06, 02:02 PM   #1
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default motor dies when put in gear

Buddy of mine has a 125 Mercury 2001 (not for sure about the year). The motor starts fine, but dies when the motor is placed in gear. It seems to better if it is left to idle for a while before moving. I know this is not the way the motor should react. Any one have suggestions on the cause and hopefully the fix. I wondered about a fouled plug or something like that, but I don't know. Thanks!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 02:12 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Mine does that on occasion-just pushing the throttle forward a little more pretty much takes care of it.
Old 05-30-06, 03:26 PM   #3
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Could be a blockage of some type in the carburetor. Could have some type of blockage in the fuel filter.
Old 05-30-06, 03:28 PM   #4
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

1.check the fuel filter.
2.make sure the fuel lines are in good shape(not leaking or sucking air into the system.
3.make sure the lower unit is not locking up.
4.check the fuel pump.
mine did that(suzuki 150),had to replace the fuel pumps(it has 2,some motors have 1)
Old 05-30-06, 06:45 PM   #5
Bender

Mine (40HP Johnson) dies like that until it is warmed up a little too. I changed the filter and rebuilt the carbs so if I want to work on it next I will check the pump.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 06:50 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet
Buddy of mine has a 125 Mercury 2001 (not for sure about the year). The motor starts fine, but dies when the motor is placed in gear. It seems to better if it is left to idle for a while before moving. I know this is not the way the motor should react. Any one have suggestions on the cause and hopefully the fix. I wondered about a fouled plug or something like that, but I don't know. Thanks!
Ok everett could you possibly explain how the motr was acting before it started dying when put in gear. Will help pinpoint the problem. It definatley is a fuel problem since you stated that it helps to let the motor idle for abit before trying to go. It does infact sound like the fuel pump is getting weak and/or has a leak in it. Look around for signs of fuel in the bottom pan of the motor while you are idling. Also make sure and check the tank vents. A lot of fuel problems are small overlooked items that can be fixed easily by the boat owner. Another thing that you need to look for is when priming(squeezing the bulb till firm) do you hear or see gas escaping from the system. A few more explanations are needed to pinpoint the problem.
Old 05-31-06, 11:00 AM   #7
JB

Our 79 glastron used to do that, the gas priming ball was dry rotted, after we replaced that everything was good to go
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 09:34 PM   #8
WIbassfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Could just be the "personality of your boat". As mentioned earlier I just put my throttle down a little farther to get her kickin' then I back off as needed. A little more juice may be all you need. As another example if I'm idling I have to put it back in neutral for a split second and then hammer down when I want to run.

Good idea is to run down the checklist previously posted as well to take care of problems before they become bigger.
Old 06-01-06, 06:05 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbassfisherman
Could just be the "personality of your boat". As mentioned earlier I just put my throttle down a little farther to get her kickin' then I back off as needed. A little more juice may be all you need. As another example if I'm idling I have to put it back in neutral for a split second and then hammer down when I want to run.

Good idea is to run down the checklist previously posted as well to take care of problems before they become bigger.
Very true WI but in all acyuality it is a small problem that eventuallu could lead to a bigger problem. Any of these "personalities" are always something not set correctly or the beginning of a problem. Personally I do my best to solve these. To give ya an idea a buddy of mine has a 135 merc that was doing something very similar to what is described. He had to leave it warm up longer than is necessary. Looked and looked for the problem literally tearing my hair out, throwing fits ...you get the picture. Finally the major problem surfaced. What was going on was the fuel system was running lean due to a very small obstruction in one of the fuel passages. What had happened was a small piece of the inner liner in the fuel line had a small tear in it and over time it got bigger. The end result was a motor that tore the piston top off due to a lean fuel delivery. The small problem turned big at around 5000 rpms and cost approximatley $1900 to fix. Now you see why I do everything possible to make sure that an engine is running like it is supposed to. Problems like this are much more prone to do major damage especially on a Mercury because 90% of there parts are machined, hence the higher price on a merc and also the reason they are faster. Tight tolerances do not allow for mistakes. Omc's.yammy's and sucksuki's have machined parts but not near as many as merc's.
Old 06-03-06, 09:21 AM   #10
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well, the problem might have been deiscovered. He has had the boat about a month or two. He has been out about 10 times. The last trip out this beeping noise started as we were running. Yesterday, the boat started beeping more and more. He ran by the place he got it and the service guy said "have you checked the oil lately?" The answer was nope! He got home and the engine was a little dry on oil. Maybe that was why it was stalling when put in gear. Time will tell. Thanks for all the great suggestions. If that didn't do it, we will start looking at each suggestion one by one! Thanks again.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 10:35 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet
Well, the problem might have been deiscovered. He has had the boat about a month or two. He has been out about 10 times. The last trip out this beeping noise started as we were running. Yesterday, the boat started beeping more and more. He ran by the place he got it and the service guy said "have you checked the oil lately?" The answer was nope! He got home and the engine was a little dry on oil. Maybe that was why it was stalling when put in gear. Time will tell. Thanks for all the great suggestions. If that didn't do it, we will start looking at each suggestion one by one! Thanks again.
rotfl Sorry but I can't help but laugh. BEEP, oil low, Beep beep beep, oil low. Next time the dang thing beeps at ya, realize it's probably because there is a problem. FIND OUT WHAT, don't just wait for the beeping to drain down the batteries. Or better yet just disconnect the beeper

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.