Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-07, 09:18 PM   #1
bassmasster
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Putting a grub worm on the hook of an buzzbait?

i have started useing buzzbaits for like 4 days now and really like...I was wondering is u putt a grub on the hook would u catch more fish.i have heard of this somewhere and they say it works does it.
Old 06-27-07, 09:38 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I always put a 3 inch grub on my buzzbaits, a 2 inch will do also...my color of choice are white or white and chartruse.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 09:43 PM   #3
bassmasster
BassFishin.Com Member

oh ok well all i got is an like a 2 or 3 inch and it like green will it do good in the morning?
Old 06-27-07, 09:56 PM   #4
bassmasster
BassFishin.Com Member

well i just went through my bag and found an white 2 in but the skirt is like an green yellow white color so will it work?
Old 06-27-07, 10:01 PM   #5
bubba bass bigfoot
BassFishin.Com Active Member

color should be the same, or look as if it bleeds into each ohter. not sure if it matters all that much with a fast moving top water bait like a buzz? the grub just gives it a larger profile and adds a little more action.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 10:13 PM   #6
bassmasster
BassFishin.Com Member

ok about what time in the morning u guys think i should get out.........it is like a small lake not to all the stucture is not that much mostly open water (fishing of bank) any tips on what i should thro??
Old 06-27-07, 11:02 PM   #7
bubba bass bigfoot

get out at day break. try to be there when the frogs are out and about. plus its always good to be there that early, you have all day to fish and try some new things.

Good Luck.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 09:52 AM   #8
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

It Will Also Help To Keep The Buzzbait Up Easier Due To The Larger Profile. I Dont Like To Use Them For The Same Reason That It Makes A Larger Profile. Unless Its Really Dark Out Like Very Early Morning, Very Late Evening Or Night. Remember The Bigger The Profile The Less Realistic it looks to a bass.

Last edited by bassthumb32; 06-28-07 at 10:02 AM.
bassthumb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 12:19 PM   #9
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Herr BassMeister,

I occasionally use a curly tail grub on a buzz bait, but generally reserve that for use on spinnerbaits.
During periods of poor visibility the grub may enhance "target acquisition" on the part of the bass, but the increased profile of the lure may lead to more short strikes.
If you DO opt to try it, consider using a twin-tail grub (The ZOOM twin-tail, in 3" is a great choice). The increased commotion may help trigger strikes. Also, BEFORE attaching the grub, line it up to see where the hook must exit the plastic in order to assure a straight rig. It's better to have the grub at a slight down angle, relative to the axis of the hook if you cannot get it perfectly aligned. Reason? Well, if the twin tails are angled downward this will impart a little more lift, thereby enabling a slower retrieve, and possible increase water displacement...a good thing in most instances.
Now, before you attach the grub, consider skirt length. If the strands are too long they may impede the action of the tail(s). Consider trimming the skirt slightly to avoid this.
Ideally, the hook should exit the plastic at the rearmost possible point, just before the tails "split". So, you may have to evenly "bob" the nose of the grub to accomplish this. The object here is to preserve the extra attraction of noise and ruckus provided by the grub but do minimize the overall length of the finished product...again, to minimize the likelihood of short strikes.
NOTE! Be careful to NOT over-trim the nose of the grub. You need enough plastic at the rear exit point to hold the grub in place and not split the plastic.
One bugaboo with adding soft plastics to jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzers, etc, is the propensity of the grub to slide on the hook. After a relatively short period of casting the grub will slide down the hook due to the forces of the backcast and forecast. This means the grub arrives on target already out of whack.
Solution; After you have managed to get the grub threaded properly, with due consideration to the requirements mentioned earlier, slide the grub back a bit, exposing the shank of the hook. Then, apply a small drop of super-glue to the shank, right where the metal enters the plastic. BE CAREFUL TO AVOID USING TOO MUCH and/or allowing the glue to contact the skirt strands! Slide the grub into position and press it firmly against the rearmost portion of the lead body. You can repeat this treatment as needed when fishing.
Once you've got the rig assembled, make some test casts and retrieves to assure the maximum tail action...adjust as needed, perhaps by trimming a FEW strands of the skirt a bit further.
Colors; While I generally recommend using a grub matching the skirt color, there are some worthwhile variations. For instance, a chartreuse grub with a white skirt, or just the reverse; Chartreuse skirt + white grub.
With a chartreuse AND white skirt, either color grub will do, based on trying both and seeing what the bass prefer.
If you have only single-tail grubs, all the same tips apply and you must be certain that the tail curls DOWN relative to the lure. If it points up it will remain "dead" when being retrieved. Remember, the hook curves up, the tail curves DOWN. With the twin-tails, the two tails must align perfectly left and right, NOT one-down-one-up.

PM me if you need further assistance. If need be, I can send you, no charge, a fully-"Grubbed" buzz bait to use as a model. I have plenty, believe me.

Be safe,

FR

Last edited by FlyRod; 06-28-07 at 12:31 PM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 04:30 PM   #10
wargoth

Is it possible to use a trailer hook with a twintail grub, or does it interfere with the action? I tend to use trailers on all my spinners and buzzers.
Old 06-28-07, 09:04 PM   #11
lizardsrule

I never ever use a trailer on a buzzbait. I do however use one constanly on a spinnerbait.

Lizards
Old 06-28-07, 11:13 PM   #12
wargoth

Any particular reason for that Lizard? I'm an old hand at Lake Erie Walleye, but this bass stuff is new to me.
Old 06-29-07, 04:04 AM   #13
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargoth View Post
Is it possible to use a trailer hook with a twintail grub, or does it interfere with the action? I tend to use trailers on all my spinners and buzzers.
WG,

It's possible to use one, and it's not much different from using a trailer with a single-tail.
If you rig the grub on an already-installed trailer you have a lure with a LOT of length...not necessarily good, especially near cover.
Probably the best way is to rig the grub, using all the "cautions" I mentioned earlier, THEN add the trailer hook as normal.
While some peoplerig the trailer to swing freely I believe the semi-rigid rig will serve you better when using the grub. Sooo...
Attach and secure the grub (if you rig it slightly "down", thus exposing more of the curve of the hook, you will be better off.) Then, take a section of surgical tubing, sized to allow you to slip the eye of the trailer hook INTO it, completely enclosing the eye. Be sure and use a thick-walled rubber surgical tubing OR neoprene, like that used for model airplane fuel line and choose that inner diameter which assures a TIGHT fit. Usually a 1/4" piece will do the job. You can get the stuff at any hobby shop that caters to the model airplane crowd.
Then, simply impale the eye of the trailer on the point of the main hook, punching the point of the main hook through the tubing and the eye of the trailer hook.
Adjust the trailer so that it rides level or angled slightly downward behind the main hook and above the grub. You will have to check this between casts and adjust accordingly.
This all takes some practice and effort but if you are plagued with short strikes it may save the day.

Good Luck,

FR
Old 06-29-07, 09:32 AM   #14
Mac1

Some of the fellows in this area use the back end of pearl flukes on their buzzbaits, using about 2/3 of the fluke length. Some opt to remove the skirt, some thin the skirt and some use the skirt as is.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 08:30 PM   #15
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargoth View Post
Any particular reason for that Lizard? I'm an old hand at Lake Erie Walleye, but this bass stuff is new to me.
Just my opinion differs from others when it comes to topwater fishing. I believe a bass has a better chance of missing a topwater than any other bait. I want them to concentrate on the part with the hook, thereby leaving less trailing behind. I've not had a problem getting bass to bite a buzzbait without a trailer. IMHO it's more about where and how you fish it. Now do you see a Jitterbug, Pop-R. Chug Bug, Skitterwalk, Spook or any other topwatrer using trailers? It's just MY opinon of course, but the less area for a bass to target on a topwater, the better my confidence is on getting a hookup.

Lizards
Old 06-30-07, 01:49 AM   #16
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Just my opinion differs from others when it comes to topwater fishing. I believe a bass has a better chance of missing a topwater than any other bait. I want them to concentrate on the part with the hook, thereby leaving less trailing behind. I've not had a problem getting bass to bite a buzzbait without a trailer. IMHO it's more about where and how you fish it. Now do you see a Jitterbug, Pop-R. Chug Bug, Skitterwalk, Spook or any other topwatrer using trailers? It's just MY opinon of course, but the less area for a bass to target on a topwater, the better my confidence is on getting a hookup.

Lizards

Excellent! However, some of the lures you mentioned DO come with a trailer of sorts in the form of a dressed treble on the rear. Still, these are "armed and dangerous" so all is well.

FR
Old 06-30-07, 08:39 AM   #17
Mac1

Lizards.....good point. Friend in Georgia targets the hook by putting a different color near where the hook comes out on soft plastics. A red area around the hook shaft as it comes out of the bait seems to help prevent short strikers on soft plastics, according to him.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 08:42 AM   #18
BPACA

Yeah Lizards that sounds like it is right...I've started using a trailor hook on mine and been havin the same results pretty much ....I did hook one the other night on just the trailer.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 01:46 PM   #19
zooker

trailer hook always on the buzzbait.. a grub on the rear of a buzzbait makes them actually strike farther BEHIND the bait..the trick with a buzzbait is to get them to aim at the front of the bait -the part making noise- do this by shortening the skirt to in front of the hook point..get the bulk out front as much as possible..

my spinnerbaits always have a grub rigged.

zooker
Old 06-30-07, 06:05 PM   #20
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
Excellent! However, some of the lures you mentioned DO come with a trailer of sorts in the form of a dressed treble on the rear. Still, these are "armed and dangerous" so all is well.

FR
I was waiting for that response rotfl. However the trailer is a "HOOK" as you stated.

Mac,

That's sounds like a very interesting idea, very well does help out, thanks for the tip.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.