Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-08, 12:53 PM   #1
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Man's best friend is going home to the lord!!!

My best freind,Hunting partner,Fishing partner & pet. Is going to be put down this afternoon. Rosey who is 14yrs old has been suffering from way to many complications as of late. She is a golden lab. Who wieghs about 95lbs. She has kidney problems. She has a bad case of arthor. She has been slowly loosing her mind. So badly she is chewing on her self so bad she won't stop. I have been spending 80 bucks a month in meds on her. This morning i came to the reality or conclusion that her quality of life is not good. The reality is i new that back a couple of month ago. But i quess i was hoping my fishing partner would hold out. I love her & will miss her dearly. So i am getting off early at work. I am going to bathe dadies princes one last time. i am ging to wash her in some of the wifes frangrant soap & make her smell purty. Blow dry her hair & comb it one more time. Then give as many dog biscuts that she wants. Then to the vet at 5:15 to end her life with the dignity & respect she deserves. This is going suck badly & hurt badly. She has lived and served me for 14 yrs. Yes there will be another dog in Moose's Canoe next season Barking at bass as daddy brings them in the boat. But not like her. She will be badly missed.
Old 12-11-08, 01:02 PM   #2
MississippiBoy

That's a very tough decision, moose. It's like losing a family member, especially after 14 years. That's a good long life, especially for a big dog like that. But from what you say, it is the right decision. Keep your chin up.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 01:02 PM   #3
woody

I truly do feel for ya Moose, I had to do the same thing a year ago, one thing is for sure our memories will never leave us.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 01:15 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn

I can't imagine what you are going through. Very sad and sorry for you lose.

FnG (another dog lover)
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 01:21 PM   #5
quenston
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey our hearts are with you like some have said losing a pet is like losing a family member about three months ago I had to put one of my dogs to sleep and it was by far the hardest thing and decision that I have had to do!!
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 01:29 PM   #6
doc

Very sad moose. Our dog is a member of our family, I can only imagine the grief we would feel. My condolonces.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 04:30 PM   #7
BassinBandit

Moose I feel for ya man, I know how hard that is to go through. My dog is my boy and I will hate the day when we have to part, Its a tough decsion you had to make and I repect you for making what is probably the right call (IMO).
Old 12-11-08, 06:35 PM   #8
Jim80

sorry to hear it moose , my wifes parents are going through the same thing wife their dog it's heart wrenching to see .

Jim
Old 12-11-08, 06:46 PM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

moose..... i too know EXACTLY how you feel buddy. my best friend, besides the wife, is 11 now. everyone has seen his picture in my boat. he is the best as for as i am concerned. i love a good dog, ANY dog that is a good dog. i will pray for her tonight as i tuck in the old boy tonight. i dread the day i have to make that decision for him. i just hope that i can muster up enough strentgh to do it. sorry friend. but you have your heart in the right place. god bless you 2.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 07:52 PM   #10
Bob Smith

I had to put my little dog down last year after 16 years. She just couldn't make it and when I looked at her, those poor little eyes were full of pain. It hurt me so see her that way, but it also hurt to put her down. I still haven't replaced her and probably won't. It was very hard for me to do. God Bless you, Moose. I hope you handle it well, the poor old dog will be in good hands (be rest assured).
Old 12-11-08, 08:08 PM   #11
bcklash

moose, smile with the great memories.
Old 12-11-08, 08:24 PM   #12
keithdog

Awww Moose. I really feel for ya. We had to put our lab down a couple years ago and it really tore us up. Our golden retriever is also 14 and I'm afraid her days are numbered too. Sometimes I swear our labs spirit still hangs around the way our golden acts. They were best friends. We have a new young yellow lab pup who's been a blessing for us after loosing our lab. I wish you the best.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 11:28 PM   #13
flbassman

Sorry to hear that man.....We've put down a couple, it sucks. It's the best thing for the dog though, it's hurtin right now and it will be in peace.
Old 12-12-08, 11:00 AM   #14
Lilmoosecountry

Well i would like to say that i'm not Hurt'n. But i am. It hurt's really bad. She is my only friend outside of family. She was my fishing buddy. My boat will be empty next season with out her. You keep hereing about a canoe. But the boat is 17ft long. Itz big enough for my fat dog & me. I want a coon hound either a bluetick or black & brown. I am hoping to find one about 3 to 5 yrs old. I think if i find one the easior it will be to move on. Till that happens i will feel empty. The weathor is just now getting cold enough to ice fish from the docks. I will not have her with me this winter. It is going to feel DAM lonely Fishing. I use to feed her a live Crappie now & then.
Old 12-12-08, 11:30 AM   #15
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
Well i would like to say that i'm not Hurt'n. But i am... I want a coon hound either a bluetick or black & brown. I am hoping to find one about 3 to 5 yrs old...
I've got this gut feeling that you'll find just the right one, you tuff old bird.
Old 12-12-08, 11:49 AM   #16
JB

Try the animal shelters, nation wide the amount of pets being abandoned due to foreclosures has risen 75%, you'd be amazed at how many dif breeds of AKA registered dogs are being given up due to financial
woes. sad isnt it
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 01:04 PM   #17
66KingFisher

Moose.....I feel your pain buddy.....I had to put down my best bud this past summer after he had some type of stroke or something that caused his quality of life to drop substantually. I do believe it was the hardest thing i've ever done......He was my buddy for over 14yrs and holds a special place in our family. I stayed with him during the procedure at the vet, and then brought him home and buried him in the backyard next to another of our family pets......I sit back there and talk to him on occasion.....I know he hears me.

Hang in there dude.....get ya another fishin buddy as soon as you can.....we did and it really, really helped.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 02:29 PM   #18
Lilmoosecountry

Thanks everbody thanx allot!!!
Old 12-15-08, 11:34 AM   #19
BassinBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Try the animal shelters, nation wide the amount of pets being abandoned due to foreclosures has risen 75%, you'd be amazed at how many dif breeds of AKA registered dogs are being given up due to financial
woes. sad isnt it
JB is right. Animal shelters are rescue groups are great places to find good dogs. When you are ready a good place to look it Petfinder.com, A lot of rescue groups post there and you can work with them to get you new friend to home no matter where they are at. I feel for you man and I hope you find your new fishing buddy when you are ready.
Old 12-15-08, 01:17 PM   #20
Lilmoosecountry

I gott a new friend Saturday. I'm not over my loss of rosey. But i have a new friend Otis sure is helping try. He is a 2 yr old Akc. Basset Hound. Were still getting used to each other. But i believe the good lord must have been involved in this with Otis
Old 12-15-08, 02:07 PM   #21
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry to read this. Even got me misty.

My dog's 16, still holding on, but I know the day nears.

Enjoy the new family member.
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 02:51 PM   #22
woody

Good for you Moose. Give Otis a bone from me.
Old 12-16-08, 12:46 AM   #23
Rebbasser

DOGS AND MEN

[CENTER]
A dog does not live as long as a man, and this natural law is the font of many tears. If a boy and a puppy might grow to manhood together and together grow old, and so in due course die, full many a heartache might be avoided. But, the world is not so ordered, and dogs will die and men will weep for them, so long as there are dogs and men.
(Author unknown to me.)
Going to have to go through that in the not too distant future. I feel your pain, Moose-been down that road myself a time or two.
Old 12-16-08, 10:24 AM   #24
Lilmoosecountry

Thanx Reb that lifted me up allot. How many of you go fishing with mans best friend.
Old 12-16-08, 11:24 PM   #25
bamabassman

i do every time i can go pal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.