Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-06, 03:20 PM   #1
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Best Soft Plastic frog

Whats your favorite frog like the zooms and why. How exaclty have you been working these things. I have heard tons of hype but haven't gotten to fish them so I will be this spring. What size hook too so I know what to get and colors.
Old 01-16-06, 03:50 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The tournament or scum frogs are what I use, both come with two hooks,
I look for something that has enough weight to throw a good distance, yet the bait "collaspes" when bite down on, giving room for the two hooks that come over the rear legs to penetrate the bass mouth. I used to think that the percentage of hookups was low compared to the number of blowups you get on the frog, but Denny K. proved me wrong, he hooks about 9
out of 10 bass that blow up on the frog. I used to use one other frog that had the spinnerbait skirts for legs, they are about all the same to me.
I am going to try the Zooms horny frog this year and will let you know.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 03:56 PM   #3
crankybait

whats a blow up? also, ive heard good things about the sumo frog stuff
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 04:41 PM   #4
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If I'm not mistaken, i think he's talking about frogs like Zoom horny toads and Sizmic toads and what not..and so far Zoom is the best to me. I say that because it seems more versatile as I can't get much action out of the legs on Yum buzzfrogs and sizmic toads as of yet(only gotten to fish with them 2 times, in cold water no less, so not much time to work with them)when they are under water.

As for how I fish them, it ranges from jigging them(hopping them along the bottom, deadsticking between hops), slow rolling them(have to keep it slow because all the soft plastic frogs are very bouyant and designed to come up quick), and working them on the top, working them like a jerkbait(pull em up to make em swim, then let them float down a bit, give a couple short pulls, let fall..you know the pattern). There really isn't a wrong way to fish these baits so do whatever comes to your mind. For hooks, a 4/0 or 5/0 is the best, EWG. Just make sure you pull the nose of the frog up over the knot, I find that helps it stay in place a little better and also allows you to get the hook all the way to the back of the frog(works very well with the Zoom)
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 04:56 PM   #5
Fishie

Thanks, I am talking about all frogs but the zoom ones and stuff like it in particular
Old 01-16-06, 05:26 PM   #6
Bass Ackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm going to give the "Snag Proof Moss Master Tournament Frog" a try this year. I've heard of people inserting a worm rattle with good results. I may just get the cheap model and make my own rattle, how hard could it be?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 05:40 PM   #7
KH.

alright i have a question for yall, for my frogs i use medium heavy rod,and no stretch line for the frogs, is this wrong?
Old 01-16-06, 05:42 PM   #8
crankybait

bass ackwards, try those lil rattles from the dollar store... they look pretty small
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 07:16 PM   #9
KenDammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh51501
alright i have a question for yall, for my frogs i use medium heavy rod,and no stretch line for the frogs, is this wrong?
medium or medium heavy will work with the frog, it depends on how you're fishing it. On top and as a "crankbait" style of retrieve, medium might be a little better, or if you're jigging it, throwing it into slop, medium heavy would be the ticket. I'm also a believer that its a lot easier and a lot cheaper to change the way you set a hook vs. changing lines for everything you do. Of course, different lines can't all be used for the same applications. In the case of fishing frogs, no stretch line is fine because its the same bite as a worm or jig, unless you're slow crankin it, but braid will still be fine, then.
Old 01-16-06, 08:12 PM   #10
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I bought Mann's Hard Nose Toads that I can't wait to try. Zoom's worked very well for me also. I wanna' get the frog that Dean Rojas designed and can't seem to put down.
Old 01-16-06, 08:23 PM   #11
KH.

on top like a buzzbait kenny
Old 01-17-06, 02:39 AM   #12
KenDammit

Yep, like a buzzbait
Old 01-17-06, 06:13 PM   #13
bassinbob

I used the Horny Toad, the Sizmic, the Mann's hard Nose, and a similiar one from case Plastics. By far the one that outproduced the others for me was the Horny Toad. I don't know if that was the case because it was the first one I used and had more confidence in it than the others. The results of using it against the others was by far more convincing. Something happened with the Horny toad that I never experienced before. I made a cast with a Horny toad and got a mild backlash. The cast I made was to the outside edge of a lilly pad bed. As I worked on the backlash and got it out I started reeling the line very fast so I could make another topwater cast. The toad had sunk to the bottom and the very instant it came to the surface a bass lunched itself out of the water and tried to engulf the lure. It looked like a torpedo. I was startled and should have understood that it is a versitile bait. But i didn't. This season I will try it other ways instead of only as a top water lure. The most strikes I had on these lures was with watermelon red. The Toad was best followed by the Hard Nose then the Sizmic. The Case knock off is too light for me. It might be better used on spinning gear. As far as the other types of frogs they all worked equally well. I had very good success with the Strike King mice or rats. Yellow and white did very good. In the summer they worked all day long and in the fall in the morning and the evening.

Bob
Old 01-17-06, 07:17 PM   #14
rrw4258

i went to a local wal-mart store and saw they had some fishing clearance, so i picked up 3 packs of 14lb. Trilene XT, and they also had Zoom Horny Toads for $1.00 a piece!! I picked up 10 bags of those in all different colors!!!

Ryan
Old 01-17-06, 07:27 PM   #15
NCfisherman86
BassFishin.Com Member

reaction innvoation swamp dwamp, dean rojas, for ur harder frogs and case plastics buzzin frogs blow zoom and all the others outta the water, just wait a couple more weeks berkley has got one thats lookin like its going to top them all
NCfisherman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 08:43 PM   #16
Rodman_Rob

I've used the sizmic and zoom quite a bit and have had a lot better luck with the sizmic. The sizmic has a better action while on the top AND while on the fall (if fishing like a worm). I used the Manns Hardnose for the first time yesterday and was quite disappointed, the legs didn't do a very good job kicking.
Old 01-17-06, 09:35 PM   #17
bass kicker

tournament and regular scum frog and scum frog popper

there are two tech i use one is throwing it as far in the slop as i can and burning it back to the boat

and the other is slow shaking it bak to the boat and when you find a bit of open water and are using the popping one give it a pop and then wait ant continue shaking it back to the boat
Old 06-30-07, 08:45 PM   #18
JoeBass
BassFishin.Com Member

I use the sizmic toad and bronze eye frog. the sizmic toad is great in open water, i swim it in a few inches under the water and the bass love it. The bronze eye frog get a ton of hits in the weeds and moss but very few hook ups.
JoeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 01:03 PM   #19
basschamp4
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i use the horny toads from zoom and they work great for me all over and throughout the day
basschamp4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.