Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-10, 10:02 PM   #1
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Silly Question about "twitching"

I always see people are talking using jigs, worms, frogs, soft baits, That you you need to pause and "twitch" the bait.

Do they mean literally snapping your rod in a random direction, or just a quick short/sporadic reel in?

Real newbie question, but I cant seem to really find a clear answer.
BassNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 11:12 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use my rod to enact a very short fast tug to literally twitch the lure. Hope that helps.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 07:26 AM   #3
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Some twitch by using a short pop, moving the rod tip perhaps two to three inches, but some finesse the bait by simply grabbing the rod handle somewhat harder making the movement of the rod tip barely visible, just gripping suddenly without "intending" to jerk the tip.

It's far from a dumb question and you just have to ask if trying to duplicate......some choose to twitch by raising the rod tip, some use a sideways movement......some twitch on a steady retrieve with no slack. others on the pause as you have indicated with perhaps a slight amount of slack...... In short, when you want to include a twitch in a given presentation, just try differing types and I suspect you will most lilely find the best twitch for that particular time and situation.

In slow falling and deadsticking presentations, I most often use the "gripping" twitch to twitch the bait but not move it hardly at all from the area.....it's really more of a tremor than a twitch in my thinking, but can be very effective at times. Good Fishing, Mac

Last edited by Mac2; 07-22-10 at 07:33 AM.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 07:35 AM   #4
Ebbetsguy

A good idea is to cast each lure where you can see it. Then you can use the different approachs, from small pops and pulls with your rod, to simply apply some movement to the rod tip as you reel in. PAY ATTENTION TO HOW THE LURE REACTS TO EACH IN THE WATER, then you will know how the lure is looking and acting when you cast it out of view, and during the whole retrieve
You will be surprised how with some lures, especially plastics, the profound effect this has on a lure, while others show much more subtle changes with these tactics. Good luck, these type of discoveries are a good part of the fun to be had.

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 07-22-10 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling for a change
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 08:58 AM   #5
Ground Pounder

I sometimes take a few lures out to the swimming pool in the backyard while I'm grilling or cooking to help pass the time. I'll dip and dunk and twitch them around, and watch the action of the lure. Even the little wading pool that my dogs use will work for top-waters and such. Just make sure you cover the hooks if it's inflatable!

(also makes a good tool for target practice when I'm workin' on my casting).
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 09:29 AM   #6
Ebbetsguy

Swimming pool is an excellent suggestion. I first learned about imparting action 40 years ago, with the first of the worms to come out THE CREME, which was basically a stiff piece of rubber with 3 hooks, a propeller and some beads on it. A gentle man Joe Brikner told me how to twitch the rod than use a stop and go method.
Then just as recently as five years ago I finally got serious about jig fishing and was very unsuccessful and 3 fellas from Bass Resource. Tommy (Catt), Matt Fly and LBH (RUSS) really helped me as i did not realize how far the jig was moving with the simplest 2 inch pop of the rod tip. Tommy was the key through countless posts, PM,s and phone calls, he has proven to be my single best teacher, Russ even posted a video there demonstrating a lot of this
Tommy first suggested the pool or clear water look at the baits in the water. I have since checked out every bait i use a lot, i have found ways to physically alter the baits out of the box and change presentations to try and get our green friends to buy into the idea that this is it's best shot at an easy meal in that instant
Experiment, read, and fish, you are in for a lot of fun, and there are no stupid questions
Old 07-22-10, 09:57 AM   #7
HarveysMinnow

All good suggestions for you, Bass Newbie, and I would only add that it sometimes helps to look at things from the fish's point of view.

Bass and most other fish learn that when something alive falls into the water, it either struggles on the surface, or during it's slow descent before drowning. Anything you can make your lure do to mimic this struggling motion will make it more attractive to the fish. Same for swim baits, many of which look like minnows (to us at least...who knows what they really look like to a fish). If you make the action more erratic by twitching, the Bass may think it's a dying minnow, which is much easier prey to a lazy Bass.

Old 07-22-10, 10:06 AM   #8
Ebbetsguy

So Harvey is this what you think happened to Jimmy Hoffa, shark got him, off Jersey Shore?
Old 07-22-10, 10:06 AM   #9
geezer1

What works one day may, or may not, work the next. Mix it up until you find what works in a particular place & time. Trying to figure it out is half the fun.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 10:49 AM   #10
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
So Harvey is this what you think happened to Jimmy Hoffa, shark got him, off Jersey Shore?
LOL...I would be afraid to speculate on the fate of Mr. Hoffa. Too many unknowns!
Old 07-22-10, 11:47 AM   #11
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yeah, it's literally giving the rod a slight snap.

With worms, or jigs, you usually will twitch the rod upwards .
With a jerkbait, like a fluke or x-rap, or top water, like a popper or spook, usually downwards a slight angel.
Old 07-22-10, 01:50 PM   #12
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree with all said!
Old 07-22-10, 11:11 PM   #13
tim4081

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveysMinnow View Post
LOL...I would be afraid to speculate on the fate of Mr. Hoffa. Too many unknowns!
Fish food for Lake St Clair smallies is what I heard.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 01:08 PM   #14
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
What works one day may, or may not, work the next. Mix it up until you find what works in a particular place & time. Trying to figure it out is half the fun.
Newbie...When I read the above comment today, I realized it was not very clear. I was referring to "twitching" only. Sometimes Bass may want a short, fast, sporadic twitch, & other times they may want a slow, long & methodical twitch. Or they may want something in between. So there is no one correct way to present the bait. You should always keep in mind that you're trying to duplicate their forage & sometimes you have to move around the spectrum to get it right. We all have our favorite ways to present lures, but unless we are willing to "mix things up", our success rate suffers. Good fishing.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.