Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-10, 08:16 PM   #1
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Finesse Spinning Setup

I want a multi use finesse fishing spinning setup. I have a game plan but wanted opinions... It is meant for drop shot, shakey head, and the occasional crappie fishin with jigs or minnows...

Was lookin at:
Carrot Stix Drop Shottin 7'2" Medium Rod
Pflueger President Spinnin Reel
Invisx Flouro 6-8 lb test

Any opinions on this steup besides color???
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 08:28 PM   #2
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Other than being orange I think you would be very happy with that setup.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 08:56 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I honestly don't know if I'd buy a carrot stick because of all the bad surrounding them.

However, I'd highly suggest the Shimano Crucial DS rod. You can get a 7'2" M or ML. Other than the carrot stick, it sounds like a good combo.

BB
Old 08-01-10, 09:17 PM   #4
Tavery5

I have a couple of the Pflueger President reels, very good and tuff to beat for the price. I also own a few Carrot Stix rods, for $89 dollars, you will be hard pressed to find a better rod.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 09:23 PM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think that would be a pretty good all round setup (other than it being a Carrot Stick ).

The spinning rod I use the most is a Falcon Lowrider - http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Falco...page-FLRS.html
LFS-5-167 LR

It handles everything except super light grub rigs quite well. I like the 6'7" length as it handle dock skipping quite well.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 08:48 AM   #6
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I honestly don't know if I'd buy a carrot stick because of all the bad surrounding them.
BB
Would someone care to remind me what's so bad about an orange rod? I must have missed or overlooked that thread.

Old 08-03-10, 09:06 AM   #7
walkeraviator

I think it has been said that they had some QC issues at one time and a large percentage of their rods were breaking... and that their customer support wasnt that great when trying to claim warranty on teh broken rods...

but its all second hand knowledge to me...i have never owned one.. that is why i was asking.... I basically cant spend over $100 for a rod... and saw the price on this rod and know their reputation for sensitivity... so it peaked my interest.
Old 08-03-10, 09:11 AM   #8
Jrob78

Carrot Stix are among the lightest rods out there and said to be very, very sensitive by those who use them. In my opinion buying one is a gamble, but at the price they are going for now it might be a gamble worth taking. You'll probably either love it, or......................it will break.
Old 08-03-10, 09:44 AM   #9
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds like a good set up, my brother got a pres, and loves it! I'd never buy one personally just because they're so heavy. I won't get tiered, they're just heavy, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Carrot Stix are among the lightest rods out there and said to be very, very sensitive by those who use them. In my opinion buying one is a gamble, but at the price they are going for now it might be a gamble worth taking. You'll probably either love it, or......................it will break.
Yup! If you buy 20 C-sticks, than 8 of them will probably break. The rest will last you! I also here they have crappy customer service, so if you break one, don't expect a replacement any time soon. Just what I've heard from different folks.
Old 08-03-10, 11:20 PM   #10
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Sounds like a good set up, my brother got a pres, and loves it! I'd never buy one personally just because they're so heavy. I won't get tiered, they're just heavy, lol!
That's odd. I had three (one is at the bottom of a lake attached to a to a quantum PT rod) and never had an issue. Go to the gym and workout a little..... Fished 8 hours with one and had no issues, didn't notice the weight at all.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 04:11 AM   #11
basshunter21

^^^Lmao, ya ive never really understood people when they talk about how heavy/light a rod is. I dont think the weight of a rod would factor in on my choice. But then again im pretty ignorant towards rods and specifications of them.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 08:15 AM   #12
walkeraviator

yeah.. its like the guysi play guitar with who wont play Les Pauls cuz they claim they are too heavy... get over it and get some tone is what i always tell em
Old 08-04-10, 09:10 AM   #13
lilmule

Default yes

Light and a good feel,many break mine did,customer relations and warr an issue yes,got tired of their bs had it repaired locally for less money.
And its stonger now,my med hvy is good dor a 4 lber back in the pads thats anbout it,a 6 I want on my heavy action kistler.
So tend to use it on the outside edges,possibly a hevy action would have been better as theirs feels a tad light for a medhvy.
I have a shimano med hvy that does work back in it,at least better than it.Got mine at dealers cost alomost for 100 bucks,and no dont want another.For 100 bucks they shouldnt break on a hookset or a cast ,not mine anyway.Mine broke on a powercast ,with less than rod recommended max weight.
So mixed results like the feel but dont like the broken rods,or the companies replacement policy and timely returning inquiries,2 months later they get back to you.(and you wont like the results)
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 04:02 AM   #14
Backwater Charlie

Pflueger President 6730.
7'2 ML Carrot Stix.
6lb Seaguar InvisX.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.