Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-10, 11:28 AM   #1
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Mikekw3
Default I need help!

Is it possible to skip a bait like a frog or a jig across the water, like under docks and what not with a bait casting reel? I have never seen it done before and every time i try i get a huge birds nest...
Mikekw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 11:32 AM   #2
Krtismo
BassFishin.Com Member

The birds nest is caused by the lure slowing down when it touches the water, but the spool doesn't slowdown.

I'm sure its possible, but I think that might be a technique better suited for a spinning setup.
Krtismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 11:39 AM   #3
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Practice ...right reel ajustments ... Proper thumb work...and practice! With all that said you could problay flip or pitch under there to. But a spinning reel is ideal.
Old 08-12-10, 11:43 AM   #4
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It is possible, yes. I've done it a few times, not often, and a couple of times it was on accident.
Old 08-12-10, 01:45 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yeah it's possible to do, but it is difficult. Just takes a lot of practice and patience. The biggest thing is the setup of the reel, need to have the brakes tight enough that it helps keep you from getting a backlash but also loose enough to allow you to get enough velocity on the cast to allow it to skip. If you will make a long cast and then put a piece of tape across the spool of line and then reel back over the tape then when you get a backlash it won't go any deeper in the spool than the tape, this will help you alot when learning this technique.
Old 08-12-10, 02:24 PM   #6
CamG

Very tough to do, but it can be done. This is one of those techniques that I'd love to spend more time on to get down to a science, but just haven't. I've got it down to a backlash every three of four casts but that doesn't really cut it.

The key is to not try to skip it like you do with a spinning rod. It's more of a long, drawn out sidearm pitch. The key is to not really "skip" the bait, but to "skim" it across the surface.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 02:39 PM   #7
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Very tough to do, but it can be done. This is one of those techniques that I'd love to spend more time on to get down to a science, but just haven't. I've got it down to a backlash every three of four casts but that doesn't really cut it.

The key is to not try to skip it like you do with a spinning rod. It's more of a long, drawn out sidearm pitch. The key is to not really "skip" the bait, but to "skim" it across the surface.
Cam has it right. It's much different than skipping with a spinning reel. You'll almost always end up with a backlash trying to skip it. Instead, you want to keep the bait as low to the water as possible without making contact. That way if it does touch the water it's likely to just skim across it as Cam described. Boat positioning is just as important a factor in this as your reel setup. If you're too close to your target, it's hard to skim the bait over the water. If you're too far then most often you'll overshoot your target either on top of the dock or right into that overhanging tree. Like all things, practice makes perfect.
Old 08-12-10, 04:56 PM   #8
3dkicker

Beside having the reel set correctly the type of jig you use is also critical for beginners. You really need a jig with a flat bottom. Also the trailer needs to be rigged so that it doesn't spin or twist when it comes in contact with the water.

If you get the right jig and set the brakes correctly then a two handed side arm cast slinging the bait is the way to go. Once you get the hang of it and practice quite a bit you'll be alright. Also having a wrapped rod might give you a little advantage in this technique.
Old 08-13-10, 12:58 AM   #9
Rebbasser

Yep, it can be done.. Just takes practice. Not easy, but doable.
Old 08-13-10, 07:02 PM   #10
bamabassman

here is somehtng that might be easier for oyu buddy. try using a spinning reel to skip it.
Old 08-14-10, 11:36 AM   #11
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Where I live there are a lot of overhanging cedars along the shoreline. The secret to casting under or skipping under them is to throw hard, low to the water and stop the spool with your thumb. No amount of reel adjustment will do the trick.
As has been said already...practice, practice, practice.
Garry2rs
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-10, 09:44 PM   #12
Cavs1123

I can see a frog might work pretty good and I have gotten pretty good at skipping a Senko. I dont know about the jig though. I wouldnt try it with a spinnerbait though
Old 08-15-10, 03:27 AM   #13
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post

That's how I do it, but I need something at least 4' off the water not to get nested up. I prefer a spinner.
Old 08-24-10, 02:21 PM   #14
screwballl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krtismo View Post
The birds nest is caused by the lure slowing down when it touches the water, but the spool doesn't slowdown.

I'm sure its possible, but I think that might be a technique better suited for a spinning setup.
I've done it some with my spinning reel.... haven't used a baitcaster enough to have anything mastered...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.