Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-10, 06:45 PM   #1
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Treble hooks on crankbaits...

Are they really necessary? I can think of some single and double frog style hooks I'd like to try. Would that screw with the action, or just cause more missed hook sets?
Old 08-27-10, 11:52 PM   #2
DJ_Callahan_27
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a buddy that changes all his trebles to Owner straight shank worm hooks and swears that he has better hook up ratios and next to never loses a fish. The trick to doing this is to make sure that the belly hook is placed on the split ring so that the point of the hook is facing down on the bait. Rear hook doesn't matter but he trys to keep it facing up.
DJ
DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 12:17 AM   #3
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Callahan_27 View Post
I have a buddy that changes all his trebles to Owner straight shank worm hooks and swears that he has better hook up ratios and next to never loses a fish. The trick to doing this is to make sure that the belly hook is placed on the split ring so that the point of the hook is facing down on the bait. Rear hook doesn't matter but he trys to keep it facing up.
DJ
Thanks DJ!

I drew (poorly), a diagram to make sure I understand just what you meant. Does he rig it like #1 or #2?

And do you know the size hooks he uses?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	5725  
Old 08-28-10, 12:35 AM   #4
DJ_Callahan_27

drawing #1 and I'm unsure of hook size. I would think most likely a 1/0 or 2/0 but that is just a guess. Hope that helps you. If you decide to try it let me know how you do with it and if you think it improves hookups and landed fish. I have thought of trying it but haven't talked myself into it yet.

DJ
Old 08-28-10, 12:43 AM   #5
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
drawing #1 and I'm unsure of hook size. I would think most likely a 1/0 or 2/0 but that is just a guess. Hope that helps you. If you decide to try it let me know how you do with it and if you think it improves hookups and landed fish. I have thought of trying it but haven't talked myself into it yet.

DJ
I think I am going to try it tomorrow. I'll let you know.
Old 08-28-10, 01:10 AM   #6
DJ_Callahan_27

If I get a chance to throw any crankbaits tomorrow I will try it to and we can compare notes. I have only traded out the hooks on one crankbait so far and it is a shad color and the water is going to be alittle stained tomorrow so I don't know if I'll get to use it but I may change out a coulpe more on the lake.

DJ
Old 08-28-10, 02:13 AM   #7
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
If I get a chance to throw any crankbaits tomorrow I will try it to and we can compare notes. I have only traded out the hooks on one crankbait so far and it is a shad color and the water is going to be alittle stained tomorrow so I don't know if I'll get to use it but I may change out a coulpe more on the lake.

DJ
I have been busy, and have changed out the hooks on my favorite two lipless cranks with straight shanks, one of my favorite cranks with straight J's, as well as one of my jerkbaits. I also refitted a jerkbait with frog hooks.
Old 08-28-10, 10:06 AM   #8
CamG

Switching to single hooks on crankbaits was a fad in my club years ago. Guys were switching out rear trebles with straight spinner bait hooks. I too tried it, but to be honest I missed more fish that I caught. Having a single hook on a crankbait is not optimal because the fish has to hit it from the correct angle to get a hook. A glancing blow won't hook them.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 12:15 PM   #9
HarveysMinnow

Default Hooking potential

Once again, let's look at this from the fish's perspective: He sees the crank bait and it either looks appetizing or it angers him by swimming through his territory. He decides to suck it in. In the next second, or fraction of a second, the Bass decides if he will keep it or reject it.

Now let's consider what I call "the zone of hooking potential". With a treble hook, this zone is sort of teardrop shaped, whereas for a straight shanked hook this zone is flatter and has less volume.

Now, during that second or fraction of second that the crankbait is in Mr. Bass' mouth, at least two things are happening: 1. The bass feels the hooks and decides to reject your bait. 2. You feel the strike and react.

It seems to me that two opposing factors come into play at this point. Since the treble hook zone has greater volume, the bass might feel the hooks a little more quickly. But this larger "zone of hooking potential" works in favor of the fisherman, if he can react fast enough, because no matter how a treble hook is turned, one prong has a good chance of hooking the fish's lip.

My conclusion: If you are quick enough on the draw, a treble hook is probably better. If you are slower, the single straight hook might be in your favor, because the Bass may take a fraction longer to feel and recognize the flat hook before he spits out your bait.
Old 08-28-10, 04:40 PM   #10
mike234

I replace the hooks with Owner treble hooks. #4on the front and #2 on the rear. It seems to help my hookups.

Last edited by mike234; 08-28-10 at 04:48 PM.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 09:52 PM   #11
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
I replace the hooks with Owner treble hooks. #4on the front and #2 on the rear. It seems to help my hookups.
My problem is not hook up ratios, it's the fear of a thrashing fish hooking me, and to a certain extent, curiosity.

At any rate, I gave it a shot. I didn't get any hits, but the actions seemed unaffected. however, I had some issues with the hooks catching each other under the lures. Only on the lipless cranks though.

I've decided to switch back, except for one crankbait, a shallow bandit. I will update if I get any hits on it.
Old 08-28-10, 11:09 PM   #12
DJ_Callahan_27

I went today but didn't catch any on a crankbait. I got a late start and didn't get my boat in the water until after 6 pm. The water was pretty stained (about a foot of vis.). I don't do very well in stained water most of the time. I can't seem to figure out what lure and color combo to use. I think I spent to much time trying to force feed them a crankbait seeing as how I didn't get to fish but a couple of hours. The only keep I caught was right before hard dark on a buzzbait. But a fat 18" pot belly largemouth isn't a bad way to end the day.

DJ
Old 08-30-10, 02:01 AM   #13
BassFeverJohn

I am calling this experiment a failure. There were just too many issues. I have switched all the lures I changed over back to trebs, however I intend, at least at this point, to try a few with frog hooks later on. I think they should preform more like trebs, but still be less likely to hook me. We shall see.
Old 08-30-10, 08:26 PM   #14
DJ_Callahan_27

Sorry, I was no help in this experiment. I went back to the lake yesterday morning a fished alittle over 8 hours and never got a bite on a crankbait. Did manage to caught a few on other bait. Nothing to brag about though, 6 keepers the biggest was 15.5 inches. Considering that I have never been any good at fishing in stained water I shouldn't complain to much I don't guess. Agian, sorry I wasn't much help. Didn't have alot of confidence in the whole single hook concept to start with.

On a side note, my buddy still swears by it and says he will always change out his trebles. Go figure.

DJ

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.