Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-07, 06:53 AM   #1
bfd300
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default gloomis or st croix

which is better and are they really worth the money.
like the g2's and avids............i cant afford their top of the line stuff...maybe the next model down.

what's your opinions?

otto
bfd300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 08:36 AM   #2
Recon8541

I do not own a st croix, but I do own several loomis rods. I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed with loomis.
Old 03-31-07, 09:33 AM   #3
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I own and use Avids, an AC66MHF and three AC69MLXF. I consider them to be Rolls-Royce rods at a Cadillac price, but there are countless great rods on the market, including the Loomis line.
Some fine rods are relatively uncommon, so far as name recognition and popularity are concerned, but they are there nonetheless.
You might investigate the Kistler, upper-tier American Rodsmiths, Falcon Cara and Expert, Shimano Crucial, upper-range AllStar, Airrus, and so on...the entire list of great rods would fill a book.
For my part, I've been delighted with the Avids, Team AllStars, Kistler, and Falcon Lowriders I own and use, so well as a few other brands and models that have performed well. I DO own a Loomis...a 9' fly rod.

Good luck in your search!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 10:57 AM   #4
crankybait

My Avid is amazing. Nobody in their right mind wouldn't like it.
Old 03-31-07, 01:26 PM   #5
crab

I own both G-Loomis and St. Croix and love them both, I do own 4 shimano clarus rods at 60 bucks and lifetime warranty you cant beat them.
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 06:37 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
I DO own a Loomis...a 9' fly rod.
i'll be damned fly rod owns a fly swatter.-like i got room to talk -i only have 8 fly swatters..

i have alot of fenwick rods i have a few others lews,airrus,orvis,loomis,kristler.. they all have there place..loomis are over rated and WAY over priced.. the airrus and krisler are both better and cost less..

zooker
Old 03-31-07, 07:24 PM   #7
bfd300

the loomis g2's are over priced?......i saw it for $140......the kistlers were over $200. the st croix avid's are around $170.
all of my rods in my aresenal were around 40-50 bucks.......i want to get a higher end rod. guys are work brag about the loomis and st croix.....comfused..
thanks for your help everyone..........i found a local shop that carries both..i'll go check em out.

otto
Old 03-31-07, 09:00 PM   #8
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd300 View Post
the loomis g2's are over priced?......i saw it for $140......the kistlers were over $200. the st croix avid's are around $170.
all of my rods in my aresenal were around 40-50 bucks.......i want to get a higher end rod. guys are work brag about the loomis and st croix.....comfused..
thanks for your help everyone..........i found a local shop that carries both..i'll go check em out.

otto
Otteau,

Just because a given model of Loomis is less expensive than a totally different rod from another doesn't mean the latter is overpriced. I believe the Loomis G2 is probably worth every penny BUT...I consider the AVID to be worth the difference in price as well. IMHO, y'see, the AVID is actually "more rod" than the price might indicate, and "more" rod than the G2.
There is one thing you'd need to consider carefully...the grip on the AVID casting rods is contoured and you'll need to fondle one for several minutes to see of that particular feature suits you.
My arsenal features rods with/without contoured grips and, while I'm at ease with both straight and contoured grips I find the AVID grip to be less likely to cause cramping with prolonged use. It is also a sort of therapy to pick one up after using a straight grip rod for a lengthy period.
If you have a small hand/short fingers, etc., you'll need to assess whether the contoured grip might be too thick at it's thickest point. If you have a rather large hand you'll very likely love the AVID grip.
Believe me, while there are rods out there that perform well over what their price might indicate, you will definitely note the superiority of AVIDs and some others in the same price range over what you are using now.
Lightness, sensitivity, the guides (both as to quality and number), and casting performance will soon convince you that upgrading your rod arsenal was a wise choice.
Were I in your shoes, I'd upgrade my "slow fishing" (worm, jig, Senko, shaky head, dropshot, etc., starting with the one you use most, technique-wise.) rods first. This is where sensitivity is paramount...where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. Then, as time and $$$ permitted, I'd upgrade my "rapid fire" rods, seeking increased sensitivity as well, but also a reduction in the fatigues factor. For cranking and spinnerbaiting, for example, a cheaper rod with a high glass to graphite ratio, is not only heavier in weight, but imparts a sort of "recoil" on the cast AND takes more "ooomph" to achieve distance when compared to a rod with a higher graphite content. All this tires you more quickly and can really result in a badly cramped hand and wrist.
Be both patient and curious, grasshopper, and you will soon be a happier and more efficient fisherman.

FR

Last edited by FlyRod; 04-01-07 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-31-07, 10:18 PM   #9
bfd300

thanks flyrod........that was a very infomative post........i am leaning toward the avids after reading posts from another site..........i think the thing to do is go and put each in my hand and go from there.

otto
Old 04-01-07, 07:24 PM   #10
lizardsrule

I have both, and love both, and also the top of the line in both. However I would have to lean towards ST Croix.

Lizards
Old 04-02-07, 08:58 AM   #11
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

i say go and put one of each in your hand....feel it out.....only you yourself can make the decision on it's worthiness of your own expectations.....there are alot of great rods out there.....i don't own a st croix...but bet does.....i don't see him fish with that too often....he's more of an airrus man .....we both have gloomis rods ...i love mine...i have a shimano crucial that i use my shimano mg50 on....talk about fishing all day and never feeling it in the wrist.....that's the rig i have.....weighs about 7- 10 ounces ....it's sweet......i say go feel em....then make your mind up......good luck......
Old 04-02-07, 05:19 PM   #12
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
My Avid is amazing. Nobody in their right mind wouldn't like it.
I hate the handle and I´m in my right mind.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 08:34 PM   #13
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
I hate the handle and I´m in my right mind.

Got a Doctor's note to prove that LOL.

Lizards
Old 04-03-07, 08:23 PM   #14
revrat
BassFishin.Com Member

If you're looking between an Avid and A GL2, I would go with the Avid. I have a bunch of IMX Loomis rods, and would not part with them for anything, but the GL2 is not anywhere near the rod that the IMX, or even the GL3 is. For only a few bucks more the Avid is every bit as nice as a GL3 Loomis. They are a great bargain if you like that countoured handle. If you want a straight handle on another dynamite choice at the same price(maybe lower) as the Avid, look at the Shimano Crucial casting rods. They are oh so sweet for $130-$140.
revrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 07:09 AM   #15
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I own Loomis and love it. I've never used a St Croix, so I can't really compare. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 10:51 PM   #16
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I never owned a St. Croix, but I do believe they may be the best on the market. My G-loomis is my favorite rod, very high quality. I'm leaning toward getting a Kistler next.
Old 04-10-07, 06:45 AM   #17
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
I´m in my right mind.
That's the first sign of trouble...denial.
Sad, so sad.

FR
Old 04-10-07, 10:40 AM   #18
thebus71h

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

Somewhat off Topic, but ESOX rods seem to be really good if you're willing to pay for it. Very light weight, and rigid but flexible all at the same time, really great rods. Do I have one... no. I'm broke. But my father in law has one, and I've thrown it a few times, and boy is it sensitive, best rod I've ever felt, and he does have some Falcon's, and G-Loomis.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.