Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-11, 04:08 PM   #1
BassinMic
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New to the forum, looking for rod opinions

Hi guys, just registered on the site although i've been browsing it since the Classic. Its nice to find a good group of people talkin fishing like this. I'm looking for opinions on rods. I've been around a few forums enough to know many get bombarded with questions like "What rod should I get?". But that is my question.
I've been looking to get a new rod in the $100-120 range. Looking to use it to primarily throw cranks/lipless. Just looking for a few opinions. Is it better if I were to get a 7' or 7'4 rod? Two rods I was looking at were the Falcon BuCoo and the Lamiglas Excel. I've mainly just used BPS brand until now, I'm satisfied but just looking to branch out a little. Also I was curious about the new Smoke rods. Haven't really talked to anyone that's used them yet. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all in the upcoming fishing season!!
BassinMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 04:18 PM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Honestly don't think you can buy a better rod than the Falcon Bucoo in that price range.

Also just noticed you asked about length. For me, the perfect all round crankbait rod is a graphite, M, MF, 7'. I have one cranking stick that is 7'6" and I still have not got used to it.

Last edited by CamG; 03-11-11 at 04:43 PM.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 04:29 PM   #3
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Best crankin stick there is IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	duck.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	6354  
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 06:03 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

plus 1 on the micro ducketts. just not a fan of split grips.
Old 03-11-11, 06:22 PM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I don't know where he could get a Duckett for 100-120?
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 06:25 PM   #6
bamabassman

good point.........sorry.
Old 03-11-11, 06:50 PM   #7
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just picked up the 6'6" Med/Med Shimano Compre TC4 for $99.99 with $20 mail in rebate. They have a 7' also. Will be testing out next weekend but I like what I've seen so far. The older model Quantum KVD is also a sweet rod for crankbaits too. Don't pass that one up for $79-85.

Rod length is up to your preferences. I like the 6'6" rods myself. I have one shorter rod, custom 5'10", that I use specifically for tossing crankbaits up under docks and in real tight spaces.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 03-11-11 at 07:01 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 06:54 PM   #8
Justin2729

used..ebay he could and for 30$ more there worth it. oh and there is the Abu Garcia Veritas Rods i love them got 5 of em.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 10:09 PM   #9
bassboogieman

This is the rod I use. It orginally retailed for $199, for $80 new w/tags you WILL NOT find better. It's a graphite rod, designed specifically for crankbaits. It will throw a 1/2 trap far enough to just about spool a narrow reel. I use a wide spool on mine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KISTLER-ARGON-AF...item483e0a2066
I have 4 of the Argon crankbait rods, paid considerably more than their current price, and I would NOT sell mine used for this price. You can pay more or similiar but you will not get as good a stick for your money. I've also purchased rods from this seller and he is top notch to deal with.
Should you prefer a shorter rod, look at this one. Same crankbait series, and I have a couple of these. Very good for shallow/medium divers and will also do very well with traps. http://cgi.ebay.com/KISTLER-ARGON-AF...item2eb1e51a76
ONLY NEGATIVE - this rod has been discontinued, availability is shrinking and Kistler WILL NOT warranty this line of rod. I've used 4 Argons for two years with no issues and would not hesitate to buy one, even without the warranty. Basically the Argon is very similiar to the pre-2009 LTA, with a slightly thicker (stronger) blank. Excellent stick, darn shame it was sacrificed.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-12-11 at 06:16 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 10:22 PM   #10
MIbasser

Take a look at Powell rods www.powellco.com (704CB). I had a question on a rod from them so I sent an e-mail and I had a phone call and an e-mail from the PRESIDENT/CEO (Keith) in about an hour. You talk about customer service. The rods sell for $139, so just a little over budget - but with CS like that, any new rod I buy will be a Powell.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 10:50 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Take a look at Powell rods www.powellco.com (704CB). I had a question on a rod from them so I sent an e-mail and I had a phone call and an e-mail from the PRESIDENT/CEO (Keith) in about an hour. You talk about customer service. The rods sell for $139, so just a little over budget - but with CS like that, any new rod I buy will be a Powell.
For a little more than you'd like spend, I agree that Powell Rods is probably the way to go.

For a bit more than the Powell you could get yourself a Dobyns Savvy.

But in the $100 range, the Falcon Bucoo, Lamiglas Excel, Abu Garcia Veritas or Verdict, and a BPS Carbonlite Micro (I hate the guides on the regular version) would be my top choices.

BB
Old 03-12-11, 07:42 AM   #12
keithdog

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. Last year I purchased a StCroix Premier fiberglas Crankbait rod, 7'0" MH/MOD and I absolutely love the rod. It's sells for $119.99 at BPS. There are 4 versions of the Premier Crankbait rod to choose from. The 7'0" M/MOD may be another choice you want to consider. But for ripping lipless granks from grass I'd think you would want the MH version. AND Welcome to the forums!!!
Old 03-12-11, 09:40 AM   #13
rrw4258

I'll throw in my .2 cents worth as well...

Take a look at the Quantum KVD Signature Series Rods... They have casting and crankbaits rods. The rods feature an ACS reel seat and the HSX62 blank, which is the same as the Tour Edition Rods. I have several and I really like them, the balance is pretty good with them. Price is $80.

http://www.basspro.com/Quantum-Kevin...10411/-1760028

http://www.basspro.com/Quantum-Kevin...10409/-1760026

Ryan
Old 03-12-11, 09:49 AM   #14
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Welcome to the site BassinMic!

One thing to remember...this time of year, you can get a more expensive rod on sale, in your price range. Not saying more money equals better rod, mind you...but if there are some you've had your eye on, that are too much money, browse for sales.

BPS, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Tackle Warehouse, even Ebay can yield some big savings.
Old 03-12-11, 12:29 PM   #15
BassinMic
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks a ton for the input guys. I might have to go out of my price range. You know how that goes, why stop at $120 when $150 isn't much more. Same dilema every spring though. Just can't wait to get out on the water.
BassinMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 02:06 PM   #16
Bassboss

I was gonna suggest looking at the Abu Garcia rods at tackle warehouse cause they have $25 mail-in-rebate. Making the Vendetta $50, the Veritas $75, and the verdict $105. But the Kistler Argon's for 80 bucks down from 200 is an absolute steal IMO. I hate to suggest any of those rods because I've never used 'em, just pointing out good deals on products with a good reputation really.

Personally, I would probably go with a 7'3" / 7'4", MH if you're using deep divers. MH is also good for lipless cranks if you're fishing around weeds, makes it easy to the them out of grass, and get a decent hookset.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-15-11, 03:50 PM   #17
fish4942

Hold everything! Get yourself down to your closest Bass Pro Shops and get the Carbonlite. My BPS has them on sale for $70.00. Don’t ask any further questions and wonder how a $70.00 rod can compare to some of the others mentioned above, just do it!
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 04:46 PM   #18
coyute
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. Last year I purchased a StCroix Premier fiberglas Crankbait rod, 7'0" MH/MOD and I absolutely love the rod. It's sells for $119.99 at BPS. There are 4 versions of the Premier Crankbait rod to choose from. The 7'0" M/MOD may be another choice you want to consider. But for ripping lipless granks from grass I'd think you would want the MH version. AND Welcome to the forums!!!
I concur. Great cranking stick for the price! I went with the 7'-0" M Mod and it has served me very well. I really like the feel when yo-yoing traps.
coyute is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.