Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-06, 03:13 PM   #1
Rat-L-Trapper
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to Rat-L-Trapper Send a message via Yahoo to Rat-L-Trapper
Default What was my mistake?

Ok, went fishin Saturday afternoon for about six hours. I was using a 6'0 ML action ugly stick with Fireline 10lb test, and a 1/8 oz rat-l-trap, a twin ugly stick with same line, on a strike king top water buzz, and a daiwa procaster ML action rod with 10 lb test cajun line and a 1/4 oz rat-l-trap. Usually when it was as nice as it was I always have a great day fishin. The weather was around 75-80 degrees water was merkey and the fish were juming. I was bank fishin in an area with fair cover with submerged trees and stumps and a decent amount of moss. I didn't even get a hit. I finally got so bored I got anoher rod from the car and through on some nightcrawlers and a bobber, and if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have even caught the ONE bluegill. Any suggestions?
Rat-L-Trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 03:28 PM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

you should have tried more lures. i bank fish alot and have exellent success with plastic worms on t-rigs,dropshots,splitshots,c-rigs,and weightless rigs.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 07:03 PM   #3
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I went fishing Friday - blue skies and 80+. I used a spinner (early when a few clouds were still around), a fluke, a tiki stick, a ratltrap, and a chartreuse crank. I caught one on a fluke, two on tikis, and two on a crank. All five were about 1.5 lbs. I saw some nice sized bass (4+lbs) making beds, but they wouldn't hit anything. Sounds like you would have been better off trying something a little more subtle like Skeeter suggests. That is what seemed to work best for me.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 07:18 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I usually put on some good polorized shades and start looking for fish, and what they are doing. I'd say its a depth issue, not a lure selection, plus remember, fish don't eat all the time, you can put lure in front of most species, and if they aren't in a eating mood, forget 'bout it!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-06, 08:19 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Hmmm Wonder Why Kicker Hasnt Posted Yet On This One.
Old 04-18-06, 08:42 AM   #6
duckdummy
BassFishin.Com Member

i put alot of faith in those scented plastic baits, i dont use weight much, just go to a bigger hook size, or smaller to controll rate of sink. and fish em slow. some platics float and have a neutal bouyancy with just a hook alone and work great being twitched on the surface.
duckdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-06, 03:56 PM   #7
HulaPopr

I'd say you should've tried working the water column from top to bottom. Try a t-rig worm, cause apparently they wouldn't hit anything in the hig to mid water section.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.