Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-08, 10:50 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Potomac

Club did a two day, best day counts, afternoon/evening tournament this weekend. Yesterday I took Capt. Mike's advice and went back, way back and fished as skinny as I could in the pads in the back of a creek. On my way I ran into a guy who was leaving with 15lbs in the well...... So we ended up with 2 keepers, nice fish and all but still not what I was looking for. Fished out and I picked up another keeper a little over 2lbs. Not too bad but not what I was hoping for. Ran down to another creek and hit the grass beds and edges. Got a couple bites, missed one or two, and got my limit and culled with a nice 3lb bass. Total weight 10.5 lbs and 2nd place - it ain't over yet. Leader had 17+ . He caught his in the back of a creek off of pads!!!

Okay. Not the best night, not bad but I've got better places to fish today. Head into another feeder creek. Catch first fish on Horney Toad and everything is nice! Working a channel edge and put another keeper into the boat on the Zoom worm and we start hearing rumbling off in the distance no!!! not now!!! Yep, a thunderstorm was coming our way. Pull up to the bank and hook up with a 3lb chunk right before the storm hits. now I'm hot because I've got big fish feeding and the lightning is just everywhere. Got out of the boat and got poured on for about 45 minutes. Jumped back in the boat and finished off a limit. Working my way out, we've got a really high tide, I'm throwing the toad again. I'm working it down a laydown, I pause, and a bass sucks it down and turns. I set the hook and my braid pops. What??? No way!!!! So I re-rig another toad and we drift out a little. I hop back on the TM and grab my Zoom Mag II Melon/Red and flip it back on the laydown. Sure enough the fish is still there. In the boat and cull one of my small fish. Got one more on the worm on a laydown and off we go to a big grass bed. Cull twice more on a floating worm and spinnerbait. I finish off the day with 12.2 lbs. No big fish though but still a nice bag of fish. Finish the tournamet, 30 plus contestants, in 4th place. Some nice fish were weighed today with a bunch of 4's, a 5, and one 6.
Here's a couple pics. One is way, way back and the other two are culled fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	080726_131133.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	2503   Click image for larger version

Name:	080727_182404.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	2504   Click image for larger version

Name:	080727_184104.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	2505  
Old 07-28-08, 12:09 PM   #2
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Good job 3D! That's a tight looking feeder creek in the first pic. Congrats on a good finish!!
Old 07-28-08, 03:55 PM   #3
3dkicker

These tournaments aren't about prize $ but are used to raise $$ for the kids derbies we hold every year. But don't you hate it when you finish out of the money by .1 lbs? Yep, missed the money by that much. Scale was on 12.3 a couple times but the TD wouldn't give it to me.
The feeder was just wide enough for me to turn my 18' Bug Boat around. Had to put the motor down and turn it slightly to do so too.
Old 07-28-08, 03:59 PM   #4
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i'd take 12.2 anytime. heck that would win the money as tough as our clubs bite has been in these dog days. congrats on the good day!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 04:16 PM   #5
3dkicker

I guess I'm a little spoiled fishing on the river all the time. 12lbs is a nice bag of fish. It's also nice especially if you can do it two or three days in a row in a money tournament. 24 or 36lbs will make the cut most of the time. But on the river these days 12lbs really doesn't get you anywhere close to the leaders in a one day. You've got to have 15+ to be in the money and over 20 to win.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.