Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-11, 08:38 PM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Nissan Leaf Review

Today I had the pleasure driving the Leaf and I must admit it is nice. 33k nice I am not sure.

It is a very nice automobile and this is what I learned.
The battery pak is series of smaller phone book sized batteries and a computer will isolate and notify you if one fails. It comes with a 8 year or 100k miles full warrenty.. front to back coverage.

Tires are not covered.

The motor is liquid cooled and has a small raditor/AC heat exchanger. It has a normal motor battery as well. The solor panel on the rear spooler charges it. It is the electronic startup battery and is also charged via trickle from regenerative brakes.

It has a pre warm or cool down program that runs from your cell phone or can be programmed from your computer. The idea is the car 20 minutes before you head out will be tosty warm or cool when you jump in it. That runs off the charging station.

This feature will give you 20 more miles of drive time. It is called WINGS.

It is fast and will bury in the seat on quick second. I smoked the tires.

It has a low center of gravity and feels very firm at 40 mph hair pin turns.

My rep was a bit excited from my testing. A PG cop was interested in testing as well and followed me back to the closed track.

The charging station is 110 or 240 and snow rain and sleet proof.

Charges on 110 in 14 hours/ 4 hours on 240 / and if a fast charge is available 40 minutes.

The fast charge will be available at EV stations when they are built.

cost per gallon translation for home charge is 11 cents a gallon.

Not bad for 100 range.

If and when the EV Stations come to fruition it will be the car to have for commuters.

Capt Mike
Old 03-18-11, 09:04 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm glad you enjoyed your drive, Mike.

I thought I'd throw my two cents in though.

"Not 33k nice". More like $41,500, since the taxpayers will be picking up $8,500 in tax rebates for every one of these sold. These cars do not pay for themselves.....other people pay for them. If everybody drives one, all of a sudden people get to pay full cost. Not such a good deal.

I agree, an electric drive car can accelerate like nobody's business. Electric motors can develop HUGE torque compared to engines. That sounds fun, though I just can't imagine drag racing would be very cool if it were silent.

As for the electric cost...I'm not sure the math is correct on that. See, a kilowatt-hour of electrical energy costs around 11 cents. So....if the Leaf does 50 mph, and gets 50 mpg doing it (The Nissan claim of 367 mpg is absolutely RIDICULOUS...they're not including the electrical power they consume, only the gas in the tank)....it means it's burning the equivalent of one gallon per hour. The EPA claims a gallon of gasoline is equivalent to 33.7 kwh. So, in it's two hours of operation (100 mile range), it has consumed roughly 67 kwh of energy.

To replenish that, for a 14 hour charge, it will draw power at a rate of 5kw.

For a 4 hour charge...16 kW. This is double what the average U.S. household currently draws.

The electrical grid in this country is simply not built to take that kind of load. It would take TRILLIONS of dollars in investment to beef it up to the level needed.

And the kicker? We aren't getting that kind of power from solar, kiddies. It can only come from your favorite planet killer, COAL. Wasn't the whole point of these greenmobiles to "save the Earth" by lowering our Carbon footprint?

Like I said, Mike...I'm glad you had fun, but I hope to God those cars never make a dent in the automotive market.

Besides....I could never even fit into one, so screw them.
Old 03-18-11, 09:11 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Actually, my bad, the Leaf is not a hybrid.....the Volt is.

Still, my other points are valid.
Old 03-18-11, 09:12 PM   #4
Captmikestarrett

It is suprizingly large in the cockpit.

I think if the EV Project gets going good it will be a good choice for some commutters.

Check out evproject.com

Capt Mike
Old 03-18-11, 09:15 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett

http://www.streetfire.net/video/worl...ter_163899.htm

Kinda kool too.

Capt Mike
Old 03-18-11, 09:19 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Charge me up if I was filthy rich...

Capt Mike
Old 03-18-11, 09:24 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Don't get me wrong....I love and admire the technology. Hybrid cars are wonders of Engineering...

I just detest the marketing arms of the companies and the lunatics on the far left who parrot the lies.
Old 03-19-11, 06:44 AM   #8
walkeraviator

I am with Bryce here. I believe that the idea is ok. But if you are trying to save the planet by buying a hybrid or EV, you are failing miserably. These cars hurt then environment worse than a Hummer before they even hit the showroom. Batteries are made from material mined in Canada, shipped by coal oil ship to Europe to be assembled, and then shipped again to Japan to be placed into the car. Then a big nasty coal oil burning ship brings it to us. And we burn coal power to charge batteries. If a person really cares, they will install solar panels on their garage to charge batteries... or better yet... buy a used Diesel and make your own bio-fuel.

Greenest way you can drive is burning BioDiesel in a used Jetta TDi.... First it goes back to the old "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" montra... You have prevented one more new car from being produced by reusing an old car, that eliminates some pollution. Then you recycle old cooking oil. And you are releasing very very few emissions from your fat burner.

But since modern greenies care more about image then their own beliefs, gybrids and EV's will continue to sell by the thousands.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 07:02 AM   #9
walkeraviator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk

lol
Old 03-19-11, 09:24 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post

Interesting Video. However, they were kind of ignoring the fact that hybrids are meant for city driving, not highway. Driving like they were, the electric motor does almost nothing.

As for the electric cars... when they can make them sound like a late 60's big block, I'll buy one!

BB
Old 03-19-11, 10:51 AM   #11
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Interesting Video. However, they were kind of ignoring the fact that hybrids are meant for city driving, not highway. Driving like they were, the electric motor does almost nothing.

As for the electric cars... when they can make them sound like a late 60's big block, I'll buy one!

BB
True on most hybrids but the Honda IMA does not. I have a civic Hybrid and it took 10.8 gallons to go from DC to Boston..

Mine is for the long hauls..

The sweet sound of a high lift cam and deep chest pounding exhaust note will be missed..

Gotta evolve or die...

Capt Mike
Old 03-19-11, 01:30 PM   #12
1/4 stick

NoFear... We could make a killing by designing some sort of sound system that emulates the motor noise as the car accelerates. Maybe even air-fresheners with that burnt exhaust smell!!
Old 03-19-11, 02:12 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Ironically, there have actually been preemptive lawsuits filed by blind activist groups, because of the reduced sound of electric cars. They maintain that a blind people can not hear them coming when trying to cross a street.

I hate to say it, but they do have a point.

The auto companies have considered adding sound to the cars. I'm going to go ahead and cast my vote for a Big Block Chevy. Heck, I'll even donate the audio recording of my 496 when I get it built.

I want to see a Leaf tubbed out with Mickey Thompson slicks on it.
Old 03-19-11, 02:43 PM   #14
walkeraviator

We will have flying cars and a cure for all blindness before you get that engine built.
Old 03-19-11, 04:09 PM   #15
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

"Not 33k nice". More like $41,500, since the taxpayers will be picking up $8,500 in tax rebates for every one of these sold. These cars do not pay for themselves.....other people pay for them. If everybody drives one, all of a sudden people get to pay full cost. Not such a good deal.
Would the same apply to the Chevy Volt? That would push its cost to nearly $50K. I am amazed at those prices.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 04:51 PM   #16
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i just got my mustang done complete with supercharger...im no where near ready for electric
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 05:40 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
i just got my mustang done complete with supercharger...im no where near ready for electric
I'm right there with you. Now that I have tasted 390hp (my truck) I want to feel what 650 feels like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator
We will have flying cars and a cure for all blindness before you get that engine built.
Now there's a good positive attitude LOL. I'd like to think I eventually complete most of my hair-brained projects. Unfortunately, the engine is going to cost me about $9,000 to build (you know me, I already have a parts list)...and I need to make up my stupid mind on what to put it in. God, I wish I still had my 52 Chevy truck. That would have been soooooo sweet.
Old 03-19-11, 07:26 PM   #18
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I'm right there with you. Now that I have tasted 390hp (my truck) I want to feel what 650 feels like.

its pretty nice...and thirsty
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 09:30 AM   #19
Bender

I agree completely with walkeraviator. I believe the best option at the present time is diesel/biodiesel. VW has even made a diesel hybrid that gets ~260MPG. When running 95% bio I only lose about 1-2 MPG, in my old Flex-Fuel truck when running E85 I lost about 20% economy.

And as far as that video, it makes a huge difference on how you drive. When my wife drives the TDI she gets 42-45 MPG but I get around 36-40. It is chipped, so it's hard for me to take it easy all the time.

I do like the idea of the Leaf, but it leads you to the problem of needing another car for longer trips. The Volt is a potential one-car solution but I think it is cost prohibitive at this time.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 11:11 PM   #20
roanokejim
BassFishin.Com Member

Hi Bender. The link about diesel hybrid really helps me a lot. You have a good information to share. Thanks a lot.
roanokejim is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.