Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-06, 07:56 PM   #1
striker23
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to striker23
Default lures getting snagged in trees

Well this has happened to me 3 times, ive lost 2 of the 3 lures, and i just couldnt find any way to get the lure out of the tree. eventually i gave up trying to get the line around and out of the tree so i just resorted to tugging on the line and hoping it holds and gets the lure out. does anyone know of any ways to get lures out of trees when they get stuck up there? I understand casting near trees isnt a good idea, but sometimes the best spot you want to reach is near a tree.
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-06, 08:01 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If you can catch the lure swinging just right when it first hits a limb you can time your pulling back sometimes just at the right moment before the lure starts swinging around and really gets hung.
Other than that I try to snap my line, but you usually have to go in and go get it.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-06, 09:05 PM   #3
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Please see best lure retrieval system thread.
Old 01-30-06, 09:08 PM   #4
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

as soon as it hits the tree yank it right back hard...really works most of the time...even in bushes.
Old 01-30-06, 10:05 PM   #5
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Tom is wise in the ways of keeping your lure from wrapping the line around a limb and tying it in a nice knot for you.
Old 01-30-06, 10:07 PM   #6
dodgeguy

if you use powerpro sometimes you can wrap the line around a flashlight and yank the branch down and break it off.that is unless you really went bird fishing and threw your lure way up in the tree.
Old 01-30-06, 10:28 PM   #7
bassinbob

Not only do I catch trees casting in front of me but also on the back cast as well. One method I employ is to yo-yo the lure a couple of times and then rip it. This seems to swing the bait over the branch. If it is behind me I just drop the lure down and cut the line. When it is hoplessly hung up I break it off hoping the lure falls where I can get to it.

Bob
Old 01-30-06, 10:40 PM   #8
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I make like a squirrel in the worst situations. I hate the eyesore as much as losing the money. How horrible is it to have your $5 lure hanging down laughing at you everytime you fish there? It's worse than being laughed at by anyone around you for making the effort, if you ask me.
Old 01-30-06, 11:35 PM   #9
striker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob
Not only do I catch trees casting in front of me but also on the back cast as well. One method I employ is to yo-yo the lure a couple of times and then rip it. This seems to swing the bait over the branch. If it is behind me I just drop the lure down and cut the line. When it is hoplessly hung up I break it off hoping the lure falls where I can get to it.

Bob
do you "yo-yo" it by giving the line some slack then quickly jerking it back so it wraps around the branch?
Old 01-31-06, 04:30 AM   #10
islandbass

The only thing I'll add to the tugging and the yanking is to take the rod out of the tugging equation, especially if you have 30 or lesser # braid. Heavy tugging increases the odds of line digging into the spool and exerting excessive force on the rod can potentially lead to snapping the rod.

To get around this, pull off enough line to work with and set the rod somewhere you won't accidentally step on it and proceed to work your lure free.

And one more thing... When you tug or pull hard, always do so with your arms on either side of your body as opposed to pulling directly in front of you. If you don't and the lure breaks free, it could be headed for straight toward your chest or worse, your face, eye or ear and you'd be like a deer in the headlights if you fail to dodge the lure.

If you are pulling to the side and the lure breaks free, it will come at you to either side and will not hit you, unless you move into it.

Fortunately, I have "ninja" reflexes and so I ain't never gotten snagged by flying trebles but realizing that pulling from the side is far safer has been a plus.
Old 01-31-06, 12:16 PM   #11
HuckFinn

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

When the yo yo doesn't work I use an ax.
Not only do I get my lure back, but I've just created a lay down as cover for the fish!
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 01:21 PM   #12
striker23

sounds like a win-win situation huck
Old 01-31-06, 05:24 PM   #13
bassinbob

When I yo-yo I hold the line in my hand and softly tug a couple of times and when I feel I have enough momentum I pull with my hand still holding the line. I always do this on the right side of my body to avoid getting hit with the lure. I don't have "ninja" reflexes but I do know that something coming straight towards me might hurt.

Bob
Old 01-31-06, 05:28 PM   #14
crankybait

depends on how far the tree is. try a lacrosse net. cut your line, and use then net to whack out then grab ur lure
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 10:55 AM   #15
fishininMich.
BassFishin.Com Member

i hate that when that happens. I do a lot of night fishing so that happens to me all the time. i have a tree trimmer that i use to cut the branch down. my trimmer goes up to 12 feet.
Old 02-02-06, 06:52 PM   #16
rrw4258

what kind of lure are you throwing? If it is a plastic worm or a jig try pitching or flipping it intp or around the trees/bushes. Thanks

Ryan
Old 02-02-06, 09:35 PM   #17
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
if you use powerpro sometimes you can wrap the line around a flashlight and yank the branch down and break it off.that is unless you really went bird fishing and threw your lure way up in the tree.
Using Powerpro, I change more hooks than I lose baits. As for the response about not using your rod, I would disagree with that. I use my rod, however there is no force put on it. I pull straight back, with the rod pointed at the hung up lure. Yes you can get hit, but if you aren't smart enough to pay attention while doing this, than you deserve to lose your lure. I have pulled up stumps, branches, and even pulled a sappling loose from the dirt with Powerpro. It saves a lot of money. I hold the spool, of either the baitcaster, or spinning reel from turing and pull. Yes it digs into the spool, so you have to pull it out again before casting, but it does that sometimes on hooksets or even weed clumps too.

Lizards
Old 02-02-06, 11:38 PM   #18
bass kicker

dodgeguy thats not funny i took one of my buddys out fishin and he had a bird bite his bait and he hasnt fished since
Old 02-03-06, 06:40 AM   #19
dodgeguy

my buddy caught a seagull in mid cast one time.we reeled it in and wrapped it up in a towel and got the bait out with a pliers.what a scene that was!!!
Old 02-03-06, 09:11 PM   #20
Skeeter

Quote:
as soon as it hits the tree yank it right back hard...really works most of the time...even in bushes.
and don't forget to duck....
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 11:47 AM   #21
striker23

my favorite "lucky" jig is still resting happily at the bottom of the potomac. that was one when it was stuck in the tree, so i yanked, and instead of coming to me , the line broke and the lure fell into the water. might that have turned out differently if i was using powerpro instead?

Last edited by striker23; 02-04-06 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-04-06, 11:58 AM   #22
crankybait

is it legal to dive down to the bottom of a lake and pick out snagged lures?
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 04:02 PM   #23
striker23

i dont think theres anything against that unless theres a lake with no swimming allowed. but usually if its no swimming its no fishing too. i dunno, would you really want to do that though? it would be easier to buy a new lure for a few bucks.
Old 02-04-06, 04:10 PM   #24
Fishing4Soup

i'd jump down and get it! My friend and i always take his snorkleing stuff and look around for lures...found a luckycraft lure once and lots of jigs/spinnerbaits
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 10:35 PM   #25
LubbockFisher
BassFishin.Com Member

dont know if anyone else keeps one in the boat but i do. A golf ball retreiver. They telescopt to about 20 feet and have a ring on the end.
LubbockFisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.