Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-06, 09:56 AM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default what kids like me do in free time...

im the king of wacky lures. the first one on top is a snowbait. i took snow, molded it around a paper clip, added a hook, and made it a lipless crankbait with eyes. i carved out stuff too. i tested one i made before. it lasts around 1 and a half minutes while be jerked under 40 degree water. and it has a slimy feel to it too... i may try using juices to make a colorful frozen bait. under that is the phatfarm crankbait which i made from a 25 cent chain and clay. under that is my first diving bait! pretty sick, eh?
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 01:16 PM   #2
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass
Lightbulb

Not at all buddy, every journey starts with the first step. I am not that old, that I can't remember some of my wild idea's that I spent time, money, and lots of effort on. Who knows, you could be the owner of a major bait company some day. As the "wild one" Icanelli says, never give up, especially on your dreams. That goes for you too futurpro.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 01:21 PM   #3
crankybait

id love to be the owner of a major bit company. my parentsw thnk thats ridiculous, and planned for me to be a doctor. so i guess ill just doctor for a few years, and use the earnings to make lures. ive got a bookful of ideas of lures im keeping until i can afford to make em. the ones i can do, i do. i have about 12 lying around my house. i definetely aint giving up fishing... after a year and only 3 fish, im stil going. but i predict a good season, ive spent all of winter tormenting people on forums with my questions lol
Old 02-17-06, 01:33 PM   #4
betursweetbass

Well, I can't speak for everyone of course, but I betcha most guys here love to give their opinions and don't consider multiple post "tormenting", it's good to see so many young guys and gals getting out and spending time outdoors as opposed to sitting in the house playin that ole ninetendo. PS..my favorite game of all time has to be Zelda....
Old 02-17-06, 01:35 PM   #5
crankybait

true that. although i have alread aannoyed the hell out of people with my posts on 2 forums and had to leave. i like this place, the people are much more friendly. and hey, what if your playing rapala pro fishing on Ps2? i tried all this morning and still couldnt beat the second tourney lol. aparently 20 pound test isnt strong enough for king salmon
Old 02-17-06, 01:51 PM   #6
betursweetbass

that's a question for the gaming forums i would imagine, I don't have a PS2, or Rapala Pro Fishing. I will admit to wasting a few hours of my life on FAR CRY though....smiles
Old 02-17-06, 01:56 PM   #7
crankybait

it is a good way to learn a bit if you cant go out and wet a line in real life. but i think ill makea nother topic about fishing videogames later. back to comments on the lrues
Old 02-17-06, 03:41 PM   #8
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Regardless of the product outcome, making lures gets your mind working, and its a innocent enough hobby. It sure beats getting into trouble.
I'd stick to the balsa wood crankbaits, go buy some homemade ones at a local tackle store, tear it apart and see how it is made, and then develope your own style using similiar techniques...ask for a air brush paint gun for birthday, balsa wood, paint hooks, hardware, etc....its a good hobby!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 06:39 PM   #9
crankybait

my birthday was on the 16th of january. i gotta wait another whole year. balsa wood crankbaits are too expensive. i checked on janns. the materials for 2 (lowest ammount sold at janns) would be around 90 bucks
Old 02-17-06, 06:50 PM   #10
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

I have a air brush, i plan on messin with it some day to see what i can do with it.
Old 02-17-06, 07:24 PM   #11
crankybait

airbrushes are expensive. but i just found a deal for a free set of acrylic paint im going to see if its true...
Old 02-17-06, 10:25 PM   #12
Christopherkeene9

got an airbrush for $5
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 11:47 PM   #13
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Cranky, are there any Meijer department stores up in your area? I got a whole set of model paints with an airbrush set there last winter because some days it's just too darned cold outside to fish, and I needed something to do. So I built models. But anyways, Testors is the company that made what I've got. They have everything you'd need for painting your lures, and they seem reasonably priced. Here's a link to their website: http://www.testors.com/
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 12:47 AM   #14
Bass Ackwards

Never let your dreams go Cranky.

JB that is the scariest clown to date. That one is like Circus Back Mountain
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 06:30 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Todays thoughts and dreams are tommorrows life...............and todays youth is tommorrows country leaders

I would rather see a younger person carving ice to make a lure of whatever than see a kid with his face glued to a keyboard or TV or doing drugs to ....pass the time away.
Old 02-18-06, 08:34 AM   #16
crankybait

eh i dunno. the airsprays are a bit on the expensive side for me. as it is, im going to have to dump 40 bucks into this project. another 40 bucks would kill me. and paints alone are like 5 dollars each. i need many colors to really get someting good going. how hard it is and how long it takes means nothing to me. as long as it can be done, ill do it. ive got 230 dollars for this fishing season, so what would the cheapest thing be? and works moderately... i dont want a stupid looking lure.
chris- got a link to the 5 dollar airbrush?
k-driz- there are no meijeurs, but we have a lowes and home-depot. im goint to lowes for the wood and steel wire, so i guess i can check there.

the main problem with this project is the paint. the other stuff except the bills is cheap. but 1 color for 5 bucks? and id need clear too... i was planning on using about 4 or 5 paints to add a really good effect to the lures. thats 25 dollars down the drain right there. plus i need new sandpaper...
Old 02-18-06, 09:09 AM   #17
crankybait

oh, and does anyone know of a strong, waterproof glue that is a gloss too and would work for these? i dont want to choose the wrong kind of glue. for now im thinking of mod podge
Old 02-18-06, 10:24 AM   #18
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait
id love to be the owner of a major bit company. my parentsw thnk thats ridiculous, and planned for me to be a doctor. so i guess ill just doctor for a few years, and use the earnings to make lures. ive got a bookful of ideas of lures im keeping until i can afford to make em. the ones i can do, i do. i have about 12 lying around my house. i definetely aint giving up fishing... after a year and only 3 fish, im stil going. but i predict a good season, ive spent all of winter tormenting people on forums with my questions lol
Haha and calling people for info.
Old 02-18-06, 10:26 AM   #19
crankybait

true dat man. anyways im off to finish a bit more of my popper
Old 02-18-06, 10:52 AM   #20
crankybait

ok, how lucky of me. i was watching basstech and they ahppened to be showing two college dudes who needed help saving cash. so the basstech guy showed them how to refurbish lures. not i know how to use an airbrush, spray cans... i really think i need an airbrush. im feeling this stuff. i think i can do it, and its worth it. its going to cost me half a budget, but hey im into this. i think ill get me an airbrush. total cash would be somewhere around 100 bucks. ouch. get ready to see some carved baits!
Old 02-18-06, 11:26 AM   #21
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Cranky when we talk on phone ask me how to use the airbrush and I will teach you
Old 02-18-06, 12:32 PM   #22
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Cranky...if you go to the Testors Enamel section under paint, they sell 1/4oz bottles for $1.49. Walmart also carries value packs of the enamels and flat paints with 9 colors in the enamel sets that have 8 different colors and a bottle of enamel thinner for about $10 I think.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 06:25 PM   #23
crankybait

ooh then i gtg to walmart asap. or i might get the one from the link above. looks sorta suspicious, so ill just show my mom and see what she says. and yeah ok ill ask you fish on. lemme add it to my list
Old 02-18-06, 06:58 PM   #24
crankybait

mom says those are ripoff trick deals. and she says theyre too expensive. even the 35 dollar kits! god she's such a cheapo. dont know if she would let me even buy the materials. ill see how this goes along...
Old 02-18-06, 07:57 PM   #25
bass kicker

check this site out it has free downloadable patterns for balsa wood carvings

www.luremaking.com

you can also order things from them to its agreat place i do a bit of business with them

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.