Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-06, 08:58 AM   #1
striker23
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to striker23
Default crawfish

where exactly are they found in the water? ive only seem them out of the water but i dont know what part of the water it would be good to fish a crawfish lure. also, the ones i see are about half the size of my hand, seems a little big for even a big bass to eat, so do bass only eat the smaller crawfishes? any help appreciated, thanks.
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 09:54 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

most of the time fish will feed on them on riprap(rocks) along the shoreline, or any body of water near the bank...some bodies of water have craws, others do not.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 10:23 AM   #3
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

You may want to try a bagley crawfish. The crawfish lure is about 5 inches long. I find crawfish on rocks and sand bottoms. Even if there are no crawfish jigs, tubes and other crawfish baits always seem to work.
Old 02-18-06, 03:10 PM   #4
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bass prefer crawfish over most other baits. I don't think (personnaly) that it matters if there are crawfish in the lake that you are fishing. The bass will still bite it.
Old 02-18-06, 04:26 PM   #5
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Bass will go for any size of crawdad big or small. Try out the YUM crawdads on Arkie weedless jigheads. Those work for me.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 04:36 PM   #6
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

I think crayfish can be found at any depts of the lake as long there is rock! I started out using berkley craws on a jig head, but I've played around with texas rigging them and carolina rigging them. They are very effective at any depth. If the water is fairly clear I try and use plastic crayfish that really looks like the real deal, Yum makes there craws really life like.
Old 02-19-06, 12:36 AM   #7
NCYankee

Never doubt the appetite of a largemouth. I caught this little guy on this craw jig.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 06:41 PM   #8
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

If given a choice of various sizes, bass will hit the smaller craws first, then the wounded craws having only one pincer, and finally will hit the larger craws...this is according to research done by Berkley I believe. Some also contend that a not so lifelike craw imitator such as a tube is more effective in catching bass than a very detailed representation. In thinking the other way, though, some go to the trouble of catching a few live ones to match the color and size.

Personally, I think you will have good luck either way, but I do recommend weighting as little as possible.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 08:05 PM   #9
bass kicker

you find crawfish anywhere near rock or wood and in canada the bass tend to eat the smaller ones IMO
Old 02-20-06, 08:55 PM   #10
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac3
If given a choice of various sizes, bass will hit the smaller craws first, then the wounded craws having only one pincer, and finally will hit the larger craws...this is according to research done by Berkley I believe. Some also contend that a not so lifelike craw imitator such as a tube is more effective in catching bass than a very detailed representation. In thinking the other way, though, some go to the trouble of catching a few live ones to match the color and size.

Personally, I think you will have good luck either way, but I do recommend weighting as little as possible.
Mac I beleive I read that article, but the thing that got me about it was, that they first started off using a whole crawdad. Then took off 1 pincer then the other. I'm guessing by the time they were used to the food, the hits just got to be automatic. I didn't do the reseach of course, just thought they should've tested it seperately on differnt fish, not one after the other. Kinda like the Pavlov's dog thing to me. Am I incorrect on this?

Lizards
Old 02-20-06, 08:57 PM   #11
bass kicker

the only crawfish bait i have had much luck with is a rebel craw
Old 02-21-06, 02:13 PM   #12
skeeter944

ncyankee,how long was that fish?it looked to me to be around 6or7''?
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 02:42 PM   #13
JB

We used to fish the black and blue 3 or 4 inch Power craw religiously. One day after I had been killing them all week prior, I went to flippn' the wood on the dam, nothing..over and over, no bites...I started to take the length off the tail section to shorten up the profile of the bait, and once I got it down to about 1 and 1/2 inch , texas rigged, BINGO! man thats what they wanted that day...hard to believe sometimes the mood of the bass....
My only experience with the craw comming back with a pincher gone, is that the bluegills are nippin' at them...or thats what I've always heard was happening..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 02:56 PM   #14
Hawgin'
BassFishin.Com Member

My buddy caught a 2lbs, 14 inch bass one day while we were out that died in the livewell. Since it was already dead he decided to keep the fillets, and as he was working on it he noticed a hard lump in it's stomach. We cut it open, and there was a claw in there that looked like it came off a freaking lobster. It was a blue claw, which is strange because I have never seen a blue crawdad before. The fish came from a small farm pond with a mud bottom and very little structure.
Hawgin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 03:36 PM   #15
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, on the article I read, they dumped a mixed lot and watched the smallies feed. They included small, medium and large...some had only one pincer, some none. As I recall, and it's been a while, they went for the smallest first, then the medium wounded, the larger wounded and lastly took the healthy med and large last.

As for the blue claw.....yes, there are a couple species of blue crawfish. All in all, there are over 300 species in the USA alone.

There was a fellow on one of the boards raising blue craws. He finally found a large market in Japan for them....and is doing well raising and selling.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 07:34 PM   #16
NCYankee

I think the crawdad was about 3 inches, so I'd say 7 inches is a good guess.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 08:13 PM   #17
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

A lot of times the crayfish carapace and claws will turn bright colors after they've been dead for a while. Depending on the species the colors can range from blue to green to red, pretty much any color. Thats why jigs and crawfish imitating baits come in so many colors. Also, I've seen a lot of people mention riprap and sand, but don't forget about clay banks and flats. These areas can be loaded with crayfish, I like taking a jig or a square lipped crank in crawfish color and bouncing it around these areas. Some times of the year bass will stack up and gorge themselves on craws around seemingly void clay banks and flats. Another thing I like to do is get dirty and dig up a few crayfish in the lakes and rivers I like to fish to see what colors they are to better mimic the basses prey item.
squack15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.