Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-11, 08:49 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default New gear suggestions.

Gonna be getting more a new rod and reel this winter. Was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'd like to get a new spinning reel first off.

- This reel WILL get wet (perhaps submerged), and will primarily be used for wading the river for smallies.

- Must be corrosion resistant. I'm also thinking the fewer bearing I can get away with, the better. Less parts be get wrecked from the water getting in them. These bearing also have to very corrosion resistant.

- Light weight is also a high priority, under 9.5oz is preferred, as I'll be holding this reel neck high to keep it out of the water.

- A water-proof drag would also probably be a good idea.

- High gear ratio. One of the grips I have about my Exceler is it's slow speed.... not fun to have a reel forever to pick up slack when jerking tubes off the bottom.

- $100 max, I'm willing to find real on e-bay.

I'm thinking a 2000 size, and will use braid on it.

Next a slop rod. The lakes hear a darn grassy in the summer, and a slop specific rod would be awesome!

- over 7 foot, under 7' 6".
- powerful
- strong
- a good tip for casting and working frogs, but still enough to punch with if need be.
- no more then 60, or 70 bucks. No need for light, and sensitive rod here, I see no reason for high dollar rod. Again willing to search for deals on e-bay..

Thanks for any help yall.
Old 11-15-11, 09:09 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Pflueger Supreme, the 25 size. Their sizing is a little off from standard. Corrosion resistance won't be a big deal as you're not in salt water. Maintain the reel well, clean and relube every month or so depending on how often it gets wet and how wet it gets. If it gets submerged, clean it.

Can't be much help with the rod. Pick a brand/model you like in a H power and get it. I use a Loomis MBR844C IMX for this - 7' H F rated for 1/4-1oz lures. Something with a similar rating, maybe a little longer should work great. I definitely prefer a F action to XF for this.

BB
Old 11-15-11, 09:16 PM   #3
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bass boss, If you are sure the reel will get wet, then don't buy an expensive reel of any brand. None of them are water proof or corrosion proof. The best advice I could give you would be to get a shimano sonora or similar reel for 40 bucks or less. For the first year or 2, it will feel like a million bucks, then it will start to get sloppy and you can pitch it in the trash and buy a new one. That would be way cheaper even than buying a high quality one and having it serviced regulary. On top of that, you get a new reel every few years.
http://www.poorfish.com/p-11174-shim...son2500fb.aspx
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 09:43 PM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Bassboss (no space, lol), If you are sure the reel will get wet, then don't buy an expensive reel of any brand. None of them are water proof or corrosion proof. The best advice I could give you would be to get a shimano sonora or similar reel for 40 bucks or less. For the first year or 2, it will feel like a million bucks, then it will start to get sloppy and you can pitch it in the trash and buy a new one. That would be way cheaper even than buying a high quality one and having it serviced regulary. On top of that, you get a new reel every few years.
I also thought about that. And I think you've convinced me! All though I was thinking the Abu garcia cardinal would better. Tried and true reel if there ever was one right?
Old 11-15-11, 09:51 PM   #5
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I also thought about that. And I think you've convinced me! All though I was thinking the Abu garcia cardinal would better. Tried and true reel if there ever was one right?
There are a lot of very decent spinning reels in that price range. My dad got a sonora a few years ago. he doesn't use it a lot, and it still feels like brand new. For 40 bucks, you just can't go wrong with it. If you use the heck out of it, it will wear out faster than a high quality reel, but it's cheap enough to be considered disposible. Thats probably the reel i would buy if i was going to wade or fish around brackish water.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 10:33 PM   #6
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This time of year you could easily find a $100 reel for $40 bucks.
If your brand or model specific may take a little more searching but can be done.
Pro reel may know some lubes that are better than others for frequently wet reels.
I wade frequently and you may be amazed how few times you actually submerge a reel. ( I'm 5'5" and wade up to mid-chest)
There's a recent thread on drying reels. I'm sure you've been there. Lot of good advice.
Unless your experience tells you that you'll be dunking reels alot I wouldn't worry as much.
But I agree with the rest, probably wouldn't start high end either.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 11:14 PM   #7
keithdog

I don't know much about spinning reels, but for a slop rod I have a suggestion. my rod for that situation is a Garcia Vedetta VTC73-7. It is a 7'3" H/XF rod. It is a little more than you said you want to spend at $89.99 but for a few more bucks, it's a great rod. Enough tip action for easy casting and all the strength to haul any bass out of heavy cover. I love this rod! I have it paired with a Revo S and 50 pound braid.
Old 11-16-11, 05:38 AM   #8
islandbass

If you're wading, you should expect to get the reel dunked as a given. Granted it won't be intentional but it will happen. I think taking a preventative approach for the after the fact dunk is one excellent way to prolong the life expectancy of the reel.

If it get dunked, I will take it apart and clean it. Even if you can't don't see any evidence of it, tiny particles of dirt and other things can and will get into the reel when it is submerged. It really does not take that much effort to open the reel and remove any water that might have gotten into the reel. All you need is a little towel and dab out the water.

Just because it's an inexpensive reel doesn't mean we shouldn't take care of them. $40.00 is definitely inexpensive, but if you go the disposable route, you will eventually spend enough on replacements to buy a Stella. Stella!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-11, 07:07 AM   #9
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Bass boss, If you are sure the reel will get wet, then don't buy an expensive reel of any brand. None of them are water proof or corrosion proof. The best advice I could give you would be to get a shimano sonora or similar reel for 40 bucks or less. For the first year or 2, it will feel like a million bucks, then it will start to get sloppy and you can pitch it in the trash and buy a new one. That would be way cheaper even than buying a high quality one and having it serviced regulary. On top of that, you get a new reel every few years.
+1 i have a Sonora and used it for 6 to 7 months fishing Allens Creek (a brackish tributary of Tampa) bay fishing for Reds and Snook. I was always wading! I actually preferred my Sonora over my Penn Battle (a much more exspensive reel made more for salt water) I washed and re lubed it and actually brought it back to NC with me. But no reel is water proof so.....
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 09:45 AM   #10
Bassboss

I thought about the vendetta to keith. I think I could probably pick up one around that price range on ebay.

As far as the Sonora goes, would the Sedona offer me any more or any less. Because it just looks ssssooooo much better then Sonora. lol

Nice red btw CB.
Old 11-16-11, 11:03 AM   #11
Bryan

I've used a Sedona on my lightest setup for probably 7 or 8 years. Caught thousands of fish with that reel. Never done any maintenance on it either, although it hasn't seen much saltwater use. It's not nearly as smooth as some of my more expensive reels, but it's been totally reliable.

I'll bet those Sonoras are good too though. If they can handle reds they can handle anything.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11, 06:23 PM   #12
Crankbait

Not much difference.....$10 more
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11, 07:50 PM   #13
3dkicker

I've left Shimano (Sahara's mostly) and gone Abu with the 500 series Cardinal. The Shimano's did really well for me but the Cardinal is a better reel IMO. Pretty much the same price range $50-70 depending on if you find them on sale.
Old 11-17-11, 10:05 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
I've left Shimano (Sahara's mostly) and gone Abu with the 500 series Cardinal. The Shimano's did really well for me but the Cardinal is a better reel IMO. Pretty much the same price range $50-70 depending on if you find them on sale.
I've definitely heard allot of good things about the cardinal. Had an older friend who used nothing but them for bass and walleye (Nice guy, pastors son. class of 08, varsity QB, anyway, lol).

Gonna be a tough choice.
Old 11-18-11, 09:43 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My only experience with spinning reels under $100 has been with the Shimano Sahara (the model before the FD) and a Cardinal 301.

I actually ended up selling the Sahara after using it about 4-5 times. I did not like the overall feel of it. While the new ones are supposed to be better, but the old one just didn't do it for me.

The Cardinal was the first reel that was my own and it went strong for about 5 years or so with no maintenance at all. It's got something wrong with it now, and I've get it set aside to see if a good cleaning will help it. I'd highly recommend the Cardinal series for a inexpensive spinning reel.

BB
Old 11-20-11, 08:20 PM   #16
TN_Bassin

Cardinal is a good option... so are the cheaper shimanos. Owned an old style Sahara (still own it but since retired) I used for wading and I swear this reel lasted forever(at least 5 years). Where I wade most of the time requires a swim so the reel was wet on a regular basis. Had the reel on a Berkley Lightning rod... good inexpesive combo that can take abuse.

For froggin, pick up an All Star 7' (or bigger if you prefer) H F. and put a Revo S on it... can't go wrong with this combo.
Old 11-21-11, 12:34 PM   #17
F16 1UB

Default No Fail Bale Spring

Do most reels have the NO FAIL BALE SPRING? 15 Years ago I switched to Shimano for that reason. Something to consider???
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.