Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-10, 11:11 PM   #1
Krtismo
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rod & Reel Warranties From Retailers?

Do any of you normally buy any type of rod/reel warranty coverage from retail stores? I've bought a cheap spinning combo and baitcast combo from dicks earlier this year and it was only like $4 for a replacement warranty for each setup. Well, the warranties have already come in handy and now that I'm planning to buy a much more expensive setup (veritas rod and citica reel), I'm nervous about breaking the rod or screwing up the reel because I'm pretty tough on my setups.

Does anyone usually buy a warranty for their equipment?
Krtismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 07:52 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Never have and probably never will.

For rods, there are a lot of companies that offer good warranties. Shimano comes to mind as having one of the best. St Croix has a similar warranty of higher end rods. Also, numerous companies that will replace a broken rod no questions asked for a small fee. G Loomis does this for $100 per rod (well worth it if you're fishing the $300-500 rods), Dobyns charges $60 to replace a rod, and I know there are others.

I'm not familiar with Abu's rod warranty on the new rods, but if it's going to break due to defects, it will within the warranty period.

As for reels, most don't come with warranties. Personally, I expect my reels not to break down unless I screw them up. And remember, taking your reels apart for annual maintenance will void a warranty on a reel anyways. (not sure if that applies to purchased warranties).

BB
Old 09-22-10, 07:17 PM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Like BB, never will. I have returned a BPS rod to BPS no questions asked and got a new one the broken one. Quantum has a simple return policy (using it now ) - return the broken rod (can break it down even further to have cheaper shipping) and they will send you a new one. I'm waiting on my two.

Not sure on reels. But I wouldn't send my money on a warranty for it.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 08:11 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ditto to never have, never will. Probably a bad choice on my part. Got warranties on just about everything else, but not on rods and reels. Never really thought about it. Not a bad idea if you are gonna get an expensive set up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.