Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-10, 06:58 AM   #1
Callin' In Slick
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Virtual taxidermy?

As a relative newbie I have never had a fish I caught taxidermed/replicated. I have heard this is often done using hardly any of the actual fish these days. If that's true I am in luck since the two fish I am thinking of having done are back in the lake they came from, hopefully getting even bigger. I have two or three pictures of each fish and know the weights of both. One I know the length as well. Can I have a replica made that looks real from this info? What else should I know about having this done? Pitfalls, price etc? Thanks for any feedback!
Old 09-30-10, 10:02 AM   #2
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yes you can. good to know a girth measurement too. Around 3-400 bucks around here for one.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-10, 12:05 AM   #3
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes, many species of replica fish are available thru most taxidermist.....from what I've seen in catalogs the blanks available to them are somewhat limited to a set variety of sizes and shapes, so you might not get an "exact" replica of your fish, but most of us wouldn't mind if they needed to bump it up a few ounces to the next bigger size would we?...lol

I'm not a taxidermist, but I am an airbrush artist, and from that standpoint alone I will say two words when it comes to chosing a taxidermist...."Shop around".....Don't just use the first guy you run across in the phone book....As with any trade, some guys are hacks, and some guys are artists, and some guys are true old world craftsmen, so look closely at their work...not just photo's of their work.....I don't know about ya'll, but I'd rather spend a few extra bucks to get top quality craftsmanship and artistry when it comes time to hang that trophy on the wall.
Old 10-05-10, 06:53 PM   #4
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Got one for you if you need some info. His work is impressive. Send me a PM and I'll send you some pics and information. He does baitfish, bluegill, trout, and others species too. He even does bottom scenes and cover if you want more than a wall mount. You'll have to talk to him about price.

Downside for most people is length of time it takes to get a real good fish done. Another is the price that some charge especially if it isn't quality work.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.