Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-10, 02:43 PM   #1
mike234
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Replacing Hooks on Crankbaits

I have been fishing cranks and losing a lot of fish. Especially LM when they come to top, do not even get time to try to jerk them back down before they throw the lure.

I read somewhere a time back to replace the treble hooks on crankbaits. Use one size smaller on the front hook and one size larger on the rear and of course use a good hook like the Owners.

I was wondering if anyone has done this and if so what were the results. Also would the lure would get hung up in the line more. Thanks
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 02:53 PM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I try to replace them with the same sized trebles.

I don't see why what you mentioned wouldn't work, but that means buying more trebles of two different sizes.

In addition, save yourself the trouble and invest in a good pair of split ring pliers. SR pliers are not equal and some are better at handling different sized split rings. I use two. One handles the smaller split rings and the other takes care of baits with larger split rings. If you can only get one, try to find one whose "tooth" is neither too thin or too thick. Too thin and it doesn't open the split ring wide enough to feed the hook eye through without extra effort on your part. Too thick and it will ruin smaller split rings.
Old 09-28-10, 03:07 PM   #3
rrw4258

I was having the same problems as you are describing. Since then, I have replaced most of my crankbait hooks with larger, sharper hooks. I use VMC Short Shank X-tra strong black nickel hooks. I go up a size as well, so if it had a 6 I use a 4. The short shank of the hook makes the hooks not get tangled up. I rarely lose a fish anymore on a crankbait...

Ryan
Old 09-28-10, 04:19 PM   #4
mike234

Thanks Island Bass I had not even thought of the pliers. Also RRW your ideal makes more sense to me than using two different sizes of hooks.
Old 09-29-10, 09:12 AM   #5
Mac2

This advice came from Zooker and helps a lot. Replace the rear hook with a longer shanked hook. Bandits will benefit from this replacement in particular.

You can also add an extra split ring on front and back between the existing ring and the hook to prevent the bass from gaining leverage against the crank body when fighting.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 02:27 PM   #6
walkeraviator

I like the Mustad Triple Grips...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 06:09 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well I (when I can afford it) will go to a bigger hook on the front.
Old 09-29-10, 07:46 PM   #8
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
This advice came from Zooker and helps a lot. Replace the rear hook with a longer shanked hook. Bandits will benefit from this replacement in particular.

You can also add an extra split ring on front and back between the existing ring and the hook to prevent the bass from gaining leverage against the crank body when fighting.
I agree, this does help to keep the fish from throwing the hook.

Something I might add, is that when I'm out of longer shank hooks, I will add a split ring to the rear hook and existing split ring, to make for a longer hook. I also like to use a SNAP attached directly to the eyelet of my crankbaits. So, what I'll do is, remove the split ring from the eyelet and move it to the rear hook of the crankbait.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 07:03 AM   #9
keithdog

I'm curious as to what rod your using also. If your using a MH rod or heavier, that could be part of the problem. A medium action rod will have a bit more flex to it which will take some leverage away from the bass durring the fight.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 08:24 AM   #10
BassBandit

BasStar Spintech.
Old 09-30-10, 06:57 PM   #11
mike234

Keithdog am using both a Shimano Crucial M & MH 7' Rods. I really have not paid that much attention to the MH rod but will try to take notice. This also happens on the M rod is why I thought it was the hooks. Will also try adding the extra split rings. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-30-10, 11:35 PM   #12
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well i (when i can afford it) will go to a bigger hook on the front.
Thats pretty much what I do.
Old 10-15-10, 11:43 PM   #13
hookset on 3

This is what won the BASS MASTER Classic. KVD had no fish jump off during the last two days.
Mustad KVD Elite Treble Hooks
Old 10-18-10, 12:18 PM   #14
syd

I have a friend who does a lot of of tornament fishing. He usually takes me out on his Ranger couple times a year. 2 weeks ago we caught 25 largemouth mostly on worms. But he caught 7-8 on crankbait. He replaces the front hook with a red treble hook normally size 4. Every fish he caught hit the red hook. I have been out twice since then. I have caught probably 10-12 fish last 2 trips on a silver / black back lipless crankbait. 80% of them were caught on the red hook.
Just an idea you may want to try.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 12:49 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Every bait I buy that has treble hooks on it (topwater baits included) does not get put in the boat until I replace the hooks with Mustad Triple Grips. The rod does have a lot to do with keeping fish buttoned up but the Triple Grips will save your butt a lot of the time.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.