Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-12, 07:33 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Specific brand question

Now I believe in line conditioner so no need to tell me to use it because I do to a fault, 2 1/2 bottles last season alone.
Anyways I was in need and Gander now carries Ardent line butter along with Reel Magic. Seeing reel magic went from $5 a can to $8, the same price as the Ardent. I've used every brand out there I think but it's been years siince an Ardent product, so I got the Ardent.
So I used appox. 4 squirts on a spinning setup and same on a baitcaster.
Now here's the surprise to me, My thumb seemed to actually feel liike I rubbed it in butter. There was like a greasy residue like if you crabed a stick of butter and then didn't wipe hands before handling the silverware.
Ya kind understand what I'm saying?
That greasey residue feeling. So is that why they call it line 'butter'?
I thought Reel magic was the only petroluim based conditioner left on market. Now there wasn't any runoff from line in the water like Reel Magic but there was definitly a residual feel I never experienced on KVD and others.
I actuall had to wipe the reel nobs a couple of times due to the buttery residue being transfered after thumbing the baitcaster.
Oh, the product other than this worked exteremly well, no complaints what so ever.
So anyone using Ardent conditioner and if so, are your experiences like mine.
Thanks everyone and have a great day, please.
Old 03-01-12, 07:46 AM   #2
kennethdaysale

Joe I used reel magic for years but have grown fond of KVD's product lately. As far as Ardent Reel Butter, the name might have been your first clue might be a dual purpose spray...line conditioner/turkey baster

.........nob.....knob....?
Old 03-01-12, 08:38 AM   #3
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

if you find the bigger bottles of reel majic without the aresol can, i have seen people clean there boat with at the ramp, ouit of water of course, but hear people cleaning there computer screens with it, it crazy
Old 03-01-12, 08:53 AM   #4
joedog

Dang Ken, This NOB will get one by you...you just wait and see.
I truely do proof read my stupidity.
Remember that post I did on the only certain letters had to be present in order for someone too truely understand what you were printing. Can't tell you how many times I've proof read just to find my mistake after posting anyway...sometimes days after I've read the threads numerous times.
Problem child, simple as that!
As always, thanks!
Old 03-01-12, 09:00 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

KVD Line and Lure is the only one I've used and only one I will. It's given me no reason to use anything else. It works great and doesn't leave any residue. And I've been using the same bottle for two seasons now.

BB
Old 03-01-12, 05:04 PM   #6
bassinbob

joe I haven't tried the Reel butter yet but was wondering what you think of The Professor Braid Aid Line Conditioner? Is it worth the $13?
Old 03-01-12, 05:14 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

Joe when your using the Ardent..Are you spraying the line the night before you fish,or spraying as your fishing?

Just curious,Ive never used the Ardent stuff.
I used Reel Magic for awhile,but found I had to re-condition after every other trip.Doesn't coat the line like KVD...Been on my KVD bottle for two years fishing year round.

However I dont have a retarded collection of combos
Old 03-01-12, 06:28 PM   #8
joedog

Waffle, not this time cause I bought it on the way to water.
I usually use conditioner at least an hour or two before though.
I also condition everytime I use a pole. If I conditioned last night and I'm fishing again in the morning, it gets conditioned again.
Bassin, that one I haven't tried because the name threw me. Braid to me is the one line that needs conditioner the least. But now with your help I've read it's just a NAME and not type specific.
In reading I hear how well it works compared to not using, just like everyone. But also just like everyone, they don't EVER compare results with other conditioners. Reviews are usually the same way.
But I can tell you BPS' conditioner with scent, stinks! And I'm not talking smell.
Old 03-01-12, 09:46 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Last year I went to Academy to pick up one more last minute Christmas gift for my dad. I had already got him a few things but wanted another small gift. I decided I would buy him a bottle of KVD Line and Lure Conditioner. Well Academy didn't have KVD L&L so I picked up a bottle of the Ardent Line Butter thinking to myself "if it sucks, it's the thought that counts LOL". Man it's a good thing that it's the thought that counts, that was the worst line conditioner I have ever seen. One day we were fishing and he kept complaining about how slick the Line Butter was. I figured there was no way it could be as bad as he was leading me to believe so I picked up his rod and made a cast. Holy God I about let the rod slip out of my hand LOL. That stuff is slick!!! I can't say whether or not it works because he hasn't touched that bottle since and I will never use anything but KVD Line and Lure Conditioner.
Old 03-01-12, 11:54 PM   #10
joedog

Kory, I just laughed through reading your whole post. It's almost exactly what went through my mind too.
If you hadn't experienced it, it may be hard to understand. But once you have, you'll never forget!
Mines going next to your dads!
Thanks for sharing!

I'm still laughing!
Old 03-02-12, 10:17 AM   #11
Rebbasser

Just keep in mind one thing: When it comes to fishing it really boils down to trial and error. You never know if you will like something until you try it.

I use the KVD Line and Lure and like BB have no reason to change but it was not until I tried it I knew I would like it.

I tried umpteen different lines until I settled on the ones that work for me which got a little $$ but now I know what works.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.