Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-12, 09:33 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Smile Are you HIGH too...

or is it just me?

Actually I'm wondering who looks forward to spring flooding.
Staying with my off center way of thinking. I look forward to the spring fishing, not just to get back to fishing but for the high water that comes with it. Yea, I like high water. For me it opens up a huge amount of areas that remain unfishable without it. The flooded areas are usually filled with grubs, worms, frogs, bug hatches ext. Fish feed heavier and more actively. Competion for food is always good in my eyes. Makes the fish react and react quickly. I know, thier spring feeding after the winter 'fast' anyways but high water just seems to intensify this natural occurance. Shore slaming becomes an asset not a liability. Shallow water heats faster EVEN if the air temp doesn't.
I grew up on the upper Mississippi River, (LaCrosse,Wi.) and spring flooding was just assumed. Even if the snows were light all winter, somewhere up north they weren't.
The walleye fishers have been boat to boat fishing at the dams for weeks already at that time and river bass just seem to be wanting in on things. Fast water meant small mouth at the rock dams, Trout filling the creeks the crappie stageing for the spawn....oh ya, almost forgot....THE COLLEGE GIRLS new spring outfits or better put...lack of outfits.
Add a street with 300 bars and a Brewery.....You just may be talking HEAVEN to a young man ?................................................. .................................................. ......
.................................................. .............................Ok I'm back!

So do you want to get HIGH?
Or do you prefer things to stay LOW and SLOW?
Old 03-04-12, 12:14 PM   #2
joedog

Looks like I made everyone's 'LIST'.
Old 03-04-12, 01:52 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

High water is all fine and dandy in the lakes for me. A black n blue jig and buzzbait is all I need to catch fish! But in the rivers... I'm not to fond of it to say the least. First and foremost the water current gets swifter and much harder, and dangerous to wade. The fish seem to shut down as well, I think that's mainly because of the murkier water. But if you find a clearer feeder creek you can find some fish on the "mud line." The Main river and the stream waters stay suppurate for a little ways down stream, the main river's water is warmer, but the cleaner stream water is cooler. The bass like to sit on the edge using the murky water as an ambush point... the fishing doesn't last long there, and you can milk a place out pretty fast, but it's fishing!
Old 03-05-12, 08:09 AM   #4
Mike304
BassFishin.Com Member

We haven't gotten a lot of snow up here in NY SO FAR! seems like march has been pretty wet the last couple years so we'll have to wait and see. Right now its not looking great. Last year was ridiculous.
Old 03-08-12, 07:59 PM   #5
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

high water might be the ticket for daytime fishing, but it is a curse for night fishing.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 09:45 PM   #6
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post
high water might be the ticket for daytime fishing, but it is a curse for night fishing.
Wow do I hear that loud and clear!
Been thier.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.