Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-10, 03:15 AM   #1
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Setting the hook with plastics

I've been fishing with plastics for a long time. It's one of my favorite methods to fish. Even though I've been doing it for a long time I gotta say i'm no expert. Sometimes i think I'm not waiting long enough before I try to set the hook. When i feel a bite I try and set the hook. I know I should wait a few seconds but I get anxious and rip the line. How long is the average time to wait before setting the hook? I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts.
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 06:09 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hmm. it really depends on the kind of a bite it is. If it's like *tap tap tap* then that the bass sucking it in, so about a two or 3 second wait. If it's a big yank it's usually it grabbing the tail and running, so I'll wait about 4 or 5 seconds. With a weightless senko or wacky rig, 4 or 5 seconds again. A senko is wider bait, so it'll take a while for it to get it in. A wacky rig is (like a trick worm) is thin but the hook is in the middle, so you gotta wait a while unless it's a small 4" worm. With a 10" worm, I'll wait a good long time 6 to 7 seconds even!
Old 09-08-10, 06:57 AM   #3
keithdog

I don't really have a wait period. Once I detect a bite, I reel in the line untill it's tight and then send the hook home. Most of the time a bass is going to try to make fast work of swallowing it's prey. If however something just don't seem right to the bass it may spit it out and back in a couple times.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 07:04 AM   #4
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yeah... I wait just about as long as it takes to lower my rod tip reel out teh slack, say some witty catch phrase like"uh oh" or " there he is" and yank... i have found that if you wait too long, you hook em in the gullet. I would rather miss a few fish than kill a few fish that get hooked that deep...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 07:12 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

There really isn't a specific answer.

Sometimes you'll nail em with a quick set, sometimes they won't have it all the way in their mouths and you'll miss. But the same goes for waiting too long. Sometimes they need more time to get it in their mouths and you'll get em, but other times if you wait, they'll drop it.

Personally, I'd rather err on the side of too fast than too slow. Maybe just slow it down a bit from what you're doing it.

BB
Old 09-08-10, 07:40 AM   #6
bassboogieman

If I feel a pickup, I take up any slack and if I feel weight - set the hook.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 08:10 AM   #7
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Just depends how big your plastics is and how long it will take them to chew it up... some of my fish lately ive been waiting 1-2 min each fish and im not hooking them deep... And i know you guys are saying what !!! yep timed it 1.20 min lol
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 09:02 AM   #8
HarveysMinnow

Once again, let's look at this from the fish's perspective: He sees the bait and it either looks appetizing or it angers him by swimming through his territory. He decides to suck it in. In the next second, or seconds, the Bass decides if he will keep it or reject it. To paraphrase what Keith said above, the Bass may sometimes take a few seconds to make up his mind.

Now, during that short time that the soft bait is in Mr. Bass' mouth, at least two things are happening: 1. The Bass is deciding whether to swallow or reject your bait. 2. You feel the strike and react. Another factor may be whether another Bass is nearby. I've actually seen this in clear water: a bass will grab the bait and seemingly out of nowhere another one will charge in and try to steal the bait. This is probably why a bass will sometimes run with the bait.

But, as BigBassin said, there really isn't a specific answer, and that's because there are so many variations. So one conclusion might be that, contrary to what the TV fishing shows present, nobody is going to hook and land each and every Bass that encounters their bait.

Old 09-08-10, 01:12 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Ditto for me.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 02:42 PM   #10
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post
Just depends how big your plastics is and how long it will take them to chew it up... some of my fish lately ive been waiting 1-2 min each fish and im not hooking them deep... And i know you guys are saying what !!! yep timed it 1.20 min lol
there is no earthly reason to wait that long...ever
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 02:44 PM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Yeah... I wait just about as long as it takes to lower my rod tip reel out teh slack, say some witty catch phrase like"uh oh" or " there he is" and yank... i have found that if you wait too long, you hook em in the gullet. I would rather miss a few fish than kill a few fish that get hooked that deep...
Haha, me too.
Old 09-08-10, 03:12 PM   #12
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, maybe I am yankin too hard. Because its seems like the majority of my strikes I have been missing. One day I was in an area were the small mouths' were feeding like crazy. All the times I waited and let the fish take my worm seemed to set the hook better. Also, I was giving the fish some slack to take the worm. Then when I thought it was enough time I would tighten up the slack and set the hook. I just think it might be better to wait a few seconds. Sometimes it gets a little tricky.

Also, sometimes I feel that its better to have some slack on the line. Even though I was taught to always keep the line fairly tight. Both methods seem to work.
Old 09-08-10, 06:49 PM   #13
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinFreak View Post
Well, maybe I am yankin too hard. Because its seems like the majority of my strikes I have been missing. One day I was in an area were the small mouths' were feeding like crazy. All the times I waited and let the fish take my worm seemed to set the hook better. Also, I was giving the fish some slack to take the worm. Then when I thought it was enough time I would tighten up the slack and set the hook. I just think it might be better to wait a few seconds. Sometimes it gets a little tricky.

Also, sometimes I feel that its better to have some slack on the line. Even though I was taught to always keep the line fairly tight. Both methods seem to work.
What equipment are you using? If your using a medium weight rod with a medium action tip and mono line which stretches to begin with, you may just not be getting enough power in your hookset.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 06:49 PM   #14
gonefishin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
there is no earthly reason to wait that long...ever

You would think so... I've been picking up more fish than anyone I've talked to ...caught a 3lb smallie last weekend
Old 09-08-10, 07:29 PM   #15
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post
You would think so... I've been picking up more fish than anyone I've talked to ...caught a 3lb smallie last weekend
ok, wait...are you saying you are waiting that long and then get a bite? or that you get the bite, then wait 1-2 minutes to set the hook? cause one of these makes sense,the other is just ,well...ill leave it at that
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 07:37 PM   #16
Dave63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
What he said. Or if it's an aggressive take, I set right away.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 08:08 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

When fishing plastics, I always set the hook with a little slack in the line.

Other techniques (like jigs) however, require a hookset on tight line. So I always reel the slack in first.

BB
Old 09-08-10, 09:05 PM   #18
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
What equipment are you using? If your using a medium weight rod with a medium action tip and mono line which stretches to begin with, you may just not be getting enough power in your hookset.
I've been using medheavy lately with spinner and baitcast reels. Spinner has mono 10,12lbs baitcaster has braid 20,30lbs.
Old 09-08-10, 09:09 PM   #19
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Also, I noticed that I pull the rod to the side sometimes. I heard that could be an issue. Do you think I would set more hooks if I pulled straight up. I hear its ok to set the hook on the side with carolina rigging. Is this true?
Old 09-08-10, 10:43 PM   #20
bassinbob

I slowly pull the slack out of the line. If I feel resistance I'll set the hook. Unless it's a hard hit . Then I'll set the hook immediatly.
Old 09-08-10, 10:51 PM   #21
TN_Bassin

Ya know, I kind of figure out how long to wait when I'm on the water. When I feel a bite and set the hook right then and miss fish I'll let them have it for a little longer. The opposite is true if I let em have it too long and they let go.
Old 09-08-10, 11:15 PM   #22
Jrob78

Not saying this is the case but occasionally you'll run into panfish that hit larger baits. They normally violently "peck" but obviously can't take the bait. You can normally feel the difference in bites though.
Old 09-09-10, 02:44 PM   #23
Raul

Thereīs no specific answer, and as BB said: tap tap tap, no, I donīt think so:

1 st tap ---> the fish has inhaled your bait
2 nd tap ---> the fish has spit your bait
3 rd tap ---> thatīs me tapping you on the shoulder asking you why you didnīt set the hook on the first tap.

Maintaining contact with your bait is what is all about, by maintaining contact I donīt mean you feeling the bait knocking on something, by contact I mean maintaining visual contact with the line, feeling what the bait is doing and what itīs not doing, feeling the drag on the line.

Why because about half of the time you donīt feel the bite, you determine the bite because thereīs something different about it, ex:

1.- the fish bites and swims away with the bait in itīs mouth, if you keep eye contact you can see the line swimming away,
2.- you donīt feel the bite but what tells you the fish has it is that you donīt feel the drag of the bait pulling the line as it sinks,
3.- other times you can determine the fish has the bait because it takes too long for the bait to sink.

So if you are waiting to feel a tap the only tap youīll feel is when the fish has spit the bait and sometimes not even that.

Any time you feel something different it ainīt gonna hurt if you pull and reel in because hooksets are for free.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 03:20 PM   #24
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Any time you feel something different it ainīt gonna hurt if you pull and reel in because hooksets are for free.
Raul, probably the best 'bottom line' in this entire thread !

Old 09-09-10, 05:45 PM   #25
gonefishin3

Embry its how long that fish is chewing on that worm the first inital bite I let slack and wait for a long time I. Thought it was the oddest thing...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.