Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-10, 01:48 AM   #1
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Tackle Boxes/Bags

Which do you prefer? A tackle box or a tackle bag? I have a nice tackle box that fits almost everything. I really like it, but after a long hike with the box, I am starting to think I should have a bag. Some of the bags out there are pretty nice and all, with the many pockets and stuff.
I bought a really nice worm bag from BPS. I removed all the plastic sheets from inside and can fit more things in it now. The only problem is I like to have all my stuff together and not have separate tackle. I don't ever just fish plastics. If I'm on the lake I like to have everything just in case I need something else. This worm bag is slowly becoming my main tackle box but it doesn't hold all my stuff.

Last edited by FishinFreak; 09-10-10 at 02:08 AM.
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 07:03 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a large old Plano box I used for a long time. But I've converted to tackle bags because I couldnt get everything I wanted to carry in my box anymore. I now use a Cabelas Magnum Tackle Storage bag and a Flambeau AZ6 bag. I also use a dedicated spinnerbait box that holds about 40 spinnerbaits. Using this system keeps things better organized, and allows me to simply pull from from the bags just the boxes I know I will need on days when I don't want to take everything. The larger bag holds all my plastics seperated in the smaller interior boxes allong with a couple interior boxes for other hard baits. The AZ6 is my crankbait box along with other things held in the smaller outside pockets which really come in handy! All my interior boxes are labled on the side so I can open the bags lid and see what is where instantly.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 07:26 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I find that I can keep things better organized in a tackle bag.

I put my most used lures in Falcon FTO boxes because they keep everything neat and untangled. Anything that's let over goes in Plano 3700 boxes (Like odd crankbait colors I rarely use, extras of ones I use a lot, etc).

Then, all the FTO boxes go into a BPS tackle bag that happens to fit the weird sized boxes nicely. All my plastics are sorted by type into large ziplocs and then go into an identical tackle bag.

Side pockets keep pliers and misc. stuff. These bags also have mesh water bottler holders. One had my KVD L&L, another has a bottle of scent.

BB
Old 09-10-10, 09:34 AM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use one of these. So far it has done me really well. The bottom portion holds 3600 size boxes and I use the top portion to hold soft plastics. I do like BB does, I use the large ziplocks you can buy from bps to organize my plastics. My backpack is currently morbidly obese, I have got to make myself take some stuff out of it. I am a bit of a tackle hoarder. The bag has lasted all season stuffed to the gills, it probably weighs 50 lbs. Good tackle bag for $30.
Old 09-10-10, 09:37 AM   #5
WaffleJaw

I also feel more organized with a tackle bag and using the storage boxes.I carry 5 boxes in mine...The 4 larger boxes are divided into categories for all my bass lures...And I squeezed a smaller box in for all finesse tackle.

For my plastics,I went and had my Dad sew on a nylon strap/clip so I could take my Bass master bag (the little free one you get when you sign up) and filled it with plastics and other crap to strap on top...So when I get to my fishing spot,I unstrap and have two bags handy.

Since I mainly bank fish,and this bag weighs a good ton,I took the back straps off my disc golf bag and use it on my tackle bag so I could carry it like a back pack and free up both hands
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tackle bag.JPG
Views:	608
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	5772  
Old 09-10-10, 10:08 AM   #6
walkeraviator

I like the bags because as seasons and conditions change, you can switch out teh boxes inside to different baits or colors before you head out if you are bank fishing. And if ou are fishing out of a boat you can simply leave the bag at home and store teh boxes in an organized fashion in teh boat. I am looking into teh BPS backpack soon... as right now i have to carry a plano speed bag seperately with my soft plastics in it...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 12:53 PM   #7
Krtismo
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I use one of these. So far it has done me really well. The bottom portion holds 3600 size boxes and I use the top portion to hold soft plastics. I do like BB does, I use the large ziplocks you can buy from bps to organize my plastics. My backpack is currently morbidly obese, I have got to make myself take some stuff out of it. I am a bit of a tackle hoarder. The bag has lasted all season stuffed to the gills, it probably weighs 50 lbs. Good tackle bag for $30.

I just got one of these too, and I really like it.
Krtismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 12:58 PM   #8
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've got a older Plano Tackle box that holds 5 3500 and 3 3700 boxes, plus room for tools and bags etc. I also have a soft sided plastics bag that holds around 50 bait bags.
The problem with this box is it's way to heavy. I store all my lures in 3700's in which I have many. The 3500's are for jigs, hooks, sinkers and terminal tackle. I have to try ti figure what 3700's I'll be using for a day on the water.
I'm looking at the Cabela's bags like Keithdog has. The mag stores quite a few 3700's.The prices for the bags with boxes isn't to bad. I'll probably order the magnum over the winter. This will give me some time to try to reorganize my gear.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 02:06 PM   #9
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinFreak View Post
Which do you prefer? A tackle box or a tackle bag? I have a nice tackle box that fits almost everything. I really like it, but after a long hike with the box, I am starting to think I should have a bag. Some of the bags out there are pretty nice and all, with the many pockets and stuff.
I bought a really nice worm bag from BPS. I removed all the plastic sheets from inside and can fit more things in it now. The only problem is I like to have all my stuff together and not have separate tackle. I don't ever just fish plastics. If I'm on the lake I like to have everything just in case I need something else. This worm bag is slowly becoming my main tackle box but it doesn't hold all my stuff.
70 bucks & free shipping.

Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 05:26 PM   #10
Dave63

I've got one of each, but I'm going to transition to bags/boxes. I think you can get more stuff in them.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 07:01 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0943 View Post
I've got a older Plano Tackle box that holds 5 3500 and 3 3700 boxes, plus room for tools and bags etc. I also have a soft sided plastics bag that holds around 50 bait bags.
The problem with this box is it's way to heavy. I store all my lures in 3700's in which I have many. The 3500's are for jigs, hooks, sinkers and terminal tackle. I have to try ti figure what 3700's I'll be using for a day on the water.
I'm looking at the Cabela's bags like Keithdog has. The mag stores quite a few 3700's.The prices for the bags with boxes isn't to bad. I'll probably order the magnum over the winter. This will give me some time to try to reorganize my gear.
Dave
Your going to love that bag my friend. There are plenty of outside pockets, 2 of which will hold a 3600 box.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 10:54 PM   #12
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
I also feel more organized with a tackle bag and using the storage boxes.I carry 5 boxes in mine...The 4 larger boxes are divided into categories for all my bass lures...And I squeezed a smaller box in for all finesse tackle.

For my plastics,I went and had my Dad sew on a nylon strap/clip so I could take my Bass master bag (the little free one you get when you sign up) and filled it with plastics and other crap to strap on top...So when I get to my fishing spot,I unstrap and have two bags handy.

Since I mainly bank fish,and this bag weighs a good ton,I took the back straps off my disc golf bag and use it on my tackle bag so I could carry it like a back pack and free up both hands
Thats an awesome idea Waffle! I give you an A for ingenuity! I have that same little bag from BM mag. Pretty Cool!
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 12:34 AM   #13
gonefishin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I have a large old Plano box I used for a long time. But I've converted to tackle bags because I couldnt get everything I wanted to carry in my box anymore. I now use a Cabelas Magnum Tackle Storage bag and a Flambeau AZ6 bag. I also use a dedicated spinnerbait box that holds about 40 spinnerbaits. Using this system keeps things better organized, and allows me to simply pull from from the bags just the boxes I know I will need on days when I don't want to take everything. The larger bag holds all my plastics seperated in the smaller interior boxes allong with a couple interior boxes for other hard baits. The AZ6 is my crankbait box along with other things held in the smaller outside pockets which really come in handy! All my interior boxes are labled on the side so I can open the bags lid and see what is where instantly.

Same bag I use love the magnums I can hide a dead body in it its so big. I'm just cleaning mine out tonight and tomarow morn ( I have a bad habbit of just throwing my used worms in there)
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 01:46 PM   #14
dave0943

Default Cabela's Mag Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Your going to love that bag my friend. There are plenty of outside pockets, 2 of which will hold a 3600 box.
I've had my eye on them since spring. They look awesomw. I'll pull the trigger soon.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 02:28 PM   #15
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I just bought a new tourney choice bag at Academy sports. It came with 5 large boxes, and a nice line clip attached by a spring coil. It also has a side pocket with a line spooling feature. I can also get a smaller box in the back pocket, though I don't need to at this time. It also has a nice pouch on the side for my pliers and knife. Boxes are old hat. I'd carry my UB's around in a pillow case before I bought a box.

Old 09-12-10, 12:53 PM   #16
Ground Pounder

I've downsized everything to fit into my free B.A.S.S. tackle bag, because it stores easily right into the main pocket of my rod quiver bag (below), along with my folding chair and 5 rigs for easy transport. It's really convenient as I can just load up and throw it into the truck, and it frees up both hands.

The tackle bag easily stores 4 plano 3500 boxes for hard baits and terminal tackle:
1 box - jigs, blade baits and spoons.
1 box - crankbaits, jerkbaits and topwaters
1 box - gutted all the compartment walls, and store spinnerbaits and buzzbaits
1 box - fit the inserts, lined with blue painters tape, and store terminal tackle. The painters tape helps keep everything from mixing together after being banged around in the bag all day.

I also get 20 bags of soft plastics in the extra room in the bag, including the pockets.

The rod quiver bag has a couple pockets where I store my tools.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	quiver bag unpacked.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	5781   Click image for larger version

Name:	quiver bag packed.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	5782  
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 02:44 PM   #17
Jrob78

GP, that rod quiver looks pretty slick! Where did you get it?
Old 09-12-10, 04:44 PM   #18
Ground Pounder

Mother-in-law picked it up for me from ABC Distributing - was $10.95 + shipping.

http://www.abcdistributing.com/home/...82065-0RDR---2
Old 09-12-10, 05:16 PM   #19
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Pounder View Post
I've downsized everything to fit into my free B.A.S.S. tackle bag, because it stores easily right into the main pocket of my rod quiver bag (below), along with my folding chair and 5 rigs for easy transport. It's really convenient as I can just load up and throw it into the truck, and it frees up both hands.

The tackle bag easily stores 4 plano 3500 boxes for hard baits and terminal tackle:
1 box - jigs, blade baits and spoons.
1 box - crankbaits, jerkbaits and topwaters
1 box - gutted all the compartment walls, and store spinnerbaits and buzzbaits
1 box - fit the inserts, lined with blue painters tape, and store terminal tackle. The painters tape helps keep everything from mixing together after being banged around in the bag all day.

I also get 20 bags of soft plastics in the extra room in the bag, including the pockets.

The rod quiver bag has a couple pockets where I store my tools.
Dude, I ordered that same rod holder on the 2nd. I am still waiting for delivery. How do you like yours?
Old 09-12-10, 05:27 PM   #20
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Pounder View Post
Mother-in-law picked it up for me from ABC Distributing - was $10.95 + shipping.

http://www.abcdistributing.com/home/...82065-0RDR---2
I've never seen one of those before, looks like it could be pretty useful for bank fishermen. Kind of like a golf bag for rods. Do you like yours? How practical is it?
Old 09-12-10, 05:39 PM   #21
Ground Pounder

The bag itself is pretty basic, and I wouldn't use it alone. It's floppy, and if you just have your rods with nothing inside the bag itself, it would put a lot of stress on the rod. But putting the chair in there makes all the difference, as all of the rigidity comes from the chair. So for me it works perfect.

The pockets themselves are kinda' pointless, as they're very narrow and deep (to the point where I can't get my hands in there). I to have a couple spiral-type rod holders in there. I added an old fanny-sack to the bag to carry my tools and bug spray.

It works extremely well for me, and is definitely worth 11 bucks.
Old 09-12-10, 06:03 PM   #22
Jrob78

That's cool, it looked floppy in your picture but looked rigid on the website.
Old 09-13-10, 02:44 AM   #23
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I still use the old Plano over/under and the Bassmaster bag Waffle was talking about. That is a handy little bag.
Old 09-13-10, 10:12 AM   #24
Old Hooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post

That looks like a pretty good set up. Think it's time to see if I can't rig up something similar. My old Plano hard box is getting to be a chore to lug around.
Old 09-15-10, 10:53 AM   #25
Ebbetsguy

My favorite is no longer made, The Ochee Chobee Fats bags that Walmart sold really were great bags.
I now have a Cabelas bag, pictured and I am more than happy with it. It usually drops down from 60 bucks to 40 bucks a couple of times a year and thats when its a real buy, including boxes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s7_123799_imageset_01.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	5794  
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.